Chat Records and Other supporting Evidence

Thank you all for your help on my first question here regardng legal advice. I regret not having discovered this forum sooner. (actually it was my fiancee who did). Since I already paid the laywers I will pass all of my paperwork through them and cross my fingers.

I was wondering if chat records (email, instant messenger) would help? The laywers didn't list it, but like you guys said, the only ones who really care about our own cases are ourselves.

Thank you all for your help on my first question here regardng legal advice. I regret not having discovered this forum sooner. (actually it was my fiancee who did). Since I already paid the laywers I will pass all of my paperwork through them and cross my fingers.

I was wondering if chat records (email, instant messenger) would help? The laywers didn't list it, but like you guys said, the only ones who really care about our own cases are ourselves.

235331[/snapback]

You should certainly send this ..

Sorry, I sent the reply early accidently. What I wanted to add is that because a large part of an international relationship occurs via online communication I think these records are important. Specially if they suspect the relationship is not valid. It definitly can't hurt to send them

235331[/snapback]

Just make sure you are proactive in the process. You will want to try to review the entire package, if possible, prior to it going out the door and insist on receiving a copy of everything they submit and receive.

My thought would be that you would want them to send you an exact duplicate of the initial filing at the same time they mail it to the service center, so you have these things for your files. It helps in the event there is a difficulty with the lawyer in the future and these could be requested again at any interview.

Guest pushbrk
Sorry, I sent the reply early accidently.  What I wanted to add is that because a large part of an international relationship occurs via online communication I think these records are important.  Specially if they suspect the relationship is not valid.  It definitly can't hurt to send them

235334[/snapback]

Chat records are unneccessary for FILING the petition because you only have to prove you met in person. Where chat and other records of communication come in is for proof of a valid relationship, at the interview. Records of telephone bills through One Suite or Dynasky type services are good, as well as any proof of additional travel to China, including a notarized copy of each page of your passport, not just the pages with visas. More pictures should be added as available.

This "proof of relationship" can be sent to your Fiance late in the process. It does not need to be passed through your attorney. She'll just take it to the interview with her.

It's good to think about the evidential items early in the process, although they are not needed till the end. But you should think about how to best collect it and organize it for later use. There are comments in the Interview FAQ on 'folder' approaches to use at the interview, so the various supporting items are easily retrieved.