Hello All,

My wife and I are starting to fill out the DS-230 for when the P-3 arrives, and we hit a few questions:

1) On #20, it asks all places lived for at least six months. However, my wife has lived in a few places for less than six months. What do we put down? I worry that if I leave time periods blank, it will raise eyebrows and questions.

2) On #23, it asks to list all educational institutions. Do they want ALL educational institutions - like my wife's elementary schools and kindergarten?

I want to make sure everything is done right, and I really appreciate your time and help. Take care!

Guest ShaQuaNew
My wife and I are starting to fill out the DS-230 for when the P-3 arrives, and we hit a few questions:

1) On #20, it asks all places lived for at least six months. However, my wife has lived in a few places for less than six months. What do we put down? I worry that if I leave time periods blank, it will raise eyebrows and questions.

To answer the question honestly does not mean that omitting places lived less than six months is not truthful. Include the exact dates and time spans of places lived more than six months. The VO may or may not ask for a verbal explanation at the interview. Remember, it's their question not yours. Answer it honestly and completely.

2) On #23, it asks to list all educational institutions. Do they want ALL educational institutions - like my wife's elementary schools and kindergarten?

Yes. They want all. Because they leave very little space for this information, you may want to type the information on an attachment and refer to it in the question:

"See Attachment A"

The questions on the DS230 can be ambiguous at best. To answer your first question, your SO should try to get a police report from any city in which she lived for more than 6 months. This does not include pre-college, but does include college. Most cities keep these records central to their city as each Chinese person has a city book, but having a report from the other cities stating no criminal activity won't hurt. I think I also answered your second question in my first answer. The time period starts after high school.

Guest pushbrk
The questions on the DS230 can be ambiguous at best. To answer your first question, your SO should try to get a police report from any city in which she lived for more than 6 months. This does not include pre-college, but does include college. Most cities keep these records central to their city as each Chinese person has a city book,  but having a report from the other cities stating no criminal activity won't hurt. I think I also answered your second question in my first answer. The time period starts after high school.

225617[/snapback]

In China, only one police certificate that covers all of China is required. This is obtained from a police station in the Houkou. This has nothing to do with the DS 230. It is a separate requirement. The applicant is also required to provide such a certificate for any Country in which they resided more than one year since age 16.

Hello All,

I want to make sure everything is done right, and I really appreciate your time and help. Take care!

225615[/snapback]

On Question 1, it ask for City or Town and does not care if she has lived 100 places in that city. If she is like most she has only lived in one city since birth. This is used to identify where a police report would be required, but as mentioned before in China there is only one police report. Don't leave time gaps if possible.

For Education we listed elementary, middle and high school, then listed other schools.