I have been going round and round on filling out the DS 230 with SO, and about to hop a plane to China. :whistling:

I have read through posts, and some indicate the DS 230 has a barcode.

Does the DS 230 still have a barcode or not in the current P3s?

I have a scan of all of the docs, and I don't see it.

If not;

Does the DS 230 need to be filled out by hand? It says it can be typed.

Or can the fillable PDF be used?

Edited by yuan fen (see edit history)
I have been going round and round on filling out the DS 230 with SO, and about to hop a plane to China. :whistling:

If not;

233287[/snapback]

I haven't seen anything related to a bar code for the DS-230 before. With the DS-156 you can do this with a bar code by completing it online at DOS. The advantage to doing this is the information is in their system and the VO's only need to scan the bar code to retrieve it for a specific case.

The DS-230 can be done by hand, typed or using the fillable PDF. I would opt for anything other than handwritten myself as it leaves less room for mistakes in GZ.

If not;

233287[/snapback]

I haven't seen anything related to a bar code for the DS-230 before. With the DS-156 you can do this with a bar code by completing it online at DOS. The advantage to doing this is the information is in their system and the VO's only need to scan the bar code to retrieve it for a specific case.

The DS-230 can be done by hand, typed or using the fillable PDF. I would opt for anything other than handwritten myself as it leaves less room for mistakes in GZ.

233290[/snapback]

Thanks Lee.

Using the fillable form is what I want to do. SO is only using a copy that I filled to handwrite all of the info.

I am still digging through posts. There is some info back in Jan,2005, but it seems outdated to me. It says instruction clearly state use form sent, but this looks like it was for I-130.

If not;

233287[/snapback]

233290[/snapback]

Thanks Lee.

Using the fillable form is what I want to do. SO is only using a copy that I filled to handwrite all of the info.

I am still digging through posts. There is some info back in Jan,2005, but it seems outdated to me. It says instruction clearly state use form sent, but this looks like it was for I-130.

233293[/snapback]

GZ tells them to use the forms sent (which are outdated usually) but we have used the fillable forms for both of our cases and there was never a problem. Besides it's easier for them to read.

If not;

233287[/snapback]

233290[/snapback]

Thanks Lee.

233293[/snapback]

GZ tells them to use the forms sent (which are outdated usually) but we have used the fillable forms for both of our cases and there was never a problem. Besides it's easier for them to read.

233296[/snapback]

Done deal. This is what I am going to do. :)

I've seen in past topics on the subject, outdated to my liking, it is controversial. I would think the consulate would prefer this method due to the clarity.

Guest pushbrk
I have been going round and round on filling out the DS 230 with SO, and about to hop a plane to China. :)

If not;

233287[/snapback]

233290[/snapback]

Thanks Lee.

233293[/snapback]

My wife and step-daughter returned fillable forms without barcodes with their K3/4 P3. Interview is scheduled.

Guest pushbrk
DS-230 doesn't have barcode.

DS-156 has barcode.

233333[/snapback]

Eunice, I recieved DS230 from NVC last week and it didn't have a bar code. However, the additional letter that came with it had a bar code.

233336[/snapback]

CR1 is different situation.

The DS 156 having a barcode does raise a new question though. Can you use the downloaded DS 156 or do you need to hand fill the barcoded one?

DS-156 has barcode.

233333[/snapback]

Eunice, I recieved DS230 from NVC last week and it didn't have a bar code. However, the additional letter that came with it had a bar code.

233336[/snapback]

The DS 156 having a barcode does raise a new question though. Can you use the downloaded DS 156 or do you need to hand fill the barcoded one?

233341[/snapback]

That's what I want to know. Is it best to take a barcoded DS-156 to the interview? Does this save time waiting in line on the day of the interview?

DS-156 has barcode.

233333[/snapback]

233336[/snapback]

233341[/snapback]

Either one works and some of the hospitals have been known to refuse to accept the barcoded version.

There is nothing to indicate it speeds up anything, only that it improves the accuracy of the GZ data entry by removing the transcription of the information on the DS-156.