Aloha from Beijing,

Speaking of vitamins and other health items, a GNC store would be a

good thing. The GNC store at the Ala Moana Center in Honolulu is the

top store in the chain. A large percentage of it's sales are to tourists

who take them home with them.

Myles aka Annakuen'GG

Dan,

I think that Charlotte gave a good explanation of her reasons in the main forum. Being a moderator is a real pain at times and requires one to make judgement calls. Sometimes not everyone agrees with the call, but looking at Charlotte's overall contribution to the board and her reasons for moving it, I have to support her.

As to it not being a culture matter, I would disagree. Doing business in China is very much a cultural matter. In America it is much more a legal matter, but in China the legality of it is less important than understanding the culture of guanxi.

Franchising in China is an interesting idea yet I understand that there are certain legal matters to be considered, but I am not sure what they involve. Has something to do with the amount of capital involved, taxes, ad infinitum. Know a guy who tried it for a year or two in Henan and sold out. But don't let that discourage you. If you are seriously considering this, I would suggest doing a great deal of research.

In our area, English Language Schools are booming. Especially those run by foreigners. I think the key to success for this kind of endeavor is locating in an area of China where people have at least a moderate degree of disposable income. Down here, folks are pretty well off. My understanding is you need a Chinese national as a partner. Your wife, of course, should qualify for this.

I have been selling, of all things, Patches on E-bay. <chuckles> I also sell pins as well. My wife aranges to buy the items, then ships them, or holds onto them until I come over there to pick them up. This isn't what you would call a "quick proffit" business, but it is something that can be done at home, and once my wife is over here, she can do that business while I am working until she gets her work permit. Last time I had made close to 150 dollars from selling patches one time. (this is proffit, taking in all the costs involved)

Phil

The latest word that I have heard is that the Chinese government is changing the rules again and that starting in September 2003, foreigners will be allowed to operate their own language schools without a Chinese partner. I was told this came about because of the very low quality of instruction at so many of the Chinese run schools.

I have a friend who started a small school with a Chinese partner here in Shenyang this month. The PSB promptly sealed the door with their official "Do not enter" tape and demanded a hefty "fine" before they would allow them to re-open.