quick question

is there a form for this?? (certificate of single status)

If so where may i obtain it

Thanks ;)

Check with your state's vital records department. They have single status certificates.

There's also other ways of obtaining one. Look at the China embassy in D.C. website. They address the topic and even had a form you can print.

For the interview there is a Certificate of Single status that your SO will get at the Notary office, but this has a limited life so wait until after P-3 has been returned and close to P-4 to get this along with the Police certificate.

You do not need to provide one for yourself as you had to prove you could marry with your I-129F petition.

I live in new york, got application from N.Y. chinese consulate website.

1. brought my divorce papers to bank to be notarized.

2. then to county court house to be certified.

3. next mail to secratary of state to be certified.

4. then mail to chinese consulete in N.Y.C.

today got divorce papers back with certified seals.

now, i am not sure if we can just go to hometown (hukou) and register to marry.

if anybody has done this let me know my next step. My SO will be a CR1/CR2 case.

if anybody has done this let me know my next step. My SO will be a CR1/CR2 case.

All your papers will have to be translated into Chinese then taken to the Bureau of Civil Affairs office in your SO's city to register the marriage.

The good thing now is that you don't have to get a physical done first. They stopped doing that in October 2003.

All your papers will have to be translated into Chinese then taken to the Bureau of Civil Affairs office in your SO's city to register the marriage.

The good thing now is that you don't have to get a physical done first. They stopped doing that in October 2003.

They do? where does it say that?

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/fhjh/t84256.htm

We were CR1/CR2.

I followed these instructions and was married in China without any problems.

Marriage Registration in China

wow! 17 months for CR1/CR2 :flowers_and_kisses: you did not have to translate divorce papers?

Her documents were translated and notarized from Chinese to English for the USA folks.

I didn't translate anything from English to Chinese. I received the "certificate of marriagebility" from the Houston Consulate. They reviewed the divorce papers and my declaration of being single.

I had the Divorce papers notarized by the district clerks office, then the Texas Secretary of State certified that the district clerks stamp is geniune. Had my statement of being single notarized and the Texas Secretary of State certified that the notary was a real notary.

Brought all of those papers along with the papers received by the consulate to China, gave them to my wife-to-be and let HER do all the talking at the Registrars office. :o We came back at an appointed time and waited while another American/Sino couple were being registered as man and wife.

Interesting that the man did ask via my wife 1) "Do you like her family?" and 2) "Do you like her?" After my "yeses" He then spent the next 15 minutes trying to make the books look nice with clean handwriting (he went through 2 over them due to misprints on his part). Then that's it. Ya'll married.

Back to topic. I personally recommend that you and her have anything that is remotely offical notarized. It's a pain, costs a few more bucks but it sure covers your bases.

Check with your state's vital records department. They have single status certificates.

There's also other ways of obtaining one. Look at the China embassy in D.C. website. They address the topic and even had a form you can print.

Do you mind give me the link, please.

From the Chinese Consulate in Houston

AFFIDAVIT OF SINGLE STATUS

On this date of_________________, I,(name of affiant),

residing at(street and number)(city)(state)(zip code)

BEING DULY SWORN DEPOSE AND SAY:

I was born on(date)at(city)(country)

I am a(country)citizen. My passport number is

I am a(current occupation). I am employed by(company name and address)

I am currently single, have never been married (or was divorced/widowed on(date)and have never been remarried since that date).

I have no direct blood tie or kinship within 3 generations with XXX(name of fiancee/fiance).

Signature of the Affiant: _______________________________

Name in Print:________________________________________

(For the Notary Public)

Subscribed and sworn to before me by(name of affiant)on this____day of ________________.

When my wife and I married I just brought the single certificate I recieved back from the Chinese consulate with me and we then went to her home town and married. After we married we then had the marriage certificate and all her other papers translated to English at the notary office.

We were CR1/CR2.

I followed these instructions and was married in China without any problems.

Marriage Registration in China

wow! 17 months for CR1/CR2 :lol: you did not have to translate divorce papers?

Her documents were translated and notarized from Chinese to English for the USA folks.

I didn't translate anything from English to Chinese. I received the "certificate of marriagebility" from the Houston Consulate. They reviewed the divorce papers and my declaration of being single.

I had the Divorce papers notarized by the district clerks office, then the Texas Secretary of State certified that the district clerks stamp is geniune. Had my statement of being single notarized and the Texas Secretary of State certified that the notary was a real notary.

Brought all of those papers along with the papers received by the consulate to China, gave them to my wife-to-be and let HER do all the talking at the Registrars office. :lol: We came back at an appointed time and waited while another American/Sino couple were being registered as man and wife.

Interesting that the man did ask via my wife 1) "Do you like her family?" and 2) "Do you like her?" After my "yeses" He then spent the next 15 minutes trying to make the books look nice with clean handwriting (he went through 2 over them due to misprints on his part). Then that's it. Ya'll married.

Back to topic. I personally recommend that you and her have anything that is remotely offical notarized. It's a pain, costs a few more bucks but it sure covers your bases.

When you say "Brought all of those papers along with the papers received by the consulate" to China"

what exactly are they? when I got my divorce papers back from chinese consulate, the secratary of state paper has a 2x3.5 inch blue stamp and a little round halogram decal on back. Is this the certificate of marriageability?

thanks for your patience.

Here's the link from the embassy to follow.

The single-status form they present wasn't on their website when I went thru the process. I got mine from my state's vital records department. Check with your state to see if you can get a copy of it. Your state can even authenticate it before mailing it to you. I think they might be able to forward it to the US State Department for authentication before it goes to the Chinese embassy or consulate.

Here's the link from the embassy to follow.

The single-status form they present wasn't on their website when I went thru the process. I got mine from my state's vital records department. Check with your state to see if you can get a copy of it. Your state can even authenticate it before mailing it to you. I think they might be able to forward it to the US State Department for authentication before it goes to the Chinese embassy or consulate.

Authentication

The Chinese Embassy and Consulates authenticate documents which are executed in the United States and will be used in China. Type of documents include: birth/death certificates, power of attorney, marriage certificates, diplomas, adoption application papers, business license, etc.

How to apply/Document must be:

1. Signed before a notary public.

2. Certified by the clerk of Court of the County in which the document is commissioned if applicable. It may be omitted if the authority in item 3 will certify directly to the notary.

3. Certified by the Secretary of the State in which the document is executed.

4. Certified by the relevant Consulate - General. You must apply to the correct Consulate - General which holds consular jurisdiction over your area of residence.

For applicants who live in the consular jurisdiction of Chinese Consulate in Chicago, documents after being certified by the authority in item 3 shall be certified by the Secretary of State of each relevant State, and then by Chinese Consulate in Chicago.

To save yourself one step in the process begin with Item 2 and have the County Clerk notarize the form.