Things you do in China that you cannot do in US

One other thing is the swastika.  In China you will see it in ancient artifacts and lots of other decrative things, inlcuding clothing.  It just means the good luck never ends.  But to a jew, this may be interpreted as offensive, even though it existed at least 1700 years before WWII

235570[/snapback]

I think our african american citizens might find it a bit offensive too .. Doubt they will see it and think of good luck.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One other thing is the swastika.  In China you will see it in ancient artifacts and lots of other decrative things, inlcuding clothing.  It just means the good luck never ends.  But to a jew, this may be interpreted as offensive, even though it existed at least 1700 years before WWII

235570[/snapback]

I think our african american citizens might find it a bit offensive too .. Doubt they will see it and think of good luck.

235907[/snapback]

Ditto.

Another thing you need to remind him of, stray pets are not a food source.

One thing that I would like to add; not 100%

on topic.

In China, I can sit in a resturant and enjoy a

morning cup of coffee and a cigarette.

234875[/snapback]

Can still do that in Virginia too. Not like California where if you smoke within 50 feet of a building, sirens go off and men in white coats run out, stamp out your smoke, and give you a nicorette suppository.

Today I lit up while walking out of a restroom near Big Sur. A pretty guy said to his pretty girlfriend "Hold your breath." as they walked past me. "Fuck you!" just died in my throat, what would have been the point. I'm totally outnumbered by slack-jawed, estrogen poisoned, tofu and alfalfa sprout pudding sucking, enviro-fags here. Just take it with the territory I guess.

One thing that I would like to add; not 100%

on topic.

In China, I can sit in a resturant and enjoy a

morning cup of coffee and a cigarette.

234875[/snapback]

Can still do that in Virginia too. Not like California where if you smoke within 50 feet of a building, sirens go off and men in white coats run out, stamp out your smoke, and give you a nicorette suppository.

Today I lit up while walking out of a restroom near Big Sur. A pretty guy said to his pretty girlfriend "Hold your breath." as they walked past me. "Fuck you!" just died in my throat, what would have been the point. I'm totally outnumbered by slack-jawed, estrogen poisoned, tofu and alfalfa sprout pudding sucking, enviro-fags here. Just take it with the territory I guess.

236084[/snapback]

Piss up a rope or pound sand would have been appropriate, considering you are in California it could have been his boyfriend and he could have been a she!

Edited by papa bear (see edit history)
Guest pushbrk
Regardless, Dallas is 65% minority (isn't that now the Marjority??) so we'll have a talk.

234926[/snapback]

In the U.S. a minority means something other than white, and knowing where Dallas is my guess would be that a large portion of that 65% would be Mexican.

That does not detract from your need to address the issue with your SO, even if there is only one person of african decent I am sure you wouldn't want to offend them.

I tend to think all of us are more congenial outside of Twisted Candle, or is my thinking twisted. :wub:

235601[/snapback]

Much of the South and East sides of Dallas is populated by Blacks. While there are many Hispanics in the DFW area, Dallas proper is not their center of gravity. The suburbs between Dallas and Fort Worth are where the higher concentration of Hispanics reside.

Regardless, Dallas is 65% minority (isn't that now the Marjority??) so we'll have a talk.

234926[/snapback]

In the U.S. a minority means something other than white, and knowing where Dallas is my guess would be that a large portion of that 65% would be Mexican.

That does not detract from your need to address the issue with your SO, even if there is only one person of african decent I am sure you wouldn't want to offend them.

I tend to think all of us are more congenial outside of Twisted Candle, or is my thinking twisted. :)

235601[/snapback]

Much of the South and East sides of Dallas is populated by Blacks. While there are many Hispanics in the DFW area, Dallas proper is not their center of gravity. The suburbs between Dallas and Fort Worth are where the higher concentration of Hispanics reside.

236130[/snapback]

The mid-cities are predominately Hispanic?? Where did you get that data???? It differs from my living experiences of the last 40 years in this area.

Edited by Yuanyang (see edit history)
Guest pushbrk

234926[/snapback]

I tend to think all of us are more congenial outside of Twisted Candle, or is my thinking twisted. :D

235601[/snapback]

236130[/snapback]

The mid-cities are predominately Hispanic?? Where did you get that data???? It differs from my living experiences of the last 40 years in this area.

236240[/snapback]

I guess it was all those drives down Division in Arlington. :lol:

234926[/snapback]

I tend to think all of us are more congenial outside of Twisted Candle, or is my thinking twisted. :P

235601[/snapback]

236130[/snapback]

236240[/snapback]

I guess it was all those drives down Division in Arlington. :)

236266[/snapback]

:lol: Duh! No wonder! :D

Guest pushbrk

234926[/snapback]

I tend to think all of us are more congenial outside of Twisted Candle, or is my thinking twisted. :P

235601[/snapback]

236130[/snapback]

236240[/snapback]

236266[/snapback]

:lol: Duh! No wonder! :D

236269[/snapback]

Yes, but for the record I did not say the mid-cities were predominantly hispanic. I said there was a higher concentration of hispanics in the mid-cities than in Dallas. It's not the same thing.

234926[/snapback]

235601[/snapback]

236130[/snapback]

236240[/snapback]

236266[/snapback]

:) Duh! No wonder! :roller:

236269[/snapback]

Yes, but for the record I did not say the mid-cities were predominantly hispanic. I said there was a higher concentration of hispanics in the mid-cities than in Dallas. It's not the same thing.

236270[/snapback]

The highest concentration is in Dallas (West & Southwest). Only Grand Prarie might be 50% hispanic.

Guest pushbrk

234926[/snapback]

235601[/snapback]

236130[/snapback]

236240[/snapback]

236266[/snapback]

236269[/snapback]

236270[/snapback]

The highest concentration is in Dallas (West & Southwest). Only Grand Prarie might be 50% hispanic.

236272[/snapback]

Dallas is a big place. The city itself has a relatively small percentage of hispanic population, even though the sections you mention may have a high percentage.

I wasn't talking about sections of cities but rather whole cities. Yes, there are a high concentration of hispanics in the Southwestern quadrant of Dallas but that's a small portion/percentage of the City. North Dallas is HUGE.

234926[/snapback]

235601[/snapback]

236130[/snapback]

236240[/snapback]

236266[/snapback]

236269[/snapback]

236270[/snapback]

236272[/snapback]

Dallas is a big place. The city itself has a relatively small percentage of hispanic population, even though the sections you mention may have a high percentage.

I wasn't talking about sections of cities but rather whole cities. Yes, there are a high concentration of hispanics in the Southwestern quadrant of Dallas but that's a small portion/percentage of the City. North Dallas is HUGE.

236279[/snapback]

35% is not a small percentage to me.

Guest pushbrk

234926[/snapback]

235601[/snapback]

236130[/snapback]

236240[/snapback]

236266[/snapback]

236269[/snapback]

236270[/snapback]

236272[/snapback]

236279[/snapback]

236281[/snapback]

35% of what?

234926[/snapback]

235601[/snapback]

236130[/snapback]

236240[/snapback]

236266[/snapback]

236269[/snapback]

236270[/snapback]

236272[/snapback]

236279[/snapback]

236281[/snapback]

35% of what?

236282[/snapback]

35% of the city's population is Hispanic.

PS I was wrong earlier, whites' are 50%.

My question was more to provoke thought, I guess I should have been more specific and included Arab, Indian w/turban, Indian w/feathers, Chinese, Japanese, ect......, and why don't we ever seperate the white races, I am Irish but I am never referred to as being an Irish-American,

if we break down all the races which one would be the true minority.

Why is it that the only time we come together as Americans is durring a crisis like 9/11?