Did rule change? Do they ask to see petitioner?

Hello:

My fiancee has been searching some Chinese language k1 sites. She read a post that stated on September 5, a SO asked if the VO wanted to see her fiance. The VO said yes, then the SO proceeded past the guard and brought her fiance back to meet the VO.

I find this difficult to believe based on everything I have read. If it is true I may actually go back to China for the interview. Please chim in. Especially anyone who had their interview last week. Did anyone see a Petitioner actually walk in to the interview?

I will not vouch for the credibility of the post for whatever site she was on, but if this is the case it is very useful information.

I hope I am not starting a rumor, just want to check on one.

Thanks

The VOs have discretionary power.. means, they do whatever they want... Rules don't change that much; VOs do; They differ and their approach to get clarification or resolve an issue will.

Normally, they don't accept VHS/DVD/VCD at the interview; I can recall one member (DanR) who handed one over for them to slip in the computer.

As a general rule, the petitioner does not attend the interview; whether a VO wants to call one over for clarification should not surprise us... it's just that we should never presume it will happen more a few times a year across all interviews...

Here's one DCF member who related it happening as well... (it's in the DCF FAQ):

During the interview one spouse came to the 4th floor because the VO wanted to ask her husband about where the domicile was going to be.

Guest pushbrk

Hello:

My fiancee has been searching some Chinese language k1 sites. She read a post that stated on September 5, a SO asked if the VO wanted to see her fiance. The VO said yes, then the SO proceeded past the guard and brought her fiance back to meet the VO.

I find this difficult to believe based on everything I have read. If it is true I may actually go back to China for the interview. Please chim in. Especially anyone who had their interview last week. Did anyone see a Petitioner actually walk in to the interview?

I will not vouch for the credibility of the post for whatever site she was on, but if this is the case it is very useful information.

I hope I am not starting a rumor, just want to check on one.

Thanks

If this happened it would be an exception, not a rule change. I don't think there is any rule that a VO cannot request to see a USC, if present. It is simply the policy of GUZ to interview the applicant alone. Of course there is nothing preventing the applicant from asking the VO to speak to their USC SO that is waiting outside. This does not mean the VO must do so. If I remember correctly somebody recently reported here, that their SO came and got them to answer a question. I think it was a DCF case.

Thanks alot for the help.

Fortunately I found this site in time.

I have to now decide if I should go back to be with my SO during the interview. Like everyone else I want to be there to provide encouragement for my SO just before the interview. But I had considered paying about 1500$ for a round trip ticket on top of missing school and work and the cost was too high.

Now, I guess there is a chance that my SO can request the VO talk to me, but it would only be to clear something up, and the chances of me getting in are less than 1%.

I just worry that I will hate myself if the interview goes sour and I wasn't even there to clear up anything.

All things considered, I think I just have to wait by my computer with a bunch on cheetohs waiting for the result.

I would love to have the option that if the USC were present, they get interviewed together always. You would think the VO would like to see that kind of support. (regardless if there is not alot of room in the waiting area). Really, how many USC's would actually be there and take up how much extra space? The time it would save in no confusion and ease of interview could even add extra interviews each day and make it more efficient too.

I would love to have the option that if the USC were present, they get interviewed together always. You would think the VO would like to see that kind of support. (regardless if there is not alot of room in the waiting area). Really, how many USC's would actually be there and take up how much extra space? The time it would save in no confusion and ease of interview could even add extra interviews each day and make it more efficient too.

This has been addressed by USCONGUZ in the past if you want to look up their reasons.

This has been addressed by USCONGUZ in the past if you want to look up their reasons.

I have read it in the past as posted, but it is still my opinion.

Edited by MikeandRong (see edit history)

I have read it in the past as posted, but it is still my opinion.

I think the unspoken unwritten deal killer on this is that because the PRC is a high visa fraud area, they catch more of the fraudsters by speaking to the applicants directly.

I think you are correcto mundo about the stateside petitioners this past week, Randy ..........

I think that for most of our interviewees (this week and last), the US petitioner was here in the states.

I think you are correcto mundo about the stateside petitioners this past week, Randy ..........

I think that for most of our interviewees (this week and last), the US petitioner was here in the states.

I too was in the states during the wife's interview.

I'd be curious to see the statistics on visa fraud.

I think the unspoken unwritten deal killer on this is that because the PRC is a high visa fraud area, they catch more of the fraudsters by speaking to the applicants directly.

That seems a bit counterintuitive to me unless you are saying it's better to deny an otherwise valid visa applicant than to let a fraudulent applicant slip through. Anecdotal evidence suggests the likelihood of denying a visa to a valid applicant may actually go up in the absence of joint interviews, but I haven't seen anything that suggests the number of caught fraudulent applicants also goes up in the absence of joint interviews.

If the principal criterion for a family based visa is the establishment of a bona fide relationship, having both parties present would seem to be the way to go. I take USCONGUZ at his word when he says resources and volume militate against joint interviews.

I will now return to reading my latest book, "Conspiracy Theories" by I.C. Paranoia. :toot: