Question regarding Chinese SO's signature on G-325A

We all know that here in the US we sign our names by writing our first name then our surname. On the bottom of the G-325A form, it is requested that the foreign fiancee sign her name. Since Chinese people put the surname first, should she sign her name Surname first then her first name last. I will then have her sign her name in Chinese characters on the line that states, "If your native alphabet...." Again, I assume that it is the surname first for the characters. Thank you.

Guest pushbrk

We all know that here in the US we sign our names by writing our first name then our surname. On the bottom of the G-325A form, it is requested that the foreign fiancee sign her name. Since Chinese people put the surname first, should she sign her name Surname first then her first name last. I will then have her sign her name in Chinese characters on the line that states, "If your native alphabet...." Again, I assume that it is the surname first for the characters. Thank you.

The form calls for her "signature". My wife "signed" her name as she would on any official papers. She used the Chinese characters in the order she always does. There is no need to use the Roman Alphabet. It is a "signature".

Later, you are likely to see papers with her name reversed, western style. Not to worry.

The form calls for her "signature". My wife "signed" her name as she would on any official papers. She used the Chinese characters in the order she always does. There is no need to use the Roman Alphabet. It is a "signature".

Later, you are likely to see papers with her name reversed, western style. Not to worry.

Thanks for the information. I will remember this.

Actually, for the G-325A form, she does need to sign her name in Roman letters along with the date, the native characters go in the box below. I would use surname and then her given name as her signature for the signature and date box that uses Roman script characters. But, I'm no expert, there are others out there with better advice.

As aye,

Jim

Actually, for the G-325A form, she does need to sign her name in Roman letters along with the date, the native characters go in the box below. I would use surname and then her given name as her signature for the signature and date box that uses Roman script characters. But, I'm no expert, there are others out there with better advice.

As aye,

Jim

I agree with pushbrk here - if they are telling her how to write her name, or what alphabet to use, they are not asking for a signature. Signature should be the way she always writes it.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
Guest pushbrk

As aye,

Jim

This is not correct. Only if her actual "signature" is commonly done in Roman characters would she do this. Then the space below is to use the native characters that represent her "name". In our case the two were exactly the same. In other cases they may be different. For instance if one is from Iraq and commonly signs their name in Roman characters, they would still need to "write" or type if applicable their name in Arabic characters. Another example would be illegible signatures that do not spell out the entire name. In that case the "signature" although "Roman" will be different than the "written name" if the native characters are not Roman. If native characters are roman alternate alphabet space can be left blank.

This is not correct. Only if her actual "signature" is commonly done in Roman characters would she do this. Then the space below is to use the native characters that represent her "name". In our case the two were exactly the same. In other cases they may be different. For instance if one is from Iraq and commonly signs their name in Roman characters, they would still need to "write" or type if applicable their name in Arabic characters. Another example would be illegible signatures that do not spell out the entire name. In that case the "signature" although "Roman" will be different than the "written name" if the native characters are not Roman. If native characters are roman alternate alphabet space can be left blank.

I agreed with your post, but the second has me totally confused... let's simply this.

1. Where it asks to sign, sign as she would sign any document (as randy basically says).

2. Where it asks for native alphabet (NOT native character!) , use Pinyin... this is not the same as the signature...

BUZZZZZZ!! WRONG AGAIN! It can and often does matter. A name reversal by a DHS employee cost me 11 months!!!!! Be VERY VERY careful when calculating first name/last name and surrname/given name!!!!!!!

BUZZZZZZ!! WRONG AGAIN! It can and often does matter. A name reversal by a DHS employee cost me 11 months!!!!! Be VERY VERY careful when calculating first name/last name and surrname/given name!!!!!!!

agreed... Only two acceptable ways to state a name in western notation:

John Smith

Smith, John

This is not a reversal, but proper annotation with a comma... (Only reversal from another country's annotation). Since all documents are for the US government, one of these two notations should persist throughout all documents.

We used the John Smith method. There were no errors through out the process for us as far as name.

agreed... Only two acceptable ways to state a name in western notation:

John Smith

Smith, John

This is not a reversal, but proper annotation with a comma... (Only reversal from another country's annotation). Since all documents are for the US government, one of these two notations should persist throughout all documents.

Guest pushbrk

I agreed with your post, but the second has me totally confused... let's simply this.

1. Where it asks to sign, sign as she would sign any document (as randy basically says).

2. Where it asks for native alphabet (NOT native character!) , use Pinyin... this is not the same as the signature...

Pinyin is not an alphabet. Pinyin uses the Roman alphabet. Chinese Characters, Arabic, Russian, Korean, Japanese etc. are alphabets. For instance, WE call them "letters" but A, b and C are "characters" in the Roman Alphabet.

Edited by pushbrk (see edit history)

Pinyin is not an alphabet. Pinyin uses the Roman alphabet. Chinese Characters, Arabic, Russian, Korean, Japanese etc. are alphabets. For instance, WE call them "letters" but A, b and C are "characters" in the Roman Alphabet.

This is just plain stupid. Are simplified characters and traditional characters two different alphabets?? They are different characters for sure.

Each character correspondes to a syllable; and to a representation in alphabetic [romanized] notation.

The G-325a says, "If your native alphabet is other than roman letters... "

SO is the chinese person supposed to write nothing, assuming that chinese letters are the same as the latin hand-me-down?

And which romanized notation do they write: The Wades-Gile or the Hanyu Pinyin ?

Let's it this simple (everything else is pontification):

Sign where asked.

Write name where asked.

Guest pushbrk

This is just plain stupid. Are simplified characters and traditional characters two different alphabets?? They are different characters for sure.

Each character correspondes to a syllable; and to a representation in alphabetic [romanized] notation.

The G-325a says, "If your native alphabet is other than roman letters... "

SO is the chinese person supposed to write nothing, assuming that chinese letters are the same as the latin hand-me-down?

And which romanized notation do they write: The Wades-Gile or the Hanyu Pinyin ?

Let's it this simple (everything else is pontification):

Sign where asked.

Write name where asked.

Sorry, David but the word "alphabet" has a definition and "pinyin" is not an alphabet. "English" uses the Roman "alphabet". My wife's native alphabet is "Chinese Symplified". Pinyin is a Romanized representation of Chinese words, not an alphabet.

The (Mainland) Chinese person "signs" their normal signature, whatever that is, when asked for a signature. In the non Roman alphabet space, they write their name using Chinese Simplified Characters. That is their native alphabet. Arabic is the native alphabet of Iraqis. Russians have a different alphabet too, as do Koreans and Japanese.

My wife and step-daughters' G325A's had their names in Typed Chinese characters pasted into the space asking for the native alphabet representations of their names. Daughter is asleep in the next room and wife says I am to take a shower now.

Edited by pushbrk (see edit history)