Grrrrrrr: got green card

Here are the 3 options I am considering:

1) Do we file the I90 today (which requires returning the GC), then go to the Dec 1 infopass appointment?

2) Do keep the GC, wait until the Dec 1 infopass appointment, then file the I90? (we lose a precious 2 weeks time)

3) Or do we just chance it on the trip to Shanghai? (I just dont feel right about that, I do think a customs official would give her trouble).

Officially you should be able to get the stamp with the welcome letter.

Someone else, can't remember who, took their green card and paperwork when they went to get the stamp and was able to file it on the spot.

I'd be reluctant to turn loose of the card itself until you have the stamp in the passport, because you never know what new policy the USCIS will decide to implement and we know the erroneous green card and evidence of their error will get you one.

There shouldn't really be any downside to your wife being pissy with them, they have earned it and if they really piss her off by being anything less than appologetic she could ask if they would prefer her to take it up with HER government. That would get their attention. :coolthumb:

Just remember to tell her that the IO at the window had nothing to do with this mistake.

She was voicing her opinion to me as if she was talking to the IO (I tell them this, and I tell them that), and I told her the same thing (that the IO at the window has nothing to do with this mistake!).

Anyhow, I like your suggestion, and I think that is exactly what I will do, thanks! Ken

Anyone have any clue as to I-90 turnaround times to repair USCIS errors?

Mick might have idea, but I think he's on another road trip for another biometrics. :D

Oh, I have an idea alright. Welcome to the club, Ken. Li's original green card had the wrong birthdate. Took nine months and two trips to Memphis to correct. Finally received the second green card. Right birthdate, but wrong A number. Another trip to Memphs. Was told it would take 22 months to get it fixed. They did stamp her pasport. So, she has had no problems with travel and re-entry. It amazes me how these folks can make so many, many mistakes and we are the ones who have to bear the brunt of their incompetence.

Oh, and BTW Don, yes, we did shlep up to Nashville for the seventh set of biometrics. Now, we are waiting to hear about the removal of conditions. The letter we received from USCIS gave no time frame. Just said, if you haven't heard from us in six months, call us. :o

To give you some idea of how up to date these folks are, we checked Li's status on the national website. The last entry was: Application for AOS received!

Er...they received that in June 2003. I think that was around the time of our third set of fingerprints. Har har. :D

Anyway, Ken, just go and get that stamp. That's about all you can do. Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the reply and suggestion Mick, I do feel better about going on the infopass appt to get the stamp.

What gets me is when the IO approved her, I asked if she would get a stamp and he replied "We dont do that anymore, the green card is all she will need".

Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

• 2 weeks later...

1) Do we file the I90 today (which requires returning the GC), then go to the Dec 1 infopass appointment?

2) Do keep the GC, wait until the Dec 1 infopass appointment, then file the I90? (we lose a precious 2 weeks time)

3) Or do we just chance it on the trip to Shanghai? (I just dont feel right about that, I do think a customs official would give her trouble).

Someone else, can't remember who, took their green card and paperwork when they went to get the stamp and was able to file it on the spot.

I'd be reluctant to turn loose of the card itself until you have the stamp in the passport, because you never know what new policy the USCIS will decide to implement and we know the erroneous green card and evidence of their error will get you one.

There shouldn't really be any downside to your wife being pissy with them, they have earned it and if they really piss her off by being anything less than appologetic she could ask if they would prefer her to take it up with HER government. That would get their attention. :lol:

Just remember to tell her that the IO at the window had nothing to do with this mistake.

Well Lee, I agreed with your suggestion as it was the same thing I thought, but USCIS thought differently. No stamp today.

The IO said we had to return the GC with a completed I-90, and wait for the receipt, then bring the receipt to infopass, and then we could get the stamp.

I wouldnt mind this, except that a couple of days after Jie got her GC and I set up the infopass appt, she found out that her grandfather (86) has terminal lung cancer. I bought her a ticket to go see him for 10 days, and she was to leave this Sunday, Dec 3. The timing was good because I figured she would have the stamp today. But after being rejected at USCIS, I called customs at SFO to ask an officer what her chances would be of re-entering with this error on her GC.......he said it was very high risk to try to return with that error and that she probably would not get admitted back to the US.

Thus, I had to cancel the flight (at a fee of $150) since she had no stamp to return with.

Now we are back to where we were two weeks ago: inaccurate GC and need to file the I-90, and set up another infopass so we can bring the receipt and this time get the stamp.

You know, one would think that USCIS, which deals with thousands of immigrants from other countries, would put a procedure on their webpage for travel under this circumstance of an inaccurate GC. (Unless they did and I am the dunce for missing it) .

Anyhow, that is the procedure: return the GC with the I90, get the USCIS receipt, then go to infopass.

There shouldn't really be any downside to your wife being pissy with them, they have earned it and if they really piss her off by being anything less than appologetic she could ask if they would prefer her to take it up with HER government. That would get their attention. :lol:

Well Lee, I agreed with your suggestion as it was the same thing I thought, but USCIS thought differently. No stamp today.

The IO said we had to return the GC with a completed I-90, and wait for the receipt, then bring the receipt to infopass, and then we could get the stamp.

I wouldnt mind this, except that a couple of days after Jie got her GC and I set up the infopass appt, she found out that her grandfather (86) has terminal lung cancer. I bought her a ticket to go see him for 10 days, and she was to leave this Sunday, Dec 3. The timing was good because I figured she would have the stamp today. But after being rejected at USCIS, I called customs at SFO to ask an officer what her chances would be of re-entering with this error on her GC.......he said it was very high risk to try to return with that error and that she probably would not get admitted back to the US.

Thus, I had to cancel the flight (at a fee of $150) since she had no stamp to return with.

Now we are back to where we were two weeks ago: inaccurate GC and need to file the I-90, and set up another infopass so we can bring the receipt and this time get the stamp.

You know, one would think that USCIS, which deals with thousands of immigrants from other countries, would put a procedure on their webpage for travel under this circumstance of an inaccurate GC. (Unless they did and I am the dunce for missing it) .

Anyhow, that is the procedure: return the GC with the I90, get the USCIS receipt, then go to infopass.

What a big hassle to go thru for such a seemingly insignificant slipup, not to mention the time and money its going to cost to correct it.

I believe I would've ignored it and go about my life; but that's me.

good luck on getting it fixed.

It was last May that Leiqin and I had our interview. Now, 7 months later we still await, with nary a clue when we might expect her GC. I have a suspicion that the IO sat on our file after I sent him the additional evidence of our marriage.

In the meantime, Leiqin's 90 year old mother is ill. Her sister's say that the doctors want too much money to write a letter stating she is ill, so that we can apply for advance parole. My goal from early on in our marriage was to send my wife home to see her mother one last time.

I am so very angry with the process that can sit on and delay the GC issuance without any word on when or if we'll ever see it. 6 years my wife has lived a life struggling on her own, without the chance to return to visit her family. Now, finally, I can give her the opportunity to return that has escaped her for so long, yet we are just put on hold.

The cruelty and indifference that our government holds towards its citizens is beyond my comprehension.

Good luck, Ken.

Didn't mean to steal your thread.

In the meantime, Leiqin's 90 year old mother is ill. Her sister's say that the doctors want too much money to write a letter stating she is ill, so that we can apply for advance parole. My goal from early on in our marriage was to send my wife home to see her mother one last time.

Dennis, I read many posts on VisaJourney where posters claimed they were able to apply and get approved for AP without anything more than just stating that they wanted to visit family. Have you tried applying for AP for her without anything more than just stating that she wants to visit family?

It seems to have worked for many on VisaJourney. It might be worth a try.

Dennis, I read many posts on VisaJourney where posters claimed they were able to apply and get approved for AP without anything more than just stating that they wanted to visit family. Have you tried applying for AP for her without anything more than just stating that she wants to visit family?

It seems to have worked for many on VisaJourney. It might be worth a try.

Well then that's what I am going to do. I follow the advise of my immigration attorney, but seems I will just go it alone. He said that we could schedule another interview with an IO to discuss her case, so I will do that as well as see about AP.

Thanks!!

I wouldnt mind this, except that a couple of days after Jie got her GC and I set up the infopass appt, she found out that her grandfather (86) has terminal lung cancer. I bought her a ticket to go see him for 10 days, and she was to leave this Sunday, Dec 3.

What a big hassle to go thru for such a seemingly insignificant slipup, not to mention the time and money its going to cost to correct it.

It was a hassle, and a worthless one, but as I mentioned above, I wouldnt care either. As I said, the problem is she was booked to go to Shanghai tomorrow (Sunday Dec 3rd) to see her grandfather who has a very short time left with terminal cancer.

That was not something we wanted to ignore.

Getting her back into the states with an inaccurate GC is next to impossible and the whole issue was to try and assure a way back in.

I wouldnt mind this, except that a couple of days after Jie got her GC and I set up the infopass appt, she found out that her grandfather (86) has terminal lung cancer. I bought her a ticket to go see him for 10 days, and she was to leave this Sunday, Dec 3.

It was a hassle, and a worthless one, but as I mentioned above, I wouldnt care either. As I said, the problem is she was booked to go to Shanghai tomorrow (Sunday Dec 3rd) to see her grandfather who has a very short time left with terminal cancer.

That was not something we wanted to ignore.

Getting her back into the states with an inaccurate GC is next to impossible and the whole issue was to try and assure a way back in.

Ken,

I do sympathize for you and your wife. It just irritates me that the USCIS can't be more responsible for their carelessnesss and resolve any mistakes they make quickly.

They could've at least give you the stamp.

Edited by tywy_99 (see edit history)

Ya know...

This is just the type of bull crap we Americans deal with everyday...

The postoffice won't deliver our USCIS notice to my home address because it is not there... (The house)

Hello!!! I wake up and take a shower there every morning... I clean up my neighbors dog pooh after he dumps in my yard... I pay outrageous taxes each six months...

Social Security won't issue numbers to my children because their mother hasn't received her green card... what's next... the USCIS won't issue her a green card because the SSA hasn't issued the children their SSN's...

I better keep my mouth shut B)

tywy99 and esun41: I agree, this really is a bunch of crap and I cant believe that a simple error can take up to 6 months (or 9 in Mick's case) to fix.

And while this is stupid and frustrating, I gotta remind myself of one thing: nearly everyone will run into a snag, complication, or delay somewhere in the visa/aos process, and many members and SO's who cannot start their lives together because the hitch occured in the visa process. I count my blessings because we were fortunate to have a quick, smooth K1 process (6 months, 3 weeks). Despite the bungled GC, we are thankful that at least she is legally here with me, and not in China waiting on the visa.

We just wish there was an easier way to resolve their error, as well as instructions on how to do so, simply so she can travel to see her grandfather who does not have much time left.

Edited by ameriken (see edit history)