It seems that I may need to spend some extended time In China, with my wife. Do I just renew the 30 day visa when I am there? Also , maybe this should go in a different thread, but I have a step daughter now. My company will allow me 12 weeks off without pay. To take care of an adopted child. She is my step daughter, can I adopt her? If so what kind of paperwork is involved?

Thanks for your suggestions and assistance

Guest pushbrk
It seems that I may need to spend some extended time In China, with my wife.  Do I just renew the 30 day visa when I am there?  Also , maybe this should go in a different thread, but I have a step daughter now.  My company will allow me 12 weeks off without pay.  To take care of an adopted child.  She is my step daughter, can I adopt her?  If so what kind of paperwork is involved?

233633[/snapback]

You can extend your visa while in China or simply obtain one that allows a longer stay to begin with. I don't know about adoption.

It seems that I may need to spend some extended time In China, with my wife.  Do I just renew the 30 day visa when I am there?  Also , maybe this should go in a different thread, but I have a step daughter now.  My company will allow me 12 weeks off without pay.  To take care of an adopted child.  She is my step daughter, can I adopt her?  If so what kind of paperwork is involved?

233633[/snapback]

You can extend your visa while in China or simply obtain one that allows a longer stay to begin with. I don't know about adoption.

233635[/snapback]

www.visahq.com only lists 30 day max. Have any other places in your hip pocket?

233633[/snapback]

If you have not applied for a new China visa as yet – apply for a double-entry visa. That will be good for two 30 day visits. However, you must exit China to have your visa re-stamped to start the second 30 day visa/visit. You can exit to Hong Kong or Vietnam depending on which country you are close to.

You can have your SO visit her local Police Department and ask if they will “extend” your single 30 day visa. Sometimes they will – of course for a fee.

If you have visited China twice before you can apply for a one (1) year multi entry visit visa that is good for a 30 day stay each exit (crossing a border) and re-entry.

After you have three (3) or more expired China visas in your USA Passport, you can apply for a one (1) year multi entry visa that is good for a 90 day stay each exit and re-entry.

233633[/snapback]

If you have not applied for a new China visa as yet – apply for a double-entry visa. That will be good for two 30 day visits. However, you must exit China to have your visa re-stamped to start the second 30 day visa/visit. You can exit to Hong Kong or Vietnam depending on which country you are close to.

You can have your SO visit her local Police Department and ask if they will “extend” your single 30 day visa. Sometimes they will – of course for a fee.

If you have visited China twice before you can apply for a one (1) year multi entry visit visa that is good for a 30 day stay each exit (crossing a border) and re-entry.

After you have three (3) or more expired China visas in your USA Passport, you can apply for a one (1) year multi entry visa that is good for a 90 day stay each exit and re-entry.

233638[/snapback]

Great!!! Thanks!

Guest pushbrk
It seems that I may need to spend some extended time In China, with my wife.  Do I just renew the 30 day visa when I am there?   Also , maybe this should go in a different thread, but I have a step daughter now.  My company will allow me 12 weeks off without pay.  To take care of an adopted child.  She is my step daughter, can I adopt her?  If so what kind of paperwork is involved?

233633[/snapback]

If you have not applied for a new China visa as yet ?apply for a double-entry visa. That will be good for two 30 day visits. However, you must exit China to have your visa re-stamped to start the second 30 day visa/visit. You can exit to Hong Kong or Vietnam depending on which country you are close to.

You can have your SO visit her local Police Department and ask if they will “extend?your single 30 day visa. Sometimes they will ?of course for a fee.

233638[/snapback]

Great!!! Thanks!

233640[/snapback]

Since you are married to a Chinese, you can get the multiple entry visa now. Call these guys and tell them what you want.

http://www.visa-chinese.com/china-tourist-visa.htm

Based on personal experience:

You can get a type L tourist visa for China for multiple entries for one year.

You don't need to be married, you don't need a sponsor letter, you just apply.

The standard stay is 30 days per visit, you can get 60 days per visit just by asking for it on your application form.

When you are in China on a type L it is likely that you can get your 30 or 60 days extended by applying at the local PSB (I don't remember what the "P" stands for but the rest is Security Bureau). If not, you can leave and re-enter as Mike suggests.

The best way to get a visa is to apply for it in person at a Chinese consulate or embassy. If you go through visa services (and I do not have personal experience here) I have heard that some are not familiar with the real (as opposed to what might be on websites) visa requirements for multi entry, more than 30 days, etc.

Hello,

Also based on personal experience at the Los Angeles consulate AND by recently published policy changes, multi-entry L visas are now issued routinely.

I just received a multi entry L visa in preparation for my upcoming August trip. When I went to pick up the visa, the worker stopped and said 'please wait, there is a problem'. As she pushed a couple of papers around I asked nervously 'did something go wrong'? She replied 'Yes, they did not charge you enough...' :D

-James

Guest pushbrk
Hello,

Also based on personal experience at the Los Angeles consulate AND by recently published policy changes, multi-entry L visas are now issued routinely.

I just received a multi entry L visa in preparation for my upcoming August trip.  When I went to pick up the visa, the worker stopped and said 'please wait, there is a problem'.  As she pushed a couple of papers around I asked nervously 'did something go wrong'?  She replied 'Yes, they did not charge you enough...' :D

-James

233656[/snapback]

Jim and James offer great information for those with handy access to a Chinese Consulate. Steve, the OP, lives in Denver. Otherwise I would have suggested dropping in at the local Chinese Consulate.

If your current visa is valid for entering China,

renew the visa in Guangzhou is easy: Need to fill up a Registeration Form which I think is available in the hotel you live, get it chopped by the police nearest the place you live, then go to Visa Section in Jie Fang Nan Lu for visa renewal. I think it's around RMB150 for extending a visitor's visa for one month.

Your step-daughter can come with her mother with K4 visa. When she arrives in the States, you can change her name to your surname.

She is your daughter already, why adopt her to make things more complicated?

For adoption, I saw they only adopt babies from orphan's house for humanitarian consideration. They get US passports to leave China.

Someone told me if one is related to the adopted child, the procedure can be much more complicated and VO tends to check your motive.(I have no experience with adoption, only heard about it.)

233689[/snapback]

The only reason I would consider adopting my daughter. Sounds silly? Is that my job will allow me 12 weeks to get to know my adopted daughter. So it's my job to make my life more complicated. As Mike said if I just kept my mouth shut the I-130 would have gone thru fine. So I will have to tell my wife and that should be fun. I think I am leaning twords changing the date of my marriage. So i need to find out how this can be done. I am coming there in Sept 26th.. But if I could get it done sooner , that would be nice that way I can make a "typo correction" On the marriage date. All would be good and I could keep the I-139 going. However I need assistance to do this. Don't want to involve Jie until I have an answer to this problem.