Question regarding I-129F and my birth certificate

I am getting ready to mail my initial K-1 Visa application and I have a question regarding the proof of my U.S. Citizenship.

The I-129F lists the types of documents that I can use as proof of my U.S. Citizenship. The directions state, "If you were born in the United States, give USCIS a copy, front and back, of your birth certificate." However, I live in South Dakota and there is nothing on the back of our birth certificates. I will obtain a copy of the original but will I have a problem if there is no photocopy of the back of this document? I know that I can send copies of my passport but I would like to also send a copy of my birth certificate.

One more question. On question 10 of the I-129F (if I check "birth in the US") they want the original certiticate #, date that it was issued and place it was issued, correct? Not the date and place I requested the copy from the state right? I know this is a silly question but I just want to make sure everything is as it should be.

Thanks.

Just photo copy the back side and note on the sheet "Birth Certificate Reverse side", and submit both sheets of paper.

Question 10 The certificate number that they are talking about there is the Certificate of Naturalization number, leave that box blank.

Note a great resource for these forms along with tips on how to assemble the package can be found here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1guide

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;page=examples

http://www.visajourney.com/examples/INS-Form-I-129F.pdf (Example I-129F form)

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Just photo copy the back side and note on the sheet "Birth Certificate Reverse side", and submit both sheets of paper.

Question 10 The certificate number that they are talking about there is the Certificate of Naturalization number, leave that box blank.

Note a great resource for these forms along with tips on how to assemble the package can be found here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1guide

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;page=examples

http://www.visajourney.com/examples/INS-Form-I-129F.pdf (Example I-129F form)

Thank you. I've read "question 10" a thousand times and I never made the connection that the first box was for Naturalization info. But after your clarification, I don't know how I missed that. Thanks for all of the information and the links. I come here everyday and to visajourney quite often.

Photo copy the back regardless of it is blank and just explain that it's blank.

One good place is to do this is very briefly in a cover letter. Try to write short sentences that can explain anything that might cause a adjudicator to think something's off. For example, ....#1.A Completed I 129F.....#3)A copy of petitioner's birth certificate. (Please note: South Dakota's birth certificates do not contain writting on the back).

This may also be a good place to explain why there's no certificate number. A comprehensive cover letter that explains everything greatly minimizes the chances of gettign a request for more evidence.

Just to let you know..... make sure you include the following

1. Photocopies ofVisa stamps of you entering China. (if possible, but not necessary include boarding passes, if you don't have these find something close and explain why you don't have them in the cover letter).

2. Make sure the photos are of the exact size they ask for.

3. If you don't get a notice of receipt within two weeks be sure to call uscis.

Believe it or not there shouldn't be too much of a problem at this stage so long as you follow instructions.

Photo copy the back regardless of it is blank and just explain that it's blank.

One good place is to do this is very briefly in a cover letter. Try to write short sentences that can explain anything that might cause a adjudicator to think something's off. For example, ....#1.A Completed I 129F.....#3)A copy of petitioner's birth certificate. (Please note: South Dakota's birth certificates do not contain writting on the back).

This may also be a good place to explain why there's no certificate number. A comprehensive cover letter that explains everything greatly minimizes the chances of gettign a request for more evidence.

Just to let you know..... make sure you include the following

1. Photocopies ofVisa stamps of you entering China. (if possible, but not necessary include boarding passes, if you don't have these find something close and explain why you don't have them in the cover letter).

2. Make sure the photos are of the exact size they ask for.

3. If you don't get a notice of receipt within two weeks be sure to call uscis.

Believe it or not there shouldn't be too much of a problem at this stage so long as you follow instructions.

Great advice. And yes I do have the boarding passes for my trips to China and I already planned to include copies of them and my passport stamps. Thanks.

A lot of the directions are generic. For example, one of the forms requires a Birth Cert for Chinese Citizens (our SO's). In many places in China, they don't have Birth Certs, so one is not needed. Also, they require police records. Many countries don't provide them, so in those cases, they aren't needed... It would nice if the directions included something like, "not needed it not available".

So, just make a note that in your state, the birth cert is only one sided. That should suffice.

A lot of the directions are generic. For example, one of the forms requires a Birth Cert for Chinese Citizens (our SO's). In many places in China, they don't have Birth Certs, so one is not needed. Also, they require police records. Many countries don't provide them, so in those cases, they aren't needed... It would nice if the directions included something like, "not needed it not available".

So, just make a note that in your state, the birth cert is only one sided. That should suffice.

Your statement in bold above is completely new to me. This needs clarification from the other old timers.

A birth certificate is not required, but a birth record is. There are alternatives spelled out on the GUZ website. Also, some countries do not provide police records; there is a list on the DOS site. If you spent time in one of those countries, a police cert is not available and can be disregarded. Same with the US; a police cert is not required for time in the US.

Alright. So something along the lines of a BC must still be gathered. A notarized birth record. I just couldn't believe that GUZ would require nothing for a BC. Thanks.

A birth certificate is not required, but a birth record is. There are alternatives spelled out on the GUZ website. Also, some countries do not provide police records; there is a list on the DOS site. If you spent time in one of those countries, a police cert is not available and can be disregarded. Same with the US; a police cert is not required for time in the US.

That's right.. common sense must prevail here.. for those born at home, there is no official birth certiicate. A notarial statement of birth will do...

When I started the process I was not yet a member of the forum, so I did not have the benefit of everybodies experience. But if I remember right, I just sent in a copy of the front of both mine and Ying's (with a translation) birth certificates. Everything was approved with no trouble. But it is probably best to be safe than sorry.