Just a procedural suggestion

Before returning her P3, my SO obtained a blank EMS waybill (mailing instructions) and filled in her own name, address and telephone number where appropriate on the waybill. She included that waybill with her P3 packet when she sent the P3 to GUZ. GUZ then used her waybill to send the P4 (after filling in the GUZ side of the waybill). I doubt that my SO's small contribution measurably sped things up at GUZ, but it did reduce the likelihood of an error by a clerial worker writing the wrong address or telephone number on the waybill (and the delay that might cause). Just something to consider ...

Before returning her P3, my SO obtained a blank EMS waybill (mailing instructions) and filled in her own name, address and telephone number where appropriate on the waybill. She included that waybill with her P3 packet when she sent the P3 to GUZ. GUZ then used her waybill to send the P4 (after filling in the GUZ side of the waybill). I doubt that my SO's small contribution measurably sped things up at GUZ, but it did reduce the likelihood of an error by a clerial worker writing the wrong address or telephone number on the waybill (and the delay that might cause). Just something to consider ...

I think that's a great suggestion. Thanks coulter.

So long as GUZ is willing to use a pre-addressed waybill, I would certainly like to address the envelope myself rather than a worker at GUZ.

It does work and give you another way to check when is your p4 on it's way. It's a cheap and very affective one in this case. But I highly doubt it has anything to do with speed up the case.

No, I would not assume it helps to speed up your processing. What I believe it would do is help to cut down on any possible delays due to mis-mailing. GUZ staffers who addresses these envelopes could make a mistake every once in a while. So if you or your SO personally addressed the return envelope, it would cut down of any possible clerical errors. That's why I like this idea.

My wife sent in a self addressed EMS waybill with her P3 and GUZ did not use it. They used one of their own. We kept trying to track the self address one and the P4 showed up with GUZ filled in form. It doesn't work in all cases!!! But we thought it was a wise idea and tried it just didn't happen with us.

Interesting idea, but I did not think mis-mailing was/is a problem. If everyone starts sending in labels, it could open avenue for a new error - the provided label ends up on the wrong package.

ed and ying, the US has a very standardize addressing system.

Ed Doe

123 Maple St

Somecity, XX 10000

That's easy.

China has extremely varied addresses. I don't think they have a standardize postal addressing system in place yet. I would definitely like to address envelopes myself, rather than have some staffer do it.

Just my opinion of course. What you say has a valid point as well. If everyone sent in different labels, it could become rather chaotic as well.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI:

The procedural response to members supplying an EMS waybill back with P3:

While we don't have any particular issues with applicants doing this, the Consulate often uses pre-printed EMS waybills of our own. Using our own pre-filled-out waybills often saves us time, so we may simply tear up the waybill supplied by the applicant, not using it.

Please note that if an applicant wants us to use a new address, they should specify that in a letter to us.