Tattoos, western food and trade fairs ...

coulter

This has been mentioned in other posts (the October trade fairs), but for those of you with October interviews, book your hotel now. My SO is currently in Guangzhou for her medical and checked with several hotels ... all of which report they are already booked full for October (at 200-400% of the normal rate, I might add).

If you are looking for inexpensive western food in Guangzhou, she tells me she found a western restaurant in the Ikea store that meets both criteria. For those of you who do not know, the Ikea store is adjacent to the US Consulate in Guangzhou, on the west (? ... I've never seen the sun in Guangzhou so still do not do well with directions) side.

Lastly, I have been told this has been reported on 001, but I have not seen it here. Apparently, the hospitals in Guangzhou are checking the applicants for tattoos, per the instructions of the US government. Now, my SO confirms it. When the hospital was "inspecting" my SO's entire body, my SO asked the hospital staff why? She was told by the hospital staff that recently the US government instructed the hospital to inspect for tattoos and report same. 001 is reporting that tattoos must be removed, but my SO was not able to confirm that rumor (she has none) while she was at the hospital. I would really like to know: (1) why medical inspection for tattoos is now important. If for identification purposes, that I understand; and, (2) if they are required to be removed as 001 reports (which would really baffle the heck out of me, but the US government has done stranger things). Maybe this an appropriate question for USCONGUZ.

Lastly, I have been told this has been reported on 001, but I have not seen it here. Apparently, the hospitals in Guangzhou are checking the applicants for tattoos, per the instructions of the US government. Now, my SO confirms it. When the hospital was "inspecting" my SO's entire body, my SO asked the hospital staff why? She was told by the hospital staff that recently the US government instructed the hospital to inspect for tattoos and report same. 001 is reporting that tattoos must be removed, but my SO was not able to confirm that rumor (she has none) while she was at the hospital. I would really like to know: (1) why medical inspection for tattoos is now important. If for identification purposes, that I understand; and, (2) if they are required to be removed as 001 reports (which would really baffle the heck out of me, but the US government has done stranger things). Maybe this an appropriate question for USCONGUZ.

I can see and understand the US GOVERNMENT using Tattoos for identification purposes....

hummm having them removed? Maybe someone in Congress doesn't like Tattoos?

I agree stranger things have happen

I'm also glad my wife don't have any Tattoos

This has been mentioned in other posts (the October trade fairs), but for those of you with October interviews, book your hotel now. My SO is currently in Guangzhou for her medical and checked with several hotels ... all of which report they are already booked full for October (at 200-400% of the normal rate, I might add).

If you are looking for inexpensive western food in Guangzhou, she tells me she found a western restaurant in the Ikea store that meets both criteria. For those of you who do not know, the Ikea store is adjacent to the US Consulate in Guangzhou, on the west (? ... I've never seen the sun in Guangzhou so still do not do well with directions) side.

For the purpose of ID'ing someone, I can understand the tattoo checks... but removal of them hardly seems legal. That's not to say it isn't feasible though. My question is: why fly all the way to China to eat Western Food, haha? :rolleyes:

This is only an opinion.

Tattoos?

Tattoos have been around for who knows how long.

Next they will check for breast implants, Botox injections, and body piercing. (opinion based only)

Chest X-ray would show implants.

There are teenage children here have all of the above. They get them for graduation presents.

How many of our enlisted have them?

I do not remember seeing anything pertaining to denial for tattoos, or any of the list above.

It is not illegal to have them, but sure some people look down on them.

I have tattoos. They are part of me.

Removal? Someone should not have to hide who they are.

Maybe only the " CCP " tattoos need to be removed.

For identification? Understandable. Cause of denial? Show me a law that states such.

I doubt very seriously that they would require them to be removed. Rumors get started very easily on 001. They just want a record of any identifying marks. Remember them checking Toni's husband for scars on his head? Same thing and he got his visa. If they do decide to check for implants though I want to apply for that job.

• 2 weeks later...

The checking for tatoos is not restricted only to those seeking entry in to the US from China. There are a couple of reasons for checking for tatoos during the medical exam.

1) Improperly obtained tatoos can be reason to suspect HIV or Hep B infection and do a more indepth exam.

2) Some tatoos will indicate association with criminal organizations such as MS-13. This new inspection for tatoos during the medical exam may be an effort to prevent entry of undesirables into the US and the basis for a permanent denial of a visa.

Edited by Rakkasan (see edit history)
  • 2 months later...

This is by no means an informed answer... just some speculation.

1) Tatoos can be signs of criminal gang membership. The FBI has a tatoo database with corresponding gang affiliations.

2) Tatoos can also be used to hide needle marks... evidence of drug use...

3) China probably does not have the health codes that the US does...