HOME!!!!!!!

OK my wife is in the USA!!!!!! We arrived last Monday. What a joy it is to be together instead of talking on Yahoo messenger. Last night while eating a wonderful homemade Chinese dinner she told me we do not need to have Lawyer for her to get the greencard and for me to ask on Candleforlove where to begin. She is a little confussed on CR1 and AOS. I tried to explain but didn't get far. SOOOOOOOOOO, I am asking.

I already have her ITIN number but think from reading past posts the place to start is the SS# and EAD. Any help at all will be appreciated.

EAD is needed before applying for SSN. Somewhere along the road, you want to start thinking about filing AOS.

Correct K-3 visa holder needs to get EAD or Green Card first in order to get SS number.

The Visa journey guides that TONADO pointed out are an excellent resource!

Another link to VJ's FAQ: http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k3k4visa-aos.html

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

EAD is needed before applying for SSN. Somewhere along the road, you want to start thinking about filing AOS.

We received my wife's SSN and are still waiting on the EAD and AOS interview. I would suggest apply for SSN then send in the paperwork for EAD and AOS. This may not apply in different areas of the US for some reason. I have read of some people that were not granted their SSN immediately. Since this is a federal service it makes no sense why one SS agency would grant a SSN and another won't.

Here are the basic steps I outlined in the FAQ for K3 once in the US:

K3:

K-3 is NOT authorized to work until they get an EAD or green card. So, SSA won't issue a card without one of those documents.

1) File for AOS and EAD after she comes to the U.S. ; File AP as desired

2) Once you get the EAD, file for SSN

3) Have SO added to bank accounts, get state ID, add to insurance, etc.

4) Wait for AOS approval

5) When eligible, apply to ¡°remove conditional status¡±