I-864 Question

Part 5 of the new I-864 form deals with Sponsor's household size, and question 21, part d asks you to enter any dependent children. The instructions for that line says to "include any unmarried children under 21, even if you do not have legal custody"... I have a 12 year son who I do not have custody of and pay child support for. I do not claim him as a dependent on my taxes. I'm confused as "dependent" to me implies that you are claiming them as a deduction on your taxes. If anyone has recent experience, or knows if I should include my son as part of my household size by checking the box for d I would appreciate it. It seems clear that I should from the above quoted instruction, but I've made too many mistakes lately and don't trust my judgement at the moment :( . Thank you.

I would put down "none" since you don't support him.

-------------------------------------

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffair...eets/affaqa.htm

How is household size determined?

Household size for purposes of the affidavit of support includes the sponsor and anyone related to the sponsor by birth, marriage, or adoption living in the sponsor's residence for at least 6 months, dependents listed on the sponsor's Federal income tax return for the most recent tax year, immigrants previously sponsored on the new affidavit of support if the support obligation has not terminated, and the persons sponsored in the current affidavit of support (the principal immigrant and any accompanying spouse and/or children.)

I would put down "none" since you don't support him.

-------------------------------------

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffair...eets/affaqa.htm

How is household size determined?

"and the persons sponsored in the current affidavit of support (the principal immigrant and any accompanying spouse and/or children.)"

How would I fill it out for a 12 year old son of my wife who I am currently sponsoring (wife, that is)? Her son is on the paperwork as he must be, but he will not be coming with her (ex has custody). So, do I NOT list him on page 5 of the I-864 as he will not be accompanying her? This stuff is soooo confusing! Thanks!!