Hello everyone,

I have a question about a definite red flag concerning my SO's divorce. She was married for only one year until the divorce was final with her Chinese ex in Dec. 2004. We were married Feb. of this year, and I realize that there may be a red flag involving the short period of time between her divorce and our marriage. It was not a good marriage to begin with, and he was reluctant to agree to the divorce. She just wanted out of the relationship and wanted nothing from him. They did not have children. Anyway, she has not spoken to him since then, and presently does not know of his whereabouts. From what I have read through CFL threads, the VO may issue a blue slip to provide evidence that he is still in China. How can she provide this info. if she has not an inkling of where he is? We had a notarized document made of the divorce decree, but that is all. She doesn't have a contact number, either. I am afraid if she did manage to somehow contact him, he would be reluctant to help since it was a bitter divorce. There is always the third party issue, also. I realize that the interview is months away, but I cannot help worrying myself silly on this issue. Any advice would be appreciated. YOU GUYS ARE GREAT AND I AM FORTUNATE TO STUMBLE ACROSS THIS INDEPENSIBLE SITE.

PS. How do I list my timeline with my postings?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I don't think it will be a problem. As long as you provide a copy and translation of her divorce decree, that should be adaquate proof she is free to marry.

Hello everyone,

I have a question about a definite red flag concerning my SO's divorce. She was married for only one year until the divorce was final with her Chinese ex in Dec. 2004. We were married Feb. of this year, and I realize that there may be a red flag involving the short period of time between her divorce and our marriage. It was not a good marriage to begin with, and he was reluctant to agree to the divorce. She just wanted out of the relationship and wanted nothing from him. They did not have children. Anyway, she has not spoken to him since then, and presently does not know of his whereabouts. From what I have read through CFL threads, the VO may issue a blue slip to provide evidence that he is still in China. How can she provide this info. if she has not an inkling of where he is? We had a notarized document made of the divorce decree, but that is all. She doesn't have a contact number, either. I am afraid if she did manage to somehow contact him, he would be reluctant to help since it was a bitter divorce. There is always the third party issue, also. I realize that the interview is months away, but I cannot help worrying myself silly on this issue. Any advice would be appreciated. YOU GUYS ARE GREAT AND I AM FORTUNATE TO STUMBLE ACROSS THIS INDEPENSIBLE SITE.

PS. How do I list my timeline with my postings?

We only used a notorized translation of the divorce decree that said she had custody of her child. We did not have a letter from him or anything. She got her K3. We will see how CR1/2 goes, but our idea is to not stir the pot unless Guz wants more for the child to come ot America. I didn't think your time is so short between marriages. I would not worry silly over it. Even if she knew where he was would he cooperate? Otherwise if his family or friends wil not help her find him I have no idea what to tell you. You do the very best you can. Send all kinds of supporting documents and pics and utility bills and deeds and everything you can for her to take to the interview ( search for kitchen sink) if this helps her to be calm and confident in the interview.

Welcome to CFL.

While she may not know where he currently lives someone does. She might try contacting his parents or have her parents or a mutual family friend contact his parents to get an idea as to where he currently lives.

If that fails, she probably knows where his Hukou is located and may be able to get a statement from them as to his marriage status and where he lives. It might cost a bit of money to encourage someone to make a written statement that can be translated, but it beats showing up to an interview empty handed.

It's not a bad idea to have as much information about where he is when you head to the interview, in fact it is something that is specified on the new instructions with P-4.

I am afraid of giving you any advice seeing as my case has not gone too well. But I can tell you how to list your timeline. :D Go to your contols and edit signature. You can add your timeline and it will be on your posts as your signature.

Thanks and good luck with your case! :D

I am afraid of giving you any advice seeing as my case has not gone too well. But I can tell you how to list your timeline. :D Go to your contols and edit signature. You can add your timeline and it will be on your posts as your signature.

Thanks and good luck with your case! :D

Looks like your timeline is moving pretty good. I wish you much luck with your case too and God speed.

We only used a notorized translation of the divorce decree that said she had custody of her child. We did not have a letter from him or anything. She got her K3. We will see how CR1/2 goes, but our idea is to not stir the pot unless Guz wants more for the child to come ot America. I didn't think your time is so short between marriages. I would not worry silly over it. Even if she knew where he was would he cooperate? Otherwise if his family or friends wil not help her find him I have no idea what to tell you. You do the very best you can. Send all kinds of supporting documents and pics and utility bills and deeds and everything you can for her to take to the interview ( search for kitchen sink) if this helps her to be calm and confident in the interview.

Welcome to CFL.

I remember that Ying's divorce decree said she had custody of her son, and did not say anything abouther ex, other than he had to pay so much yuan a month starting at a specific date. If her decree has similar language, her ex need not be involved.

I would think the only way that this particular situation could be a problem is if fraud is suspected.

There should'nt be any problems as long as her papers are all in order.

The P-4 documentation changed in March of this year and makes a information concerning the location of EX's for both parties one of the required items. (I read the one sent to Lars by his wife but the quality of the fax made difficult to scan.) Now whether they collect it or not is another story, but we have seen enough people receive blue slips with that being the main item requested.

IMHO it's easier to spend the time prior to the interview trying to chase this down instead of being caught off guard at the interview.

I would think the only way that this particular situation could be a problem is if fraud is suspected.

The P-4 documentation changed in March of this year and makes a information concerning the location of EX's for both parties one of the required items. (I read the one sent to Lars by his wife but the quality of the fax made difficult to scan.) Now whether they collect it or not is another story, but we have seen enough people receive blue slips with that being the main item requested.

IMHO it's easier to spend the time prior to the interview trying to chase this down instead of being caught off guard at the interview.

I don't see a form like that listed under Guangzhou K3 FAQ's in Packet #4.

This is what I see under the consulate's website needed for the interview:

Notarial marital status certificate. If divorced before, previous divorce certificates for each marriage are required. If any child from previous marriage will also apply for visa, a divorce decree showing the child's custody is needed.

I can't see where it is necessary, or required, to show proof of an ex-spouse's whereabouts unless it is specifically asked for on an issued bluesheet, where it is listed, and usually that is if they suspect fraud.

Alot of people would find locating an 'ex' nearly impossible to do. As long as the divorce papers are in order at time of interview, that should be all they need.

Chasing down an EX could cause undue stress and I wouldn't do it unless the IV unit specifically requests it.

There was a case like that one time, where an applicant was asked for this information. The applicant never came back because the applicant was still married and the spouse was in the US. This was a case of fraud and the IV unit caught it. Good for them!

I don't see a form like that listed under Guangzhou K3 FAQ's in Packet #4.

This is what I see under the consulate's website needed for the interview:

Notarial marital status certificate. If divorced before, previous divorce certificates for each marriage are required. If any child from previous marriage will also apply for visa, a divorce decree showing the child's custody is needed.

I can't see where it is necessary, or required, to show proof of an ex-spouse's whereabouts unless it is specifically asked for on an issued bluesheet, where it is listed, and usually that is if they suspect fraud.

Alot of people would find locating an 'ex' nearly impossible to do. As long as the divorce papers are in order at time of interview, that should be all they need.

Chasing down an EX could cause undue stress and I wouldn't do it unless the IV unit specifically requests it.

There was a case like that one time, where an applicant was asked for this information. The applicant never came back because the applicant was still married and the spouse was in the US. This was a case of fraud and the IV unit caught it. Good for them!

The web site doesn't include everything that is specified in the P-4 documentation but the form they send out says to bring it. The revised OF-171 specifically says to bring it.