CNN.com Notes Visa Issues

CNN Notes Visa Issues

Well, it's nice that someone picked up on this... although the article hardly does justice to the fact that it's not just weddings on hold; it's entire lives on hold for years at a time.

I've emailed every columnist on CNN.com and Time.com.

I've also emailed my state senators and representatives.

I'm doing anything I can to draw attention to the fact that this bureaucratic snafu is hurting people as well as that it's ridiculous that, while I can reach out and contact anyone in the world in minutes, it still takes upwards of a year to process paperwork for a visa.

What are you doing to help?

Its funny how terrorists and Mexicans can get into the country and its like, oh well. But heaven forbid you try to bring one of those, evil, conspireing, out to destroy our country wives and fiances!. Just a bunch of balognie. Oh, and I say if an american man brings a woman over from china, and rapes his daughter, I say we just shoot the ass hole then and there. Prison is too good for a crime like that.

Its funny how terrorists and Mexicans can get into the country and its like, oh well. But heaven forbid you try to bring one of those, evil, conspireing, out to destroy our country wives and fiances!. Just a bunch of balognie. Oh, and I say if an american man brings a woman over from china, and rapes his daughter, I say we just shoot the ass hole then and there. Prison is too good for a crime like that.

224044[/snapback]

Get to the point and tell us how you really feel. LOL

Now we have to wait while Homelend security protects our SO's from us. Is there anything the government is not charged with sticking it's nose into? Here's the other shoe that is going to drop. All a vindictive EX has to do to screw up our lives is make an accusation of abuse, even after the divorce and we may not be able to make it past the new questions.

[They included amending the application form for so-called fiancee visas with two new questions: Whether the romance was arranged by an international marriage broker, and had the U.S. citizen ever been accused of a violent crime or convicted of three or more alcohol- or drug-related crimes.

This does not say convicted of a violent crime, only accused.

Edited by Rakkasan (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew

Unfortunately the US public and media does not have a favorable view of Americans that choose to marry someone from a foreign country. This stigma is carried by the media with phrases like; "Mail Order Brides" and "Marriage Brokers."

Seems the public is not much interested in the story about the guy who seeks a foreign bride, but they eat up the stories about the lonely, alcoholic, with a history of domestic violence and relationship issues. It sells more papers and gets more viewers.

Unfortunately the US public and media does not have a favorable view of Americans that choose to marry someone from a foreign country. This stigma is carried by the media with phrases like; "Mail Order Brides" and "Marriage Brokers."

Seems the public is not much interested in the story about the guy who seeks a foreign bride, but they eat up the stories about the lonely, alcoholic, with a history of domestic violence and relationship issues. It sells more papers and gets more viewers.

224059[/snapback]

I'd have to say I agree with you.

After living in China for 3years, where TV is censored as is the paper.

Although I was able to read on line most all newspapers from the states and even watch ABC and NBC evening news on TV the next morning.

I noticed how commercilized it had become. Bea my wife said only a few nights ago... geeez the news is so narrow,nothing about any place in the world except the USA. I have to agree, having that take on the daily world events from many different viewpoints,like we had in China was a realeye opener.

Now after being back in thew states for close to a year I don't notice as much the constant selling to I recieve, the narrow view points and selling ofnews and the daily paper is a record of gore and sensation...of course I could cough up the extra 75 cents a day and read the times.

But I guess just as I used to marvel at the fact that a country with 1.3 billion people and a huge manufactorer of shoes still made crap ones, you'd think they could make the best by now with all the experience! :greenblob:

It just says there is a market for crappy shoes and it seems one for crappy news in the states as well.

Mark

When people back in the States find out I'm marrying a Chinese, they immediately assume that it's a mail order bride arrangement.

They refuse to believe that we met under fairly honorable circumstances. My best friend from college is a Chinese girl whose parents immigrated to the States. When I was in Korea, she suggested I vacation in China and meet her family. I took the vacation and met her cousin. I liked her and moved here. We fell in love and the rest is history.

Of course, there's also a stigma against white men dating Asian women. My sophomore year of college I dated a Japanese girl (the first non-white girl I'd ever dated). I was immediately chastized for having 'yellow fever'.

I don't much care what others think about me, but they make jokes to me that are inappropriate and I can't help but feel protective of a girlfriend and the possibility that people will say inappropriate things to her. At one job (when I was engaged to the Filipina), my coworkers made inappropriate sex jokes to me (they were in their 30's and I was 20, she was 19).

Way too much frustration over what should be a simple issue. I love her, she loves me. My family approves, her family approves. I moved to China, dated her, proposed to her, and have hundreds of pictures of us over the course of the last 15 months being happy together. End of story.