what is your favorite food your SO cooks

ChunYan cooked up this dish the other night with chicken and some kind of vegetables that was incredible.

i asked her what it was she said chicken and vegetables. B)

it melted in my mouth....

she said this was a normal chicken dish that her mom cooks

i think there was a little curry in it..

i have requested dumplings for this evening (the ones you cook) B)

what are some other dishes your SO cooks..??

man i love chinese food :angry:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill...everytime my SO and I are on cam she is preparing her lunch. I see these wonderful dishes she makes and I salivate just wanting to taste them. She says that when she cooks, the food taste is just ok. I was told by her friends that she is an awesome cook. She says that is not true...haha. I can not wait to taste her cooking. Conversely, she wants me to cook western foods. Well, it certainly is going to be fun in our kitchen too!!

Edited by chef4u (see edit history)

Chinese Chicken dishes seem to be my SOs specialty. We both love to cook. A few weeks ago I bought some great NY Strips and Portabello Mushrooms and told her I was going to cook out for her the next evening. Well when I came home from work dinner was being prepared in the form of a stir fry from her with the NY Strips with Portabellos and all. Damn good Damned expensive stir fry. She also loves to salt her dishes as well. I am thinking about looking to buy some stock in Morton Salt Co.

Edited by Thomas Promise (see edit history)
Chinese Chicken dishes seem to be my SOs specialty. We both love to cook. A few weeks ago I bought some great NY Strips and Portabello Mushrooms and told her I was going to cook out for her the next evening. Well when I came home from work dinner was being prepared in the form of a stir fry from her with the NY Strips with Portabellos and all. Damn good Damned expensive stir fry. She also loves to salt her dishes as well. I am thinking about looking to buy some stock in Morton Salt Co.

228165[/snapback]

Thomas....now that is funny!!

I remember when I was in culinary school and we were learning Asian cookery. Our chef instructor was from Shanghai and she taught us a stir fry using top round. She said now we can open Chinese restaurant and charge $6.95 for this dish. However, she said change the meat to an expensive cut, such as, NY Strip or Filet Mignon and now you can open as an Asian Bistro. Now you charge $24.95. I have never forgotten that lesson. :P

228165[/snapback]

My SO specialty is COOKING! Well anything but Chinese fish dishes.

Damn all those bones.

Her being for Chongqing you don't taste the salt only the hot spices.

I've learn not to ask what im eating, as most the time her reply is "I don't know how to say English".... "im thinking thats Bull S" and later she would tell me,

Bobby....

Favorite food? That's a tough one, but just about anything Jingwen cooks is on my favorites list. I really like jiao zi, and Jingwen is an expert at making them with the thinnest of dough. Lately she's discovered some frozen ones at the Chinese market, also with a very thin shell. Still tastes good. Maybe it's the peanut oil. :P

228165[/snapback]

Thomas....now that is funny!!

I remember when I was in culinary school and we were learning Asian cookery. Our chef instructor was from Shanghai and she taught us a stir fry using top round. She said now we can open Chinese restaurant and charge $6.95 for this dish. However, she said change the meat to an expensive cut, such as, NY Strip or Filet Mignon and now you can open as an Asian Bistro. Now you charge $24.95. I have never forgotten that lesson. :P

228174[/snapback]

Yea Richard look at Italian Restaraunts. Spaghetti with Marinara sauce and Meatballs $7.95, Linguine with Aglio & Olio $12.95 ( Garlic and olive oil with Linguine) The Linguine dish is much cheaper to make. But wheres the romance in simple Spaghetti and Meatballs?

Sell the Sizzle not the Steak!

I knew that Leiqin's father had her cooking for the family when she was just 10 years old. What I didn't know until recently is that her father was a chef in Shainghai and he has taught Leiqin a variety of dishes. There are so many delicious meals that she will effortlessly whip up. Her use of Chinese sauces and different herbs are to die for.

My coworkers say I am spoiled when they smell and see my lunches that Leiqin packs for me everyday.

Here's one for you Chef:

She makes an egg jiao zi. She will vigorously whip eggs into a fine soup. She takes a metal ladle and lightly greases the inside of the ladle and will heat the ladle over a small flame, add the egg, make a thin crepe add the jiao zi meat, fold the egg over and have egg jiao zi...yummy!!

I knew that Leiqin's father had her cooking for the family when she was just 10 years old.  What I didn't know until recently is that her father was a chef in Shainghai and he has taught Leiqin a variety of dishes.  There are so many delicious meals that she will effortlessly whip up.  Her use of Chinese sauces and different herbs are to die for.

My coworkers say I am spoiled when they smell and see my lunches that Leiqin packs for me everyday.

Here's one for you Chef:

She makes an egg jiao zi.  She will vigorously whip eggs into a fine soup.  She takes a metal ladle and lightly greases the inside of the ladle and will heat the ladle over a small flame, add the egg, make a thin crepe add the jiao zi meat, fold the egg over and have egg jiao zi...yummy!!

228189[/snapback]

Dennis....What time can I come over? B) :P

Guest pushbrk
I knew that Leiqin's father had her cooking for the family when she was just 10 years old.  What I didn't know until recently is that her father was a chef in Shainghai and he has taught Leiqin a variety of dishes.  There are so many delicious meals that she will effortlessly whip up.  Her use of Chinese sauces and different herbs are to die for.

Here's one for you Chef:

She makes an egg jiao zi.  She will vigorously whip eggs into a fine soup.  She takes a metal ladle and lightly greases the inside of the ladle and will heat the ladle over a small flame, add the egg, make a thin crepe add the jiao zi meat, fold the egg over and have egg jiao zi...yummy!!

228189[/snapback]

228206[/snapback]

Cheffie, are you familiar with the Guangxi specialty that is a dumpling wrapped in some sort of leaf? I just love those.

I knew that Leiqin's father had her cooking for the family when she was just 10 years old.?What I didn't know until recently is that her father was a chef in Shainghai and he has taught Leiqin a variety of dishes.?There are so many delicious meals that she will effortlessly whip up.?Her use of Chinese sauces and different herbs are to die for.

Here's one for you Chef:

She makes an egg jiao zi.?She will vigorously whip eggs into a fine soup.?She takes a metal ladle and lightly greases the inside of the ladle and will heat the ladle over a small flame, add the egg, make a thin crepe add the jiao zi meat, fold the egg over and have egg jiao zi...yummy!!

228189[/snapback]

228206[/snapback]

Cheffie, are you familiar with the Guangxi specialty that is a dumpling wrapped in some sort of leaf? I just love those.

228209[/snapback]

Mike...the ones I enjoy are Sticky Rice in Banana Leaves, or Bok Choy Rolls, (these delicious wraps I make with either ground chicken or ground pork and rice combined with other fresh herbs and spices...mmmm. Maybe this is what you are fond of as well) and finally Grilled Pork and Rice in Lotus Leaves...let me know if you would like any of these recipes. I can not wait for my SO to get here to taste these. Maybe, she will show me the correct way to make these. :angry:

I'm a little surprised that a Chinese woman's specialty is chicken dishes.

They eat pork and fish and egg far more than they do beef and chicken. And since the cooking traditions assume dealing with old/tough beef and chicken, it usually involves slow cooking with lots of water/steam.

But yeah, Chinese cooking has centuries of tradition and sophistication in making all sorts of food taste good.

My SO also doesn't like white meat much. She says it doesn't have any flavor, and is dry to boot. She's got a point about the dryness...

Lao Po is another great cook. Being from Chongqing most things are quite spicy. She makes a variety of vegetarian, chicken, and pork soups. She does wonders with obscure Chinese veggies from 99 Ranch. Her hand made dumplings are to die for. Then there is an endless variety of stir fries centered around different cuts of pork.

I chip in also ... Thursday she was feeling a bit queasy after having two broken widsom teeth roots extracted and wanted something mild. I made some burritos stuffed with cubes of tofu and avacado with a little bit of Ranch dressing and shredded cheese. Nuke 'em until the cheese melts. Very mild, just what Lao Po needed. B)

I love just about everything Li cooks. I guess my most recent, however, is steak, cooked western style. She really does a great job with it. Lots of fresh garlic, tender, wonderful!

228264[/snapback]

One of my wife’s favorites foods that she prepares has got to be her dumplings, inside the wraps she add a combination of chestnuts, corn, cabbage, carrot, pork, ginger juice, and maybe a little Uncle Chen’s, first she steams them, then the next day she lightly fries them so I guess they go from dumplings to pot stickers? I will always tell her when she asks what kind of soup I would like I’ll tell her seaweed with pork ribs, ox tail or pig tail soup, the other night we had sea conch soup which was different. Coca Cola pork ribs have got to rank right near the top. She prepares quite a variety of vegetable dishes also. I feel very fortunate and appreciate her fine preparation of traditional Chinese food. We raise our own free-range chickens because she feels the chickens here have too much fat plus all the antibiotics they are given.