What to call my father-in-law?

I have read some on this topic, but this is a little different.

Guiping was raised by her aunt and uncle from a very young age. She considers them as her mother and father. I have no problem with calling them mother and father. Her aunt and uncle live here in the US and I see them often. My problem is: My father-in-law recently began working at the same company I do. I do not feel it is appropriate to call him "ba ba" at work and I do not feel comfortable calling him by his first name. I was brought up to address elders properly. I do not want to offend him by incorrectly addressing him. I have talked to Guiping about this and she feels I should just call him ba ba because little if anyone will know what it means. She has a point, but in my position I need to maintain professionalism. I might add he speaks very little English and even though he has been living here for 3 years still goes by the way things are done China. If you have any ideas please let me know. Bob

This seems to be a good case to fall back on the when in Rome rule. How do you address others of the same position in the company? I guess by first name since you mention you are not comfortable using this with him? I suggest you ask him what he wants to be called in the different settings directly, and not try and second guess what he may prefer. My guess (not following my own advice! lol) is that he would want to blend in at work as best he can and have you address him as you would others in the proffesional enviornment, but talk it over with him, he may be relieved of the same worries of how to address you !