GUZ and DOS

Hello All,

I am just trying to figure out what to make of this:

1) A couple weeks ago, we called DOS and I was told we were eligible and waiting for an interview.

2) This week, we called DOS and we were told we were not eligible for an interview, but everything is completed and name check complete.

3) After emailing GUZ, we are told that we are under "name check clearance"

4) After calling DOS today, they do not have a record of her pending a name check.

Should I be worried? :(

Hey agape, I think we have very similar timelines and situations (I'm DCF too)

I just called the Visa Information Center # (the one you where you have to pay) about 2 hours ago, and an operator gave me the following info about my case status:

1) case status is still at Name Check.

2) I informed her of my recent phone call to DOS (09/11/06) and what DOS told me regarding our Name Check Completion¡­paperwork sent to GUZ¡­waiting for interview date.

3) She said this is a Name Check performed by GUZ and is different from the one DOS is talking about. Her words: ¡°There are 2 aspects to the Name Check process, one which takes place in the U.S. and the other one that takes place in China...which is what¡¯s done to our case right now.¡±

4) I asked her about how long this 2nd Name Check would take, she could not give me an answer, but just said after this 2nd Name Check is done, then our case would be lined up in the queue for interview dates, after which when interview dates are determined, then P4 is sent out to us.

I have been searching in the CFL archived posts for the 411 on this 2nd namecheck, but it seems like different people were being told different things regarding this 2nd namecheck.

Maybe GUZ is also running the 2nd namecheck (in China) for your case, after the 1st one was finished in Washington DC?

Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks!

That GUZ does a second [DOS] name check is no secret.. at one time, it was stated that everyone undergoes this; not sure if this is still the case.

I'm under the impression that it is simply different US agencies performing the checks... not necessarily checks on chinese systems.

Technically speaking, it's the third check... but the second one by DOS:

- The first check is done by USCIS; a IBIS check.

- The second check (or first by DOS) is done by NVC; an FBI check.

- The third check (or second by GUZ) is done by ??????????? (I assume washington.. but not sure).

About the DOS name check, it seems that when you file DCF, nothing goes to the NVC. I called the NVC the other day, and they said that our records do not exist (they check out SS#, Case Number, and even names, and nothing came up). A call to DOS confirmed that our application in not touched by NVC.

Our P3 was entered into the computer in GUZ on August 18th, and then the name check was cleared on August 22nd. Would this have been the GUZ security check, or the DOS security check - or is something else going on?

Thank you all for your advice and thoughts! :D

That GUZ does a second [DOS] name check is no secret.. at one time, it was stated that everyone undergoes this; not sure if this is still the case.

I'm under the impression that it is simply different US agencies performing the checks... not necessarily checks on chinese systems.

- The third check (or second by GUZ) is done by ??????????? (I assume washington.. but not sure).

About the DOS name check, it seems that when you file DCF, nothing goes to the NVC. I called the NVC the other day, and they said that our records do not exist (they check out SS#, Case Number, and even names, and nothing came up). A call to DOS confirmed that our application in not touched by NVC.

Our P3 was entered into the computer in GUZ on August 18th, and then the name check was cleared on August 22nd. Would this have been the GUZ security check, or the DOS security check - or is something else going on?

Thank you all for your advice and thoughts! :D

That's correct.. a DCF case does not go through NVC... in your case, you would not have that one run at NVC... since NVC and GUZ (consulates) are really under DOS, it's not clear to me if GUZ does the same FBI check done at NVC... but GUZ clearly does some checks...

The key point is to ask DOS if the case is pending any more checks or is "eligible for an interview".. or they may respond that it is "documentarily qualified". Both of these terms mean that everything on the case is done and you are just waiting on an interview date assignment.