Qinghai-Tibet Railway

On July 1 China opened the Qinghai-Tibet Railway with the first pair of passenger trains traveling across the "roof of the world".

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2006-07...tent_630898.htm

A few facts:

Extra oxygen is pumped into the cars to keep passengers from suffering altitude sickness.

It is the world's highest railway with 960 kilometers above 4,000 meters with the highest point being 5,072 meters.

The line holds a bunch of longest, highest records; Longest run on frozen ground, 550 kilometers, highest railway station, 5,068 meters,highest tunnel on frozen earth, 4,905 meters.

In other China rail news;

A new maglev line is being built between Shanghai and Hangzhou at a cost of 40 billion RMB. The 175 kilometer trip will take 30 minutes compared to the present 2 hours with conventional trains as the new trains will travel at up to 450 kilometers/hour.

High-speed lines are being built to connect Shanghai to Nanjing and Ningbo at speeds of 250 kilometers/hour and up to 350 kilometers/hour respectively.

And here in the US Amtrak goes through my little town going clickety-clack, clickety-clack... :)

Edited by rogerluli (see edit history)

We have watched a couple of programs about the construction of "The world's highest railway" and the human cost is not shown in the facts, figures and records. More than 300 workers bodies lie in a memorial graveyard at the side of the line. A mute testimony to the suffering and hardships endured in working under tremendously difficult conditions.

Love to exercise our brains?  No relaxation here.  Just conversions.

My wife wants to ride that train before she comes here.  I told her I wanna come too.  She thinks I can't handle it.

231183[/snapback]

I heard somewhere that for now, only Chinese citizens are allowed to make the trip... :roller: But some day I absolutely must go also... :sosad:

Love to exercise our brains?  No relaxation here.  Just conversions.

My wife wants to ride that train before she comes here.  I told her I wanna come too.  She thinks I can't handle it.

231183[/snapback]

I heard somewhere that for now, only Chinese citizens are allowed to make the trip... :clapping: But some day I absolutely must go also... :D

231262[/snapback]

Ah, an explanation. Now why didn't my wife just tell me this. :threeques: communication, misunderstanding of her motives, understanding, suspecions, Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiihhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Thanks Roger, really.

• 1 year later...

On July 1 China opened the Qinghai-Tibet Railway with the first pair of passenger trains traveling across the "roof of the world".

A few facts:

Extra oxygen is pumped into the cars to keep passengers from suffering altitude sickness.

It is the world's highest railway with 960 kilometers above 4,000 meters with the highest point being 5,072 meters.

The line holds a bunch of longest, highest records; Longest run on frozen ground, 550 kilometers, highest railway station, 5,068 meters,highest tunnel on frozen earth, 4,905 meters.

A new maglev line is being built between Shanghai and Hangzhou at a cost of 40 billion RMB. The 175 kilometer trip will take 30 minutes compared to the present 2 hours with conventional trains as the new trains will travel at up to 450 kilometers/hour.

High-speed lines are being built to connect Shanghai to Nanjing and Ningbo at speeds of 250 kilometers/hour and up to 350 kilometers/hour respectively.

And here in the US Amtrak goes through my little town going clickety-clack, clickety-clack... :)

Gads! I have passed through Roger's town????

As aye,

Jim

A few facts:

And here in the US Amtrak goes through my little town going clickety-clack, clickety-clack... :huh:

Gads! I have passed through Roger's town????

As aye,

Jim

And you didn't stop in for some CHEESE??? :(