Making Matches in Parks in Beijing

I'm all for it. Where do I sign up for my son? Sure wish he would let me help him out this way.

I will have to go take a look next time. I wonder if my son and I stumbled into one of these back in December/Jan.

Cousin of mine and I used to talk about the virtues of arranged marriages when we were younger. Of course this is just bland date making, I suppose.

One time I sure appreciated the help of a good friend of a girl I wanted to date. It worked out grate and I regretted many years that I did not marry her.

PS: Go to a park in North Dallas or Waco at night and you run the chance of being arrested. All the Gays take over at night. Make you sick to drive through, then you get out of there as fast as possible with some old fart chasing you.

Edited by SheLikesME (see edit history)

If these workaholic young people do manage to actually meet for a date, what are they going to talk about, work? And how could they have a conversation with each other? They would have cell phone calls coming in all the time. If they did get married and live together who is going to cook since neither of them knows how? They only know how to eat in restaurants.

I was thinking, wow, if I was young then I might want to meet one of these high-powered young ladies and I could give her the chance to kick it up a notch and go international, that would be fun to see her excitement.

But then I quickly realized what an empty, work oriented, and consumer oriented life those young people must be living and it made me more thankful again to be the age I am and married to my sweet "old" lady who knows how to make a home and make a life of togetherness with her husband.

This underscores China¡¯s tradition of matchmaking and the concept of accepting arranged marriages. I agree Robert, that their marriages will seem a bit separated; however, from their parent¡¯s viewpoint, they just want a grandchild and don¡¯t want to wait. So the couple meet, have a child, essentially give the child to their parents to raise while they continue on with their careers. I suppose the cycle would continue, after the couple has reached their retirement age.

Even though it isn¡¯t done here in America, to my knowledge, I could see my mom meeting with other moms in order to find me a ¡°good Christian girl¡± to marry. :P

My wife and I finalized our plans to marry in Sep 05. Later, she told me that at the end of January 05, her mom pulled her aside and told her it was time to arrange a marriage, she was getting too old (34) and needed to get out of the house and start her own life. She begged her mom to wait until the end of the year, that she had something in the works. :surprise:

This is a Beijing family, fairly high in the city structure. Not yokels, not rural citizens, but sophisticated upper class people talking about arranging a marriage.

Her parents are pretty happy how it turned out. They wanted her married, but much prefer it to be someone she actually chose herself.

This underscores China¡¯s tradition of matchmaking and the concept of accepting arranged marriages. I agree Robert, that their marriages will seem a bit separated; however, from their parent¡¯s viewpoint, they just want a grandchild and don¡¯t want to wait. So the couple meet, have a child, essentially give the child to their parents to raise while they continue on with their careers. I suppose the cycle would continue, after the couple has reached their retirement age.

Even though it isn¡¯t done here in America, to my knowledge, I could see my mom meeting with other moms in order to find me a ¡°good Christian girl¡± to marry. :D

I personally think that this is just over-thinking it 'western style'... They make it work in a way we in the west cannot... since they are not as consumed with thinking about it.. just doing it. Why worry about someone else's setup. It's their decision, doing, and life...