News: Homeland Security paperwork delays weddings

Link to article on Yahoo News

----------------------------------------------------

Red tape is holding up wedding bells for an estimated 10,000 U.S. citizens waiting on the Homeland Security Department to design new paperwork so they can apply for visas for their foreign fiancees.

A new law, approved in January, required Homeland Security to retool visa application forms in an attempt to protect foreign mail-order brides from abusive American spouses. But the department, which oversees immigration services, failed to meet a March 6 deadline to produce the paperwork. And that has had unintended consequences — snarling the immigration process for thousands of other couples.

A Homeland Security spokesman estimated that at least 10,000 couples have had their plans jilted even before they got to the altar.

On Tuesday, the department said it would send out additional forms to the visa seekers for more information that should satisfy the new law's protections.

"Mine never got approved. It's just sitting there," said Bill Hall, 41, a construction foreman from Burlington, Vt. He applied two months ago for a visa for his fiancee, Debbie, to immigrate from Canada with her two sons. In separate interviews, the couple said they have been dating for six years.

Homeland Security acknowledges the bureaucratic delay is "certainly an inconvenience," said Chris Bentley, spokesman for the department's Citizen and Immigration Services.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Cody (see edit history)

Red tape is holding up wedding bells for an estimated 10,000 U.S. citizens waiting on the Homeland Security Department to design new paperwork so they can apply for visas for their foreign fiancees.

A new law, approved in January, required Homeland Security to retool visa application forms in an attempt to protect foreign mail-order brides from abusive American spouses. But the department, which oversees immigration services, failed to meet a March 6 deadline to produce the paperwork. And that has had unintended consequences ?snarling the immigration process for thousands of other couples.

A Homeland Security spokesman estimated that at least 10,000 couples have had their plans jilted even before they got to the altar.

On Tuesday, the department said it would send out additional forms to the visa seekers for more information that should satisfy the new law's protections.

"Mine never got approved. It's just sitting there," said Bill Hall, 41, a construction foreman from Burlington, Vt. He applied two months ago for a visa for his fiancee, Debbie, to immigrate from Canada with her two sons. In separate interviews, the couple said they have been dating for six years.

Homeland Security acknowledges the bureaucratic delay is "certainly an inconvenience," said Chris Bentley, spokesman for the department's Citizen and Immigration Services.

223891[/snapback]

This reflects what I posted before. An immigration lawyer I emailed about the IMBRA, wrote back to me and said "if it makes you feel any better (which it doesn't) this will apply to everyone."

A new law, approved in January, required Homeland Security to retool visa application forms in an attempt to protect foreign mail-order brides from abusive American spouses. But the department, which oversees immigration services, failed to meet a March 6 deadline to produce the paperwork. And that has had unintended consequences — snarling the immigration process for thousands of other couples.

223891[/snapback]

What an admission by Homeland Security! 10,000 couples have been "inconvenienced" when their entire lives have been put not just on hold, but into total uncertainty! How charitable of DHS ...

223891[/snapback]

What an admission by Homeland Security! 10,000 couples have been "inconvenienced" when their entire lives have been put not just on hold, but into total uncertainty! How charitable of DHS ...

223899[/snapback]

I wonder who this affects most....(who is most "inconvenienced?)

Is most of the holdup with newer applications pending approval from the service center, those in the NVC stage, or those pending the final interview?

223891[/snapback]

223899[/snapback]

I wonder who this affects most....(who is most "inconvenienced?)

Is most of the holdup with newer applications pending approval from the service center, those in the NVC stage, or those pending the final interview?

223908[/snapback]

Anyone with an NOA1 date of March 6 or later is currently affected by the hold.

Prior to late May all K-1's and it appears K-3's that arrived at NVC were on hold while the DOS waited for clarification on who was affected. They were released around May 23rd and many people saw their petitions shipped to GZ and entered into the computer in less than a week.

Nice to see you again Alex, how goes the battle?

This is a little off topic but it has the right church but wrong pew,

I made a post with a lot of levity in it about a month ago about Chinese Gals using a 3rd party for dating purposes where getting taken to the cleaners by these pirates. My SO was no exception to this scam. And how our Government would respond and handle the situation.

It may soon be no laughing matter about dating services. I have to agree with our Late President Ronald Regan when he said the most dangerous words are: Hello I am from the Government and I am here to help.

Can anyone imagine the field day the Womans Rights groups would have in the USA if this happened here on a daily basis. There would be all kinds of network media coverage, Gloria Steinham would have her own talk show on prime time. Some of the congressman would rally behind the exploited woman of these "services", there would be all kinds of government policies and regulations regarding this type of service, Whole Political Platforms would be formed, Pre Dating Service Counselors would thrive, before you would be married to some one you would have to fill out no less then 15 forms stating why you are getting married and that you did or did not use a dating service for this imporatant event of your life, after 90 days of the marriage you would have to file a AOM form (Adjustment of Marriage) along with more paper work and fees or the marriage could be annuled (Yum, Government workers just love paper work thats how they justify bleeding the tax payers and I almost forgot there would be all kinds of fees associated with this also on the Local and State levels). A marrige License that costs today between $20-$50 would ballon to a cost of a $1,000. Plus the stament under penalty of law up to $300 fine or five years in prison for private use or fraud. America! ya got to love it!