Cultural Differences

Well, the thing is that Jingwen is from Guangdong so the kid would be learning Guangdong-ese with a lot of slang thrown in, so the question of how clean of Chinese he would learn is not in force anyway.  If he stayed in Atlanta he would learn the tainted accent of English prevalent in that place.  The poor kid, he's going to talk like a redneck in two languages.

228344[/snapback]

I would disagree with the comment of tainted english. I have been here for 15 years and meet more people from places other than Atlanta than from Atlanta. Frank himself has no accent to my detection.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the thing is that Jingwen is from Guangdong so the kid would be learning Guangdong-ese with a lot of slang thrown in, so the question of how clean of Chinese he would learn is not in force anyway.  If he stayed in Atlanta he would learn the tainted accent of English prevalent in that place.  The poor kid, he's going to talk like a redneck in two languages.

228344[/snapback]

I would disagree with the comment of tainted english. I have been here for 15 years and meet more people from places other than Atlanta than from Atlanta. Frank himself has no accent to my detection.

229581[/snapback]

Ha, ha, man, I'm from Alabama and can do a perfect Gomer Pyle imitation when I want to. I was posting tongue-in-cheek. Yeeeeehaaaawwww.

BTW, Frank, like Mick I want to know how the discussion is coming along.

Well, I've reflected on this issue, and it's just not my style to put my foot down, even though I could. I told Jingwen that if she wanted to send David to China for a while, that would be fine with me. She was very happy to hear me say that. I then asked her when she wanted to do this, and she said maybe the best thing to do would be to wait until KK, the mother, has finished school and starts working, which I put at about two years out.

A lot can happen in two years. :roller:

Like I've said in previous posts, we have a rule in this household. I make all the big decisions, and Jingwen makes all the little decisions. So far, there have been no big decisions. :)

Thanks everyone for the insights and thoughts. All were very helpful.

Well, I've reflected on this issue, and it's just not my style to put my foot down, even though I could.  I told Jingwen that if she wanted to send David to China for a while, that would be fine with me.  She was very happy to hear me say that.  I then asked her when she wanted to do this, and she said maybe the best thing to do would be to wait until KK, the mother, has finished school and starts working, which I put at about two years out.

A lot can happen in two years. :greenblob:

Like I've said in previous posts, we have a rule in this household.  I make all the big decisions, and Jingwen makes all the little decisions.  So far, there have been no big decisions. :greenblob:

Thanks everyone for the insights and thoughts.  All were very helpful.

229869[/snapback]

Frank,

Yes, two years is a long time. Worry about it later. I am glad everything works out for now.