CFL Hainan

Okay plans changed... :D Now will be spending 9 months every year in Qionghai, Hainan (Sep-May) floating down the Wanquan River to the sea every day... :o Anybody want to buy a really nice place in Yunnan??? Here's a pic of our boat... :D

http://i13.tinypic.com/52qg8ba.jpg

Gee Roger Luli must have some good connections to have known about the earthquake a month early. That was what made you decide to sell the Yunnan place wasn't it :D Now with the potential of major earthquakes bringing down the place how much do you want for the high riisk place?

(psst Rog did you confirm that they wanted you at the opening ceremony as the official sacrifice? I hope you get out in time)

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Roger,

do you know if there's any residential complexes for sale in Bo'ao?

City proper QiongHai seems a bit far from the actual beach area but Bo'ao seems to be right on the coast. Or is Bo'ao like Yalong Bay of Sanya where there's only hotels and no private residential complexes?

Thanks!

That's right Lance. Boao is right on the coast and Qionghai is 20 km. away.The downsides to being right on the sea are more humidity and typhoons... :o There is the original town of Boao which is very small and I did not see any new development there. Then there is the new development area for the Asia-Pacific Forum. I know for sure that there is one new development there with all villas. This is way out of my price range but probably pocket change for you... :D In Qionghai there is quite a bit of new development and more hotels, restaurants, shops, etc. so we thought it a better choice for the half year we plan to be spending there... :D Also Qionghai has a great hot spring area 7 km away (further from the coast) and we LOVE hot spring pools... :D Check out our pics in the gallery section if you haven't yet... B)

One other comment about being "ON THE BEACH"... :D I don't know about your SO but my wife definitely DOES NOT WANT TO LIE AROUND ON THE BEACH... :o okay maybe after dark would be okay... :lol:

Edited by rogerluli (see edit history)

Okay plans changed... :D Now will be spending 9 months every year in Qionghai, Hainan (Sep-May) floating down the Wanquan River to the sea every day... :D Anybody want to buy a really nice place in Yunnan??? Here's a pic of our boat... :lol:

Gee Roger Luli must have some good connections to have known about the earthquake a month early. That was what made you decide to sell the Yunnan place wasn't it :D Now with the potential of major earthquakes bringing down the place how much do you want for the high riisk place?

(psst Rog did you confirm that they wanted you at the opening ceremony as the official sacrifice? I hope you get out in time)

You can have it for a song Dan... :o

Okay plans changed... :D Now will be spending 9 months every year in Qionghai, Hainan (Sep-May) floating down the Wanquan River to the sea every day... :lol: Anybody want to buy a really nice place in Yunnan??? Here's a pic of our boat... B)

You can have it for a song Dan... :o

Tell 'ya one thing Dan...I definitely do NOT want to be spending the summer on Hainan... :D Qionghai forecast for the next week: highs 95-93, lows 82-80... :o Yuxi, Yunnan: highs 80-78, lows 69-66... :D

Okay plans changed... :rolleyes: Now will be spending 9 months every year in Qionghai, Hainan (Sep-May) floating down the Wanquan River to the sea every day... :o Anybody want to buy a really nice place in Yunnan??? Here's a pic of our boat... :D

Gee Roger Luli must have some good connections to have known about the earthquake a month early. That was what made you decide to sell the Yunnan place wasn't it :gathering: Now with the potential of major earthquakes bringing down the place how much do you want for the high riisk place?

You can have it for a song Dan... :rotfl:

Tell 'ya one thing Dan...I definitely do NOT want to be spending the summer on Hainan... :huh: Qionghai forecast for the next week: highs 95-93, lows 82-80... :o Yuxi, Yunnan: highs 80-78, lows 69-66... :D

And did you check the humidity to go with those temps?

Being from Cali I'm not so worried about an earthquake that is only 6.4.

But the Hainan humidity now that scares me!

Being from Cali I'm not so worried about an earthquake that is only 6.4.

But the Hainan humidity now that scares me!

Also being from CA, earthquakes don't rattle me too much either, but that's assuming I'm in homes mostly made out of wood. In China, most modern homes are all built of concrete. Any decent size earthquake that's nothing to worry about in CA will completely decimate the entire housing landscape in China. :o That does indeed scare me.

Roger, so there is a housing complex in Bo'ao? Nice. I had my wife look at SouFun and under QiongHai there wasn't any housing listed in Bo'ao. Doing more searchs on the net resulted in no more info on housing in Bo'ao, only info on all the resorts/hotels in Bo'ao.

My wife loves SanYa. She'd like to live there, but the places I would like in SanYa are very expensive now a days. So I'm looking around elsewhere. Thanks for all the links and info you've shared about QiongHai in this thread. Much appreciated.

Roger, so there is a housing complex in Bo'ao? Nice. I had my wife look at SouFun and under QiongHai there wasn't any housing listed in Bo'ao. Doing more searchs on the net resulted in no more info on housing in Bo'ao, only info on all the resorts/hotels in Bo'ao.

My wife loves SanYa. She'd like to live there, but the places I would like in SanYa are very expensive now a days. So I'm looking around elsewhere. Thanks for all the links and info you've shared about QiongHai in this thread. Much appreciated.

Sanya has gotten incredibly pricey...If you didn't buy a place there several years ago... :( either forget it or win the lottery... :unsure:

I cannot recall how or where I located the development in Boao but it was online so keep looking...The thing about the lay of the land there is that the main beach is NOT directly accessible from either the town of Boao or the Asia-Pacific Forum area... :huh: You have to take a boat across the Wanquan River...The beach is accessible by land from the south but I do not know about the road (or lack thereof) of that approach... B)

Guest knloregon

As I have written here before, as a real estate investment, Sanya worries me. Fei and I were there before her interview in Dec. 05.

Got a nice place, but it was December, and Sanya, if it were a real resort should have been hopping... It wasn't----there were huge high rise condos all around, purchased as investments by the BJ, Shanghai crowd... but not occupied.

My view is that Sanya, and the entire area represents the very weakest part of the Chinese residential real estate bubble.

If the economy goes south---even a little, I predict the first asset a lot of the newly wealthy are going to unload is the condo in Sanya, which is sitting empty anyway.. My view is that it could go from fire sale situation, to an all out crash

Sanya is great. What a place to live. We where there 6 month ago planing on going back this winter we look at home to buy there. If you are there this winter maybe we can hook up TIM

Sure wish we could but it will be another winter spent... :D in Wisconsin for us...

As I have written here before, as a real estate investment, Sanya worries me. Fei and I were there before her interview in Dec. 05.

Got a nice place, but it was December, and Sanya, if it were a real resort should have been hopping... It wasn't----there were huge high rise condos all around, purchased as investments by the BJ, Shanghai crowd... but not occupied.

My view is that Sanya, and the entire area represents the very weakest part of the Chinese residential real estate bubble.

If the economy goes south---even a little, I predict the first asset a lot of the newly wealthy are going to unload is the condo in Sanya, which is sitting empty anyway.. My view is that it could go from fire sale situation, to an all out crash

I pretty much agree and that's part of the reason we bought in Qionghai instead. Why pay 10,000 -20,000 RMB/m2 for Sanya and take the risk of big price drops? And we were not buying as an investment but as a winter home. As far as how popular Sanya is I can't say with any authority. We were only there in April of 2004 and it was very busy at that time.

There is another possibility Sir Lance-a-bunch... :huh: Wenchang... :huh: It's the next large burg a few million coconut palms north of Boao on the coast. When we were in the Haikou airport last fall there was a large ad for a new development ON THE WATER there... :) We never even looked at it because laopo decalred Wenchang too small... :o But it doesn't look a lot smaller than Qionghai although Qionghai has more development because of Boao and the hot springs. Anywho there was nothing on Soufun for Wenchang but you might want to check it out. Wenchang is famous for Wenchang Chicken and as the birthplace for the Soong sisters... :) If you do not know who the Soong sisters were... :o GO TO JAIL, GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL, DO NOT PASS GO. ETC...

I visited the home of Qing Ling in Shanghai. It had some amazing photos of Modern Chinese personalities. Definitely she is my favorite of the three. They were all educated in the U.S.

Soong sisters

A photograph of the three Soong sisters together.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/1/15/Soong_sisters.jpg

The Soong sisters (ËμҽãÃà pinyin: S¨°ngji¨¡ Ji¨§m¨¨i, or ËÎÊÏÈý½ãÃÃ) were three women whose husbands were amongst China's most significant political figures of the early 20th century. It was famously said that "one loved money, one loved power, and one loved China" (Ò»‚€ÛåX¡¢Ò»‚€Û™à¡¢Ò»‚€Û‡ø; Hanyu pinyin: y¨ª ge a¨¬ qi¨¢n, y¨ª ge a¨¬ qu¨¢n, y¨ª ge a¨¬ gu¨®).

The three sisters were:

Soong Ai-ling (Simplified Chinese: ËΰªÁä; Traditional Chinese: ËÎÌ@ýg; pinyin: S¨°ng Àil¨ªng; Wade-Giles: Sung Ai-ling), the eldest and the one who "loved money," was married to the richest man and finance minister of China, H. H. Kung.

Soong Ching-ling (Simplified Chinese: ËÎÇìÁä; Traditional Chinese: ËΑcýg; pinyin: S¨°ng Q¨¬ngl¨ªng; Wade-Giles: Sung Ch'ing-ling) , the one who "loved China," was married to Father of Modern China and first President of the Republic of China, Sun Yat-sen. She became joint President of the People's Republic of China with Dong Biwu from 1968 to 1972 and Honorary President in 1981, just before the passing of the Consitution of 1982.

Soong May-ling (Simplified Chinese: ËÎÃÀÁä; Traditional Chinese: ËÎÃÀýg; pinyin: S¨°ng M¨¦il¨ªng; Wade-Giles: Sung Mei-ling), youngest and the one who "loved power," was married to the leader of the Kuomintang (KMT) , Generalissimo of the Chinese armies, and later President, Chiang Kai-shek.

Their father was American-educated Methodist minister Charlie Soong, who made a fortune in banking.

Their three brothers were all high ranking officials in the Republic of China government, one of whom was the famous T.V. Soong.

A film (The Soong Sisters) depicting the lives of the Soong sisters was made in 1997.

External links

Bank on $10k more to finish it!

500 g. each of shrimp, crab, clam, squid and fish, tofu, vegetables, winter melon and fresh mushrooms at an outdoor hot pot restaurant...70 RMB... :huh: Go all out and add 500 g. of abalone and the bill skyrockets to 98 RMB...Hainan beer...5 RMB or Anchor double ice brewed for 7 RMB to wash it all down...you're a teetotaler okay have a pitcher of papaya juice for 9 RMB or coconut milk for 25 RMB...coconut, mango, banana, guava, oranges, melons, pomelo, star fruit...not gassed and transported for days...fresh off the tree...lobster will set you back 120 RMB for 500 g...in GZ they were getting 280 RMB...jaili duck, hele crab, donguan mutton, fresh coconuts with a straw stuck in...2 RMB...

Two years ago laopo and I vacationed at Sanya on Hainan. We loved it but when it came time to look for a winter place Sanya was eliminated for 2 reasons...1. We did not want to live in a popular tour town. In Sanya in the winter you will not believe that there are that many tour busses on the planet... :lol: Also Sanya has become VERY expensive. We thought Haikou, the capitol, was too big and we then discovered Qionghai, the third largest city on Hainan. When we first started looking at it online there was only 1 development listed on Soufun, now there are 9 in some stages of planning or building. The book says there are 40,000 people there but I would guess maybe 100,000, it is a small city and it is never crowded, the traffic is not insane ever.

The first development we looked at was at a hot springs area about 8 km from the city. The largest apartments were only 77 m2 and although they would have sold us a floor with 2 adjoining apartments I could not envision any way to make 1 cohesive place out of the space. Also there was nothing else around the area and we thought it better to be in the city for services. For a small fee you can go these hot spring places any time for a leisurely soak anyway and even as residents they still would have charged us for every use. We looked at a very nice 120 m2 place with a great view of the large river that flows through Qionghai but we found out that the land that this development was built on was in dispute with the local government and no one had gotten their ownership papers as a result. We liked a place but it was built above stores and laopo was afraid of possible noise from below. We almost bought a 13 floor apartment that was 2 floors of 150 m2, but it was on a busy street with no nice tropical garden around it.

Then we found it...our tropical dream... :ph34r: A large, 19 buildings, development on the Southern edge of the city. Developed by the Beijing railway it had the best financial backing of anything we looked at. Everything was done absolutely first-class, the paths and roads were of a substantial slate laid down perfectly, tropical vegetation was being brought in as mature trees and massed not one here and there. We were able to buy in a building that overlooks a huge tropical garden 70 m across with ponds. Of course almost nothing is there now. There are 9 buildings in various stages of completion and a few people have started moving in. Our apartment should be done in about 1 year. We bought a 142 m2 place, 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, all unfinished of course, 3rd floor with stairs in a 6 story building for around 1700 RMB/m2. That comes out to about $31K. There are not a lot of places yet available and we thought it an incredibly good investment at that price. One other CFL couple just made the plunge and bought a place in our same building this week so if there is anyone out there who would just love to be able to call 'ol Don and ask him how cold and rainy it is in Portalnd today as they sip from their coconut under a palm tree... :D ...PM me for details... B)

Bank on $10k more to finish it!

500 g. each of shrimp, crab, clam, squid and fish, tofu, vegetables, winter melon and fresh mushrooms at an outdoor hot pot restaurant...70 RMB... :huh: Go all out and add 500 g. of abalone and the bill skyrockets to 98 RMB...Hainan beer...5 RMB or Anchor double ice brewed for 7 RMB to wash it all down...you're a teetotaler okay have a pitcher of papaya juice for 9 RMB or coconut milk for 25 RMB...coconut, mango, banana, guava, oranges, melons, pomelo, star fruit...not gassed and transported for days...fresh off the tree...lobster will set you back 120 RMB for 500 g...in GZ they were getting 280 RMB...jaili duck, hele crab, donguan mutton, fresh coconuts with a straw stuck in...2 RMB...

Two years ago laopo and I vacationed at Sanya on Hainan. We loved it but when it came time to look for a winter place Sanya was eliminated for 2 reasons...1. We did not want to live in a popular tour town. In Sanya in the winter you will not believe that there are that many tour busses on the planet... :lol: Also Sanya has become VERY expensive. We thought Haikou, the capitol, was too big and we then discovered Qionghai, the third largest city on Hainan. When we first started looking at it online there was only 1 development listed on Soufun, now there are 9 in some stages of planning or building. The book says there are 40,000 people there but I would guess maybe 100,000, it is a small city and it is never crowded, the traffic is not insane ever.

The first development we looked at was at a hot springs area about 8 km from the city. The largest apartments were only 77 m2 and although they would have sold us a floor with 2 adjoining apartments I could not envision any way to make 1 cohesive place out of the space. Also there was nothing else around the area and we thought it better to be in the city for services. For a small fee you can go these hot spring places any time for a leisurely soak anyway and even as residents they still would have charged us for every use. We looked at a very nice 120 m2 place with a great view of the large river that flows through Qionghai but we found out that the land that this development was built on was in dispute with the local government and no one had gotten their ownership papers as a result. We liked a place but it was built above stores and laopo was afraid of possible noise from below. We almost bought a 13 floor apartment that was 2 floors of 150 m2, but it was on a busy street with no nice tropical garden around it.

Then we found it...our tropical dream... :sosad: A large, 19 buildings, development on the Southern edge of the city. Developed by the Beijing railway it had the best financial backing of anything we looked at. Everything was done absolutely first-class, the paths and roads were of a substantial slate laid down perfectly, tropical vegetation was being brought in as mature trees and massed not one here and there. We were able to buy in a building that overlooks a huge tropical garden 70 m across with ponds. Of course almost nothing is there now. There are 9 buildings in various stages of completion and a few people have started moving in. Our apartment should be done in about 1 year. We bought a 142 m2 place, 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, all unfinished of course, 3rd floor with stairs in a 6 story building for around 1700 RMB/m2. That comes out to about $31K. There are not a lot of places yet available and we thought it an incredibly good investment at that price. One other CFL couple just made the plunge and bought a place in our same building this week so if there is anyone out there who would just love to be able to call 'ol Don and ask him how cold and rainy it is in Portalnd today as they sip from their coconut under a palm tree... :D ...PM me for details... B)

Oh more than double that I'm sure... :o We'll be knocking down a bunch of walls to open up the kitchen and make a larger master bedroom out of 2 present bedrooms...bamboo and natural stone flooring...etc,etc... :D