Attending American Citizens Hour

Dear fellow CFLers,

As part of the recent wave of P4's I'm making my list of things to do and checking it twice.

My mom will be coming out to China to meet us in August and help us calm our nerves on the big interview day. I graduated from college just two years ago, and have been studying in China and working since then. This past year is my first year of employment, and therefore my folks are acting as our sponsor for the affidavit of support. I think having my mom as well as me in Guangzhou for the interview date will be one more testament of the legitimate and loving relationship that I have with my wife.

I have read many posts concerning attending the ACH on Fridays as a way to talk to the VOs and show the human side of each case. I was wanting to get some more feedback on how useful this is. Some have said that attending ACH is recorded in the file and the officer can see this during the interview. If this is so, and it is really helpful I think my mom and I might go down there to attend ACH. But if ACH is just a Q&A session...then I feel that CFL already has us prepared.

The only reason that I hestitate going is that my wife's interview is on a Tuesday. So that means staying in Guangzhou for nearly a week in total just to spend a few minutes talking with a visa officer. Ideally my wife and I would like to show my mom some more parts of China than just the Guangzhou area. But if going to ACH is what must be done, then it shall be done.

Any feedback from those who have gone before?

Thanks! And good luck to all those preparing for the upcoming interviews!

-Fred

Guest pushbrk
Dear fellow CFLers,

As part of the recent wave of P4's I'm making my list of things to do and checking it twice.

My mom will be coming out to China to meet us in August and help us calm our nerves on the big interview day. I graduated from college just two years ago, and have been studying in China and working since then. This past year is my first year of employment, and therefore my folks are acting as our sponsor for the affidavit of support. I think having my mom as well as me in Guangzhou for the interview date will be one more testament of the legitimate and loving relationship that I have with my wife.

I have read many posts concerning attending the ACH on Fridays as a way to talk to the VOs and show the human side of each case. I was wanting to get some more feedback on how useful this is. Some have said that attending ACH is recorded in the file and the officer can see this during the interview. If this is so, and it is really helpful I think my mom and I might go down there to attend ACH. But if ACH is just a Q&A session...then I feel that CFL already has us prepared.

The only reason that I hestitate going is that my wife's interview is on a Tuesday. So that means staying in Guangzhou for nearly a week in total just to spend a few minutes talking with a visa officer. Ideally my wife and I would like to show my mom some more parts of China than just the Guangzhou area. But if going to ACH is what must be done, then it shall be done.

Any feedback from those who have gone before?

Thanks! And good luck to all those preparing for the upcoming interviews!

-Fred

228185[/snapback]

It's all a judgement call. If you have documentation of living together in China, that's pretty compelling relationship proof. Unless your wife is getting her medical exam done in another location besides GUZ or earlier date, then a Tuesday interview will require you to be in GUZ the preceding Friday anyway.

ACH is not a must. I would look at it more like , if it fits into the schedule or you want to spend the weekend in GUZ anyway, then get there for friday.

I don't put much stock in going to ACH prior to the interview as having much impact; I do think it is something that should be done if a blue slip is issued and the USCs in GUZ.

As to Mikes comment about living in china.. you have to be careful about what they interpret as your 'home address'. What address did you put for yourself on forms? The 'domicile' issue is very important, but I will assume you simply are in china more as a long visit rather than having setup a home there.

Guest pushbrk
ACH is not a must.  I would look at it more like , if it fits into the schedule or you want to spend the weekend in GUZ anyway, then get there for friday.

I don't put much stock in going to ACH prior to the interview as having much impact; I do think it is something that should be done if a blue slip is issued and the USCs in GUZ.

As to Mikes comment about living in china.. you have to be careful about what they interpret as your 'home address'.  What address did you put for yourself on forms?  The 'domicile' issue is very important, but I will assume you simply are in china more as a long visit rather than having setup a home there.

228194[/snapback]

Yes, I concluded since this is not a DCF case, the petitioner's permanent address in in the US. Proof of living together in China would be things along the line of mail received by both parties at the same address in China, whether as student or employed.

Our interview was also on a Tuesday and I took the extra time to be there the previous Friday.

What you discuss at ACH is in the VO's computer file. He specifically mentioned it to my wife. I think if there are any problems with your case you are likely to find out about it at ACH; no proof, just my feeling. If you do find a problem on Friday there is plenty of time to prepare for Tuesday.

If it's at all possible I would go to ACH ... after all, this is your life we are talking about! B)

Edited by jim_julian (see edit history)
ACH is not a must.  I would look at it more like , if it fits into the schedule or you want to spend the weekend in GUZ anyway, then get there for friday.

As to Mikes comment about living in china.. you have to be careful about what they interpret as your 'home address'.  What address did you put for yourself on forms?  The 'domicile' issue is very important, but I will assume you simply are in china more as a long visit rather than having setup a home there.

228194[/snapback]

I think I will go to ACH after all, I figure it can't hurt. We will do the medical here in Shanghai though, just because both of us are totally unfamiliar with GUZ.

Regarding the domicile/residency issue, I think that I can prove that I live with my wife in China by showing my employment letter here, business cards, bank account, mail addressed to me here etc.

My case was not a DCF because the Shanghai consulate would not accept my application because I don't have the right visa. My company gives me 6-month multiple entry F visas. But I think for DCF you must have a 1-year visa.

Regarding the point of proof of petitioner's residency in the United States the P4 says "Proof can include lease / deed / mortgage / bank statements, utility bills, and copies of ID cards." - My permanent residence would still be my parents' home since I haven't yet bought a house. This is what I have been listing as my address on all of the paperwork. I still have a bank account in the US, and a US drivers' license. Is this enough to prove residency in the US? Does this in anyway conflict with proving that I also live in the China with my wife?

As to Mikes comment about living in china.. you have to be careful about what they interpret as your 'home address'.  What address did you put for yourself on forms?   The 'domicile' issue is very important, but I will assume you simply are in china more as a long visit rather than having setup a home there.

228194[/snapback]

I think I will go to ACH after all, I figure it can't hurt. We will do the medical here in Shanghai though, just because both of us are totally unfamiliar with GUZ.

Regarding the domicile/residency issue, I think that I can prove that I live with my wife in China by showing my employment letter here, business cards, bank account, mail addressed to me here etc.

My case was not a DCF because the Shanghai consulate would not accept my application because I don't have the right visa. My company gives me 6-month multiple entry F visas. But I think for DCF you must have a 1-year visa.

Regarding the point of proof of petitioner's residency in the United States the P4 says "Proof can include lease / deed / mortgage / bank statements, utility bills, and copies of ID cards." - My permanent residence would still be my parents' home since I haven't yet bought a house. This is what I have been listing as my address on all of the paperwork. I still have a bank account in the US, and a US drivers' license. Is this enough to prove residency in the US? Does this in anyway conflict with proving that I also live in the China with my wife?

228355[/snapback]

Your smart to do the medical in Shanghai.. You can consider to get the vaccinations also, unless your medical coverage (if you can get her covered quickly) will take care of it here... There are some Shanghai medical experiences in the P4 FAQs...

I was probably unclear with some of my previous comments...

You DON'T want to establish 'living' in china; Your passport stamps will establish your 'visits', however long... and I would leave it as visits...

You want to be prepared for any questions that having visited china for so long that you truly have US residence established... So I would have a few items pulled together just in case she needs it. I think copies of [recent] bank accounts and other bills are fine. A DL seems iffy to me.. you can have that DL a long time and not really be living at the address listed (I'm proof of that right now :wub: :wub: :rolleyes: ).

If you've been in China alot this year, is your income covering the guideline ok? That's one consideration of being in china, waiting with her.

At the ACH, you can ask case specific questions if you want. be careful of what you ask, since they will document the visit in the case. (ie: if you ask questions about your 'living' in china, they might find cause to question this in the interview).