questions concerning health dept requesting treatment for tb.

When my wife completed the physical for visa she tested positive for tb, she had the x-ray and is was negative. She was told by several health professionals in China that she did not need any treatment and it was just a false positive (possibly since she was vaccinated as a child), She was instructed to bring the x-ray to the p.o.e. and they would review it. When she arrived they instructed her to go to the county health dept and they preformed another tb test and -x-ray, the results were the same (positive test and neg x-ray). Now the health dept sent a letter recommending treatment or sign a letter of refusal of treatment. Does anyone have any experience w/this and will this have any effect on her visa if she refuses treatment at this time.

As always, thanks for any insight.

Guest ShaQuaNew

When my wife completed the physical for visa she tested positive for tb, she had the x-ray and is was negative. She was told by several health professionals in China that she did not need any treatment and it was just a false positive (possibly since she was vaccinated as a child), She was instructed to bring the x-ray to the p.o.e. and they would review it. When she arrived they instructed her to go to the county health dept and they preformed another tb test and -x-ray, the results were the same (positive test and neg x-ray). Now the health dept sent a letter recommending treatment or sign a letter of refusal of treatment. Does anyone have any experience w/this and will this have any effect on her visa if she refuses treatment at this time.

As always, thanks for any insight.

I can assure you that you have nothing to worry about. Thousands of individuals test positive for TB. A positive test for TB does not mean that you have the disease, but only that you have been exposed to it. Your wife testing positive for TB neither means that she is a carrier, nor that she has the disease.

My ex-wife (native American--edit, not American Indian, but born in the US...:-)) tested positive for TB all her life, after being exposed to her mother who has somehow contracted the disease, and was successfully treated. Her x-rays also showed no signs of TB, nor did any other test.

I'm guessing that she tested positive on the skin test only. That being the case, you should have nothing to worry about. Now, that is not to say that you won't become the victim of some sappy do-gooder that doesn't understand this concept; so, you may want to consult with a good civil surgeon who could provide you with a signed affadavit stating that she's safe.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew

Just found this also...

http://www.uscis.gov/propub/ProPubVAP.jsp?...81c38ba184cc8c7

(2) Tuberculin skin test examination. (i) All aliens 2 years of age or older in the United States who apply for adjustment of status to permanent residents, under the immigration laws and regulations, or other aliens in the United States who are required by the INS to have a medical examination in connection with a determination of their admissibility, shall be required to have a tuberculin skin test. Exceptions to this requirement may be authorized for good cause upon application approved by the Director. In the event of a positive tuberculin reaction, a chest X-ray examination shall be required. If the chest radiograph is consistent with tuberculosis, the alien shall be referred to the local health authority for evaluation. Evidence of this evaluation shall be provided to the civil surgeon before a medical notification may be issued.

As you stated, your wife's tests were NOT consistent with TB. Therefore, she's okay

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

You can insist on the QuantiFERON®-TB Gold (QFT) blood test, this supposedly eliminates false positives that can be caused by the BCG Vaccine which was used in China.

Both of these documents are from the CDC who's authority trumps the local health department. If they argue about the documentation and insist on treatment you might briefly mention malpractice for treating her for TB without eliminating all the possibilities of a false positive.

BCG Vaccine

TB Fact Sheet

My wife had the usual physical for her visa and I don't think she was tested for TB. Recently she wanted to join a group of volunteers at the local hospital and had to have a TB test. Her results were positive. I did research and found there are 2 types of TB. One being inactive and one being active. In both cases they recommend antibiotics. The reason being the inactive TB can turn in to active TB and thus become contagious. The active TB is contagious and the inactive TB is not contagious. Go to http://www.mayoclinic.com and do a search for TB. We go for a follow up test next week and are hoping this was a false positive.