CR-1 and Social Security Info

Hello all!

We just came back from the Social Security Office and everything went well! My husband's name was already on the computer system after being in the country for only about half a month! And because it was there, the officer only needed to see his passport with the visa stamp, and the SSN form.

She said that because his name was already on the computer, the process would be very simple. She said they would send the SS card 7-10 later to our house, and gave him a receipt showing that he had applied.

I asked if he could work, and she said that he would have to wait until he got the card, because he needed a number in order to work. Other than that, he doesn't have to do anything (no EAD, etc.) because CR-1 visas area already authorized to work.

The next question I have for anyone in the same shoes is: do we have to apply for the removal of conditional residency before our second anniversary, or after he has been in the country for 2 years?

Thanks!

Ana

Guest nonoa

you can apply for it no earlier than 90 days before his conditional green card expires, which, in his case, should be 1 yr and 9 months after he has been in usa.

I know you can't do it before the 90 day period, but someone told me if you do it after the 90 day period, there might be a chance you have to start everything over. To me that says that you have to do it during the 90 day window, preferably for me with at least 88 days left so you can account for lost and shredded mail.