Interview to adjust to permanent resident

My wife's interview to adjust status is in a couple weeks (Form I-485). Among the items listed to take with us are those already presented in GUZ, e.g., affidavit of support, w2's, federal tax returns, etc. Does anyone know which of these documents are absolutely necessary? Also, how should we prepare for this interview. My wife tells me that just because the interview is being held in the US does not mean I should take a casual attitude about it.

Thanks

AOS has more documents required. The affidavit of support is different that the one at the visa interview. Uses the legally binding I-864 form.

6.11.2)...How will we know when the interview is scheduled? What *evidence* do we need to take?

A list of things to be brought includeds.

1. Beneficiaries passport and I-94
  2. current personal ID for both parties
  3. copies of the birth certificates of any children born to us. ( I hope they mean as a result of this union )
  4. copies of federal,and state income tax returns for each year, or portion thereof, during which petitioner and beneficiary have been married.
  5. copies of lease or mortgage contracts showing joint occupancy.
  6. evidence of any joint bank accounts, charge accounts etc.
  7. copies of any life insurance and/or health insurance policies of petitioner and beneficiary
  8. copies of wills and/or power of attorneys
  9. Statements from petitioners and/or beneficiaries employer(s) preferable on company stationary, Indicating the marital status claimed, dependants claimed and whom to notify in case of emergency.
  10. sworn statements from at least two persons, attesting to the length of time petitioner and beneficiary have been residing together in Marital Union.
  11. Any other evidence which would tend to establish the existence of a bona fide marital relationship.

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-aos.html

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k3k4visa-aos.html

You need a lot of documentation for this interview, they are looking for evidence of a bona fide marriage, things that prove that you are living together. Like Joint bank accounts, insurance, name on house lease, the list is very long.

A few guides:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos

You are taking a casual attitude, not preparing is just asking for a denial.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

There letter is very specific about what to bring, basically everything you have provided to them in the past.

Probably the most important thing to take is proof of building a life together:

Copies of Insurance cards

Copy of bank statement - joint account

Copy of any joint accounts - bills

Auto registration

Car Insurance

We took our his and hers gym membership cards too.

(Basically copies of anything that shows both of your names on it.) Make sure you have photocopies of these things if you are not willing to surrender the originals.

All of her Notary documents, have photocopies too.

Now I know you said they have everything you sent them, but if they lost anything or can't find it you have the responsibility to provide them a copy of it. I think this is mainly because they have decided you are trustworthy and they are not, so you must have records that they can't find. You may laugh, but people have been given an RFE because they lost something important.

A fresh employment letter is not a bad idea and if you didn't submit 2005 taxes with the AOS stuff expect to be asked for it.

Pictures of your wedding and any outing you have had since she arrived are very important.

Also, if your wife is not fluent in English take a translator. If asked why you brought a translator remind them you were following their instructions and since you have paid the money you expect them to use them!!! They had ours sit in the outer office, but some have been told to bring one back with them for the next appointment. :(

As for sworn statements, that's usually stretching things a bit for such a short period of time, but required for the removal of conditions in a couple of years.

You say it's a pain in the ass, I agree, but having to go back again because you didn't bring what they said is worse especially if your wife has suggested that you take it seriously because you will hear from her about it.

You should discuss the questions on the I-485 part II, mainly the ones concerning being a criminal, drug user and communist party member. She needs to know the basic question as most will paraphrase it.

As for questions they might ask, it's wide open, but when we went it seems like they were looking to see how well we interacted together as most husbands and wives do. My wife had her pocket translator and when the IO ask something and I could not clarify it for her she whipped it out and handed it to me, just like we had been doing for months.

The odds are you will carry most of the paper home with you untouched and it will last all of 20 minutes to be approved.

After the interview make sure you bundle everything up and store it away because you will need it all again for the removal of conditions if they insist on an interview.

Lee pretty much nailed it. I would add that at our interview they handed my wife a piece of paper and asked her to write down her address and phone number. It was a trick to see if she really new it. At our interview it was mostly about her. They asked me very few questions and would not let me help my wife with hers. We also took a translater and I'm glad we did. My wife would not of understood all the legalese the IO rattled off at the end of the interview if we hadn't.

I recall several stories here about denials regarding:

1. No translator.

2. Wife did not know home address.

3. Wife did not know home phone# or cell phone#.

4. Husband/wife could not recall wedding date.

5. No utility bills, or any document, with both names on it.

4. No ___________ documents. Fill in the blank.

Agree what Carl and Lee said. Take everything, including a translator.

also see the CFL AOS FAQ.. particularly the questions:

Q. What will occur at the AOS interview?

Q. Any issues that arose during the AOS interview?

Sometimes seeing interview experiences and working backwards tells you to bring everything.. let them ask for nothing if they want.

Looking back at our GC interview, I'm still surprised we didn't get denied with all the issues that arose... but I think two things kept it from denial:

- I knew everything about our case and the process and acted quickly on the spot when issues arose.

- He like my wife and my open display and chatting in front of him.. as SmilingAsia often says, one can see, feel, and smell a true relationship.. try to be relaxed in front of the AO and be comfortable as a couple...

My reflective write-up on AOS Interview

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=16457&hl=

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)