random info from a American Citizens' Hour

I just finished with an American hour. Pretty much like everyone else said. Line up before 1:30--or not. they did not start seeing people until 2:30, and they let people into the room until 2:30 so it seems you wait early or you wait later.

I was surprised, although perhpas I should not have been, that there was only one other non-Asian in the group of about 40 who ended up in the waiting room. Most of the Chinese seemed to be PRC born as well. All the announcements were in Chinese.

No real surprises at the counter. I asked some questions about the forms and about subsequent visas for family. Truthfully I was doing it just to get on record that I showed up.

The one interesting idea that the VO had that I do not know if it will work all the time is for non-Chinese who use Chinese with their SO he recommended to try to bring some documentation of the American's ability to speak Chinese. This might save the day or two for the blueslip and video/VCD requirement. I am guessing an HSK certificate or college transcripts or something in the employment letter.

t minus 3 1/2 days and counting.