Single Certificate question

Hi CFLers,

We just got my SO's Single Certificate. On the document it says that from 2001 to 2006 she has never registered for marriage. She has never been married.

At the end of the document, it says that the document only provides proof that she has not been married in the city of her hukou (Shanghai), but it adds that there is no guarantee that she hasn't been registered for marriage in another city.

Does she have to get a certificate like this for each place that she has lived? This would be really bad news cause we only have a couple weeks until the interview. ;)

Thanks again for all of your help,

- xiaobu

Maybe she can make a never married declaration at the notarization office, to declare she never married in China.

Here are the 2 examples in Chinese for her reference:

δ»é¹«Ö¤Êé

£¨¡¡¡¡£©¡Á¡Á×ÖµÚ¡Á¡ÁºÅ

×ÈÖ¤Ã÷¡Á¡Á¡Á£¨ÄлòÕßÅ®£¬¡ÁÄê¡ÁÔ¡ÁÈÕ³öÉú£©£¬ÏÖÔÚ¡Á¡Á¡Á¡Á£¨×¡Ö·£©£¬ÖÁ½ñδÔøµÇ¼Ç½á»é¡£

ÖлªÈËÃñ¹²ºÍ¹ú¡Á¡ÁÊУ¨ÏØ£©¹«Ö¤´¦

¹«Ö¤Ô±£º¡Á¡Á¡Á£¨Ç©Ãû£©

¡ÁÄê¡ÁÔ¡ÁÈÕ

Ó¦ÌṩµÄÖ¤¼þ£º

1¡¢ÉêÇëÈ˵ÄÉí·ÝÖ¤¡¢»§¿Ú±¡»òÆäËûÉí·ÝÖ¤Ã÷£¬ÈçÔÚ¹úÍâµÄÓ¦Ìṩ»¤ÕÕ¸´Ó¡¼þ¡£

2¡¢ÉêÇëÈËËùÔÚ¹¤×÷µ¥Î»ÈËʲ¿ÃÅ£¬»òÃñÕþ¾Ö£¬»ò»§¿ÚËùÔڵصĽֵÀ°ìÊ´¦³ö¾ßµÄδ»éÖ¤Ã÷»òÀë»é¡¢É¥Å¼ºóδÔÙ»éÖ¤Ã÷¡£

3¡¢ÉêÇëÈËÈçίÍÐËûÈË´úΪ°ìÀíµÄÓ¦µ±Ìṩ´ú°ìÈ˵ÄÉí·ÝÖ¤¡¢»§¿Ú±¡µÈÉí·ÝÖ¤Ã÷¡£

δ»éÉùÃ÷Êé

ÉùÃ÷ÈË£º

ÐÔ±ð£º

³öÉúÈÕÆÚ£º

ÏÖסַ£º

±¾ÈËÔÚ¹«Ö¤Ô±ÃæÇ°Ö£ÖØÉùÃ÷ÈçÏ£¬½ØÖÁ±¾ÉùÃ÷ÊéÇ©ÊðÖ®ÈÕ£¬±¾ÈË´ÓδÔÚÈκεصãÒÔÈκη½Ê½ÓëÈκÎÈ˵޽á¹ý»éÒö¹Øϵ¡£

±¾È˱£Ö¤ÉÏÊöÉùÃ÷ÍêÈ«Õæʵ£¬ÈçÓв»Êµ£¬Ô¸³Ðµ£Ò»Çз¨ÂÉÔðÈΡ£

ÉùÃ÷ÈË£ºXXX

XXXXÄêXÔÂXÈÕ

Ó¦ÌṩµÄÖ¤¼þ£ºÉí·ÝÖ¤

Edited by mama bear (see edit history)

someone just posted the same exact problem... shanghai single certificate.. they said there was no problem with the wording. Although I tend to agree with a "never married" document as shown above:

I just thought I would post real fast some things that might be useful to others.

First, the interview questions (this differs a little from my previous post for I have more info now):

How did you meet your fiancee?

Why was he in China then?

What does he do now?

Do you have an I-134? (there was no problem with a cosponsor)

Why didn't you get married in China?

There was no request for pictures. (But in no way do I suggest going to the interview without pictures)

Before the interview it came to my attention that there might be a problem with the unmarried certificate my fiance had. It was a statement (notarized and translated) from the marriage registration bureau in her locality saying she was not married in that locality, but they could not guarantee she was not married anywhere else. ---- This was sufficient and never questioned.

Remember when filing the 129f a passport stamp showing you were in China (or a country where you SO was) is imperative. Pictures will not trump this "primary evidence" of proof that the couple has met within two years prior to filing the 129f.

That is the exact wording my So had for her interview on September 18. There were absolutely no problems with it. It included the exact same dates. My guess 2001 is when Shanghai computertized those records. The only difference may be that my SO was legally to young to marry in 2001.

My personal thoughts are this statement from a government entity is stronger than a personal statement (after all, she will have to sign a personal statement herself at the consulate anyway).

If you want to make a statement, which is what most people do, it won't cost that much and will be worthwhile if that's asked for.

About getting a unmarried certificate from each place she lived........

i don't know exactly. the marriage age in China is 20 for women so you certainly won't need one from a place she lived before that age.

It is my understanding that a marriage needs to be registered (reported) to the person's locality in China. So in theory, the place of your beneficiary's household registration would be sufficient. But the Consulate may know this doesn't always happen in practice and may want more if you benifciary has lived in more than one place.

But I think when one transfer's their residence within China all the information from the past residence tranfers to the new place of registration. That's what we were told by the people at the registry in Shanghai (I wouldn't ever vouch for their reliabiliy).

The consulate is looking for proof your benificiary is free to marry. Yes, this is like looking at a stack of hey and trying to prove that there is not a needle in it. (How many places in the world can a person get married??). The consulate knows this so just get as much as you can to show that she is not currently married so you can limit their discretion.

Hope this helped.