Coming to America

Excuse me if this is a basic question I should already know the answer to...

Does my K-1 SO have to purchase round-trip tickets to come to the US?

According to the agent, the rules are that if it is a long-term visa, she doesn't need to, but if it is a short term visa, she does. But the paperwork doesn't say whether K-1 is long term or short term.

I assume that since we are going to get married, it automatically becomes long-term.

But I don't have the knowledge to know for sure, and don't know where to look.

Excuse me if this is a basic question I should already know the answer to...

Does my K-1 SO have to purchase round-trip tickets to come to the US?

According to the agent, the rules are that if it is a long-term visa, she doesn't need to, but if it is a short term visa, she does.  But the paperwork doesn't say whether K-1 is long term or short term.

I assume that since we are going to get married, it automatically becomes long-term.

But I don't have the knowledge to know for sure, and don't know where to look.

225393[/snapback]

I have no answer to your question, but I would like to know what "agent" was telling you this. Thanks, Greg

The KAL rep in Beijing.

My wife was K1. I bought her a one-way ticket. We got to the ticket counter when we were leaving China and they told her the rules of course, that all foreign travelers need a round trip ticket. Luckily, I was there. I told them, no she is immigrating to the US and will not be coming back to live. They said, no it is the rules. I stood my ground. They call over a supervisor and of course she tried to tell me the rules. Again, I stood my ground and said, "No. You do not understand. She is immigrating to America. Will you not be very unhappy when she does not use the second part of the round trip ticket?". She was confused at that point and called over the main supervisor for the day. He looked at the tickets, asked to see the packet, her passport and then asked me my name. He then confirmed my name was listed on her visa. His take, "I don't see any problem."

You do not have to buy her a round trip ticket, but not all agents will know this. Be prepared to stand your ground.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)
My wife was K1. I bought her a one-way ticket. We got to the ticket counter when we were leaving China and they told her the rules of course, that all foreign travelers need a round trip ticket. Luckily, I was there. I told them, no she is immigrating to the US and will not be coming back to live. They said, no it is the rules. I stood my ground. They call over a supervisor and of course she tried to tell me the rules. Again, I stood my ground and said, "No. You do not understand. She is immigrating to America. Will you not be very unhappy when she does not use the second part of the round trip ticket?". She was confused at that point and called over the main supervisor for the day. He looked at the tickets, asked to see the packet, her passport and then asked me my name. He then confirmed my name was listed on her visa. His take, "I don't see any problem."

You do not have to buy her a round trip ticket, but not all agents will know this. Be prepared to stand your ground.

225423[/snapback]

Thanks!

That's what I needed to be able to tell my SO so that she can stand her ground with the agent. It sounds like your experience is similar to mine at this point. Except that I'm not there.