The difference between DOS and GUZ visa info center

Hey, guys, I am raising a stupid question again: I know that DOS represents Department Of States. And there is a type of phone cards sold at CITIC BANKS to those visa applicants for them to call and find out about the visa process in GUZ.

And I also know from CFL that when NVC has forwarded the case to GUZ, then it is time to call DOS to find out about the visa status.

So my stupid question is, do you think calling the DOS is the same as calling with those CITIC BANK PHONE CARDS?

Please understand my concern and give me some thoughts if you can.

GOD BLESS!

FREEASABIRD

Edited by FREEASABIRD (see edit history)

Others may say differently but I never once found any use in calling DOS the entire time going thru the visa process. Maybe some have had good experiences with them but I'm sure they are by far the minority. It's basically useless and it only compounds your frustrations. "Wait" is the key. It's the only key!

Excuse me for being so pessamistic but it's the truth. However, I hope you find what you seek.

-good luck

Hey, guys, I am raising a stupid question again: I know that DOS represents Department Of States. And there is a type of phone cards sold at CITIC BANKS to those visa applicants for them to call and find out about the visa process in GUZ.

And I also know from CFL that when NVC has forwarded the case to GUZ, then it is time to call DOS to find out about the visa status.

So my stupid question is, do you think calling the DOS is the same as calling with those CITIC BANK PHONE CARDS?

Please understand my concern and give me some thoughts if you can.

GOD BLESS!

FREEASABIRD

Yes in my opinion calling DOS is better then calling GUZ.

Call DOS every chance you can. Everyday if need. It's their job. They will soon get to know you by name. :rolleyes:

Yes, I agree with the saying that "wait" is the only key now.

But I would still give it a try. So I am in CHINA now, should I just dial (DOS) 1-202-663-1225 from Mainland China or should I have my wife call this number from the states?

Does anyone know the answer to my question?

Regards,

FREEASABIRD

Telephone calls to government agencies are most effectively placed by the person most capable of effectively communicating with the agency. Asking the right questions and follow-up questions often makes the difference between confusion and information.

But I would still give it a try. So I am in CHINA now, should I just dial (DOS) 1-202-663-1225 from Mainland China or should I have my wife call this number from the states?

Regards,

FREEASABIRD

If you are calling from China you will need to dial the US country code of 001 then 202 663-1225. If your spouse is in the US they can call the number as you have shown above. I called DOS once to check status of my K3 package after it had been about 45 - 50 days since being mailed from NVC to GUZ - it was a waste of time - reply after waiting some 20 minutes on hold was "sorry GUZ has not received the K3 yet" they would not give me any other information. If you do call beware that they will put you on hold and there will be nothing, but stay on the line a recording will eventually come on. I called again on 10/19/06 just before leaving for China (still here in Zhanjiang) and got put on hold and 15 minutes later they closed and hung up on me. My wife received her P3 on 10/30/06 while we were in Beijing so it was 60 days from being mailed from NVC until receiving P3 in Zhanjiang China. GOOD LUCK

I am pretty sure if you use a Chinese telephone the push tones are different and will not work with DOS. Either use a US cell phone or use a phone within the US.

Regards,

FREEASABIRD

If you are calling from China you will need to dial the US country code of 001 then 202 663-1225. If your spouse is in the US they can call the number as you have shown above. I called DOS once to check status of my K3 package after it had been about 45 - 50 days since being mailed from NVC to GUZ - it was a waste of time - reply after waiting some 20 minutes on hold was "sorry GUZ has not received the K3 yet" they would not give me any other information. If you do call beware that they will put you on hold and there will be nothing, but stay on the line a recording will eventually come on. I called again on 10/19/06 just before leaving for China (still here in Zhanjiang) and got put on hold and 15 minutes later they closed and hung up on me. My wife received her P3 on 10/30/06 while we were in Beijing so it was 60 days from being mailed from NVC until receiving P3 in Zhanjiang China. GOOD LUCK

I called DOS 3-4 times per week for 10 months straight. Never was I put on hold for more then one minute. And if you call right at 8:30est you only have to wait a few minutes before someone picked up. The past couple weeks I have called at different times of the day and have not had to wait for more then 3 minutes. Most of the ladies at DOS are nice and will do what they can to check on your case.

Edited by IluvmyLi (see edit history)

Go ahead and call DOS 3 - 4 times a week for 10 months straight - a perfect way to make oneself crazy and won't change a thing. You will wait until it gets to GUZ, then you will wait until it clears customs and then it will sit in clearing house until GUZ is good and ready to pick it up and log it into the computer.... but hey if you want to spend money making phone calls every day :rolleyes:

I am pretty sure if you use a Chinese telephone the push tones are different and will not work with DOS. Either use a US cell phone or use a phone within the US.

No, this is not correct rlheim. I lived in Shanghia and brought my Panasonic 5.4GHz cordless phone from the US with me. The tones are exactly the same. It will work. But it'll cost him quite a bit to wait on hold calling from China. I would suggest the USC call DoS in the US.

Go ahead and call DOS 3 - 4 times a week for 10 months straight - a perfect way to make oneself crazy and won't change a thing. You will wait until it gets to GUZ, then you will wait until it clears customs and then it will sit in clearing house until GUZ is good and ready to pick it up and log it into the computer.... but hey if you want to spend money making phone calls every day :rolleyes:

Excuse me but I have gone through enough crap in this process to know if calling DOS is a good thing or not.

DOS was able to send enough inquiries into our background check in order to free it up and start the process over. Then is was completed within 57 days after waiting nearly 10 months. Don't tell me DOS is a waste of time.

But I guess you suggest just sitting back and doing nothing!

Of course all my comments are meant towards any delays in the name/background checks. Waiting for custom clearing is a different matter and YES I do agree that doing nothing is the only thing you can do. But once it's at GUZ, calling DOS from the US is the best thing to do.

Edited by IluvmyLi (see edit history)