I-485 question re:Birth Cert

Heya All,

Putting together the AoS paperwork, have a quick question.

Do we need to get an "original" of her birth certificate (and translation), or is a xerox-copy of those ok?

The government already has 2 "original" copies of her certificate, one filed with the I-129F, and another one that they kept at POE. She's going to be really upset if we need another one, as they kept her last copy at POE, and it could be painful (and slow) to get another one over here.

We're also going to file the EAD and I-131 as well - do we need even more copies of it for each of those?

Thanks,

Mike

A copy should be fine. Provide them with a copy of front and back side of even if the back side is blank, if blank just write on the blank sheet "Birth Certificate Reverse Side"

I sent a copy in with the I-129F petition attached to my SO's G-325A had no problems with the copy.

A good guide for AOS can be found over on the Visa Journey Site http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos

Don't expect them to use stuff prior to visa to after visa filings. The I-485 petition stands on its own.

Take a look at the CFL FAQs.. has sample AOS package and cover letter...

You'll see on the sample cover letter it ends with :

"Copies of documents submitted are exact photocopies of unaltered documents and I understand that I may be required to submit original documents to an Immigration or Consular officer at a later date."

While not required to say this, it simply acknowledges back to them you know the process and what they can ask for at the interview... Like your telling them, if you want it, I'll have it..

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)