Do letter of intent have to be notarized?

I was wondering what documents do have to be notarized and which don't? I was searching through this forum and I found a sample "Letter of Intent" for marriage, and it had a line under the bottom paragraph with a notary sworn and oath like "sworn and affirmed by .. on this date... commission ends on" etc.. Is this necessary for the letter of intent?

There are various forms which require notarization, and it's at the bottom and therefore obvious... most of these are at P4 and you can review them here, see the FORMS link:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19303

----

The "Intent to marry" is often the subject of much discussion... I will give contradictory answer that technically it appears as not necessary to notarize, but a few issues point to notarizing it is a 'best practice'.

The I-129F states the following:

"Provide original statements from you and your fiance(e) whom you plan to marry within 90 days of hisor her admission, and copies of any evidence you wishto submit to establish your mutual intent; "

Based on this, and the absence of any language stating "sworn to" as is found in the same instructions for other "affidavits", it appears that notarization is not needed.

-------

Nonetheless, I would encourage you to notarize it because it is your statement, and I see this as truly an "affadavit of marriage [intent]", which should be duly notarized.

I would hate to see someone get an RFE asking for this statement to be notarized, although it would be good to hear if people sent them in NOT notarized. I can tell you that despite the language asking for both to do this statement, some (including myself) only sent one in from the petitioner, so it appears this is acceptable. So you can see that instruction and accepted practice do not agree at times.

------

Here is one discussion on the topic, although a search will return many:

INTENT TO MARRY DOCUMENT, HOW TO WRITE

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18815

----

Here is a generic one I recommend.. although I will say that I put the first paragraph as a brief heartfelt 'evolution of the relationship' with dates that matched submitted proof, and then the more legal sounding jargon you will see below... thus, it is dual purpose and the consulate will see it. Always be careful with what you submit or say; they can ask the SO to prove something or submit some proof (ie: notarization)...

------

Affidavit regarding Marriage

Fiance(e) (K1) Visa, I-129F Petition of

[Petitioner Name], On Behalf of

[beneficiary Name]

United States Department of State

The United States Consulate in Guangzhou, China

[if doing a second one, include the below]

INS Receipt Number: EAC0504750700

Case Number: GUZ2005535154

[omit the above for the first intent letter]

Being Duly sworn, I, [petitioner name], declare:

I am the Petitioner named above. I am a citizen of the United States having been born in [City, State] , USA on [birthdate]. I currently live at [current address].

[ OPTIONAL: If you want to include any heartfelt evolution of the relationship, put here]

[REQUIRED: At a minimum, state the following]

I hereby state that I am legally able to and it is my intention to marry [beneficiary name] within ninety (90) days of her entry in the United States using the K1 visa.

[OPTIONAL: Or use the following, reinforcing intent to execute the spirit of the requirements of the K1 in a more heartfelt way: ]

We are very happy, excited and eager to start a life together in the USA. I am looking forward to marrying [beneficiary name] with in 90 days of her arrival in the U.S. As proof that my fiance(e) and I have met in person I am enclosing photos of us together.

(petitioner signature)

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)