Police Certificates

One police cert for all of mainland china is enough.

David, are you saying the HK police has access to the mainland database? When HK issues a police cert, they are essentially reporting on crimes that may have taken place in mainland China as well? I was not aware of this.

I believe what he meant was one from HK and one from Mainland China (Hunan or Shenzhen.)

I am new here. Just learned yesterday that GZ got the address wrong and the first instruction packet - is it called P1? - was returned. I have asked my fiancee to fax but apparently GZ fax machine is turned off during the weekend. So she will do it tomorrow. I have heard that my fiancee needs to get police report in addition to birth certificates. Can someone tell me what a police report is supposed to say and where to get it. Should it be translated into English and notarized?

What are the P1, P2, P3 and P4? Thanks

Nick

I am new here. Just learned yesterday that GZ got the address wrong and the first instruction packet - is it called P1? - was returned. I have asked my fiancee to fax but apparently GZ fax machine is turned off during the weekend. So she will do it tomorrow. I have heard that my fiancee needs to get police report in addition to birth certificates. Can someone tell me what a police report is supposed to say and where to get it. Should it be translated into English and notarized?

What are the P1, P2, P3 and P4? Thanks

Nick

You mean P3, P4 is the invitation to interview packet, P1, and P2 you dont see I beleive they are between USCIS and NVC, and NVC and Consulate.

About Police report:

POLICE RECORD

Generally available, reliable. Persons should apply for a certificate of no criminal record at the local Public Security Bureau (PSB) (or certain types of employers such as state owned enterprises), then make application to the notary office for a certificate based on the PSB document. Persons without a criminal record will be able to obtain a certificate to that effect. Certificates for individuals with one or more criminal convictions will list all convictions for which records still exist. The certificates purport to reflect all criminal convictions during residence in China. Police records are generally not available for the period prior to 1949. Notarial police certificates are based in part upon records from an individual's employer. If an employer refuses to release records, the notarial office is not able to issue a certificate. This is the case for persons sent abroad for education by the Chinese Government who fail to return to China.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/reciprocity/C...der/C/China.htm

Your fiance needs Notarial birth certificate and unmarried certificate both should be unavailable at the local Notarial Offices (Gong Zheng Chu) Also should be able to get the certificates translated there.

the P1, P2, P3, P4 "Packets" are old school terms and phased out by the government.. but their use continues by most people.

Depending on where you file and what your visa type is, they can differ a little bit (ie: who sent it).

In principle, you get all four of them... even five...

P1 - receipt notice (also called NOA1 for the I-797 notice of action form from USCIS)

P2 - approval notice (also called NOA2.... from USCIS)

P2.5 - notice from NVC that the case is being sent to consulate

P3 - Instruction packet from consulate (or NVC If your CR1)

P4 - Appointment packet from consulate

Thanks guys for the replies. One more thing - my fiancee has a 14-y-o daughter. Does she also need police certificate. She is still in school. I put her on the application form too. Also, since GUZ sent to the wrong address and the P3 was returned, can someone tell me what forms are there in a P3 so that we can practise filling them pending GUZ resends the packet. I saw a reference to certificate of unmarried status. We have got a notarized divorce certificate. Will that be sufficient to VO in GUZ? Thanks.

Nick

Edited by Nick (see edit history)

Thanks for all the valuable info and tips. Our P3 was sent to the wrong address and my fiancee faxed the correct address Monday. Since I can locate all the documents to be sent back to GUZ , is it acceptable just to fill out the two forms and sent them back to GUZ immediately - without having to wait for the arrival of the resent P3 from GUZ. Just want to save some time. Anyone had similar experience? Thanks.

Nick

Thanks for all the valuable info and tips. Our P3 was sent to the wrong address and my fiancee faxed the correct address Monday. Since I can locate all the documents to be sent back to GUZ , is it acceptable just to fill out the two forms and sent them back to GUZ immediately - without having to wait for the arrival of the resent P3 from GUZ. Just want to save some time. Anyone had similar experience? Thanks.

Nick

Yes - they will tell you to do exactly that if the P3 is slow in coming.