Should I write my name as SuJuan or Su Juan

Hi All,

My Chinese name is Wei Su Juan. Wei is my family name and Su Juan is my given name. When we fill in forms, we always fill in SuJuan as my first name, without a space. I just noticed that on my visa issued by Guangzhou, they wrote my first name as Su Juan.

I filed for SSN on Mar. 10th, but haven't got the card yet. This morning when I called SSA, the woman who answered the phone asked me if my first name is two words or one word. I told her it was one word without space.

She also told me that after we filed, they would get on line to look for our information input by INS. If after 2 weeks, there's still no information available, they will submit the file to INS to ask them to find our information.

As it took longer for me to get my card, I begin to worry that if it's because of my name. If INS input my name as Su Juan and SSA as SuJuan, will it be a big problem?

Would anyone please tell me how you write your first name, as one word without space or as two words?

Thanks!

Q&Q

Hi All,

My Chinese name is Wei Su Juan. Wei is my family name and Su Juan is my given name. When we fill in forms, we always fill in SuJuan as my first name, without a space. I just noticed that on my visa issued by Guangzhou, they wrote my first name as Su Juan.

I filed for SSN on Mar. 10th, but haven't got the card yet. This morning when I called SSA, the woman who answered the phone asked me if my first name is two words or one word. I told her it was one word without space.

She also told me that after we filed, they would get on line to look for our information input by INS. If after 2 weeks, there's still no information available, they will submit the file to INS to ask them to find our information.

As it took longer for me to get my card, I begin to worry that if it's because of my name. If INS input my name as Su Juan and SSA as SuJuan, will it be a big problem?

Would anyone please tell me how you write your first name, as one word without space or as two words?

Thanks!

Q&Q

Don't worry at all .

My wife Yuhui was spelled Yu Hui on her visa... We filed for SSN under Yuhui ( and AOS too ). She got her SS card in 2 weeks.

You can call SS after a week you file to get your assigned number

www.ssa.gov

They also told us it would take 6 weeks to check with INS, but she got her SSN over the phone 9 days later and her actual card in 2 weeks after filing !

Q&Q

Don't worry at all .

My wife Yuhui was spelled Yu Hui on her visa... We filed for SSN under Yuhui ( and AOS too ). She got her SS card in 2 weeks.

You can call SS after a week you file to get your assigned number

www.ssa.gov

They also told us it would take 6 weeks to check with INS, but she got her SSN over the phone 9 days later and her actual card in 2 weeks after filing !

Please say hi to lucky yuhui.

Thank you for posting, so i'm not worried now. when I called 800 this morning, I was told that my number wasn't assigned yet.

I have to wait ;)

Q&Q

http://www.wam.umd.edu/~sek/wedding/names.html

Name Changing Options

Contributed by M. Elizabeth Hunter, hunter@asylum.sf.ca.us, with input from Sonja Kueppers, sek@wam.umd.edu

This thread has come up several times on alt.wedding, so I thought I would just summarize the options I've seen debated there. I've tried to put in some of the major pros and cons for each one. The thing to remember is that everyone has their own priorities and sense of what is right for them.

In no particular order:

Wife Takes Husband's Last Name (Jane Smith becomes Jane Brown when she marries Michael Brown) This is pretty much the tradition here in the US, everyone's used to it. Some people see it as a sexist tradition smacking of patriarchal property. Some see this as the easiest way to go. Some people really like the symbolism of the whole family having the same name. Some women don't like the idea of losing their own identity. If you chose this, you also have to decide if the wife is going to be Jane Brown or Mrs. Michael Brown. (Mrs. Jane Brown implies that she is divorced, although many people do not follow this rule anymore.) Many people will tell you that this is the One True Option for religious reasons...you have to decide if their reasons are yours. The wife has to be sure to change her name on all her documents (drivers license, credit cards, passport, etc.)

Wife Hyphenates The Two Names (Jane Smith becomes Jane Smith-Brown). This maintains the woman's name, while adding the husband's. The wife will have to be very careful to *always* use the hyphenated name. Many women find that otherwise, their name slowly slips away. Some people find this overly complicated, others find that the combination is not euphonious. If there are children there is the option of either hyphenating or using solely the husband's name for them.

Wife Uses Birth Name as Middle Name (Jane Smith becomes Jane Smith Brown, with no hyphenation) This avoids what some see as the awkwardness of hyphenation, while keeping the woman's birth name. Again, the woman has to be very careful to always say "Jane Smith Brown" when anyone asks her name. Many women find that their birth name slowly disappears anyway.

Husband and Wife Keep Their Own Birth Names (Jane Smith stays Jane Smith) This can lead people to believe you are not married. The issue of what the children are named remains open. The wife keeps her own identity. People will call Jane Mrs. Brown unless corrected, and some will not take correction well, nor remember from time to time. It is important to bear in mind that there are many possible attitudes you can take when people refer to Jane Smith as "Mrs. Brown". Some people think of "Mrs. Brown" or "Mrs. Michael Brown" as a title, meaning "wife of Mr. Michael Brown", and are not offended. Others think of it as a title, but are offended by the notion of being identified as someone's wife, rather than as their own person. Still others think of it as a name, and are therefore annoyed at being called by the wrong name. This approach has several advantages, among them the fact that no one has to change their name on all their documents and identification, and that if one spouse should die or the couple gets divorced, there is no concern about whether or not to retain the married name. This factor is particularly important for people who have established a professional reputation while married, which makes it more difficult to change their name when they are no longer married.

Wife takes Husband's Name Socially, Keeps Own Name Professionally (Jane Smith is Jane Smith at work, but Jane Brown otherwise) This is a very traditional option for a woman who has a professional reputation, but wishes to share her husband's name outside of the professional world. Usually, a woman who uses this option will change her name legally, use it when enrolling the children in school, etc. but will continue to publish papers, perform, etc. under her original name. For simplicity, it might be a good idea to retain her original name in her legal name, either as a middle name or hyphenated, in case work-related situations arose in which she needed her legal identification to match her work name.

Husband takes Wife's Name (Michael Brown becomes Michael Smith) This is fairly rare, but not unheard of. Reasons range from the husband simply not liking his name, to the wife feeling more strongly about her name, to wanting to make a socio-political statement. In some states the man has to legally change his name and pay the fee to do that, separately from the marriage procedures. His family may react badly --women's families are often braced for their daughter taking on a new name, whereas men's families rarely expect it. There may be some confusion at first, but genrally people will get used to it. This does maintain the single-name family.

Husband and Wife Both Hyphenate (Jane and Michael become The Smith-Browns) Again, check your state laws about the man changing his name. Both partners must be careful to always use the hyphenation. Maintains the single-name family, while using both names. Some people are concerned that the children will then have to decide what to do about their names when they get married. On the other hand, if they are old enough to get married, they are probably old enough to make their own decisions about their names. When the time comes, it might be helpful to emphasize to the children that no matter what they choose, you will not be offended if they end up deciding not to carry your birth name into their married name.

Husband and Wife take Each Other's Names as Middle Names (Jane becomes Jane Brown Smith, Michael becomes Michael Smith Brown) - last names are still different, but there is the symbolism of having taken each other as part of themselves. Most people will probably never realize this, unless the couple makes a point of always using their full names.

Husband and Wife Pick a New Name - This can be a combination of their two birth names (Jane and Michael become the Briths or the Smowns), a jumbling of the letters of both names to make a new name (I can't think of a good one from my example, but I have seen this done), or an entirely new name that either has significance to the couple, or that they just like with their first names. This avoids the whole issue of whose name to take and who is going to change their birth name, maintains the single-name family, and puts both partners through the name-changing hassle. However, families may be offended.

Whatever the couple choses, let me suggest At Home Cards. These are small cards that can be enclosed in the invitation or in the wedding program (I've seen both), which say "Bride's Married Name and Groom's Married Name will be at home at Address after Date." These are useful in a number of different ways, as they advise the wedding guests what the couples' new names will be, where they are living after the wedding, and when they will be back from the honeymoon. They fell out of use for a long time, but I have noticed them making a comeback and approve wholeheartedly.