Which line should a K1 or K3 holder take?

Does anyone know which line a K1 or K3 holder should take when she/he clears the immigration at an airport? US Citizen & Permanent Resident line or Visitor line? Can USC accompany the K1 or K3 holder to clear the immigration?

This is a question posted at 001.

Thanks...

Does anyone know which line a K1 or K3 holder should take when she/he clears the immigration at an airport? US Citizen & Permanent Resident line or Visitor line? Can USC accompany the K1 or K3 holder to clear the immigration?

This is a question posted at 001.

Thanks...

225177[/snapback]

Go to the visitor line and you can accompany the K1 or K3.

I asked about this upon my return to the US after being with my SO in Guangzhou.

The non-US Citizen merely has a visa, they are not a resident or citizen until everything clears immigration. The papers on the individual establish that right of entry, so the non-US Citizen must go through Visitor line.

The US Citizen may go through the US Citizen line (much quicker) and wait for their SO. But that seems somewhat selfish and unkind. I asked, and according to the official I asked, the US citizen certainly can accompany the SO through the Visitor line in the immigration process.

Thanks so much, guys!

So, my wife and I can take either USC&PR line or visitor line...

We are going to clear the Immigration and Customs at Chicago (O'Hare).

Anyone has experience at O'Hare?

225298[/snapback]

Yes. We came by O'Hare. There was no problem staying together and the line is on the far right if you were looking into the building. They did have a dog smell my oranges and took them of course. :surprise: Good luck.

Thanks so much, guys!

So, my wife and I can take either USC&PR line or visitor line...

We are going to clear the Immigration and Customs at Chicago (O'Hare).

Anyone has experience at O'Hare?

225298[/snapback]

I just came in through Ohare tonight and asked that question. The K1-K3 will go to the right side which does say visitor. The US citizen may accompany them too. If the visitor side is busy, they will often times be allowed to go to the US citizen/ Green card holder line which is on the left side. This is per the immigration officer I spoke to personally, who is the same person who actually stamps the entery visa at the POE.

As you walk down the hallway you will come to the US citizen/Gren card holder, and Visitor lines. The visitor line is the first line you could enter on the right side as you come out of the hallway. About 20 feet farther is the US citizen line. There is a white sign on a pole on the floor at the start of eachline. Also above the counters there are red LED signs that clearly say Visitor, and US citizen (you can't miss it).

There are 2 officers at the front of the line that will instruct you to go forward to the numbered line once you get to the front, as there are about 10 on each side. Walk to that line, and that immigration officer will wave you forward to him. Even if you had to do seperate lines, you are only about 20-100 feet apart. You could clear your side, then walk to the right and meet at the visitor counter where your SO would be.

The immigration officer I spoke to was very nice, and assured me that it is very common, and an easy procedure to be able to stay together, and not to worry. :cheering: