Possible BIG Red Flag

After getting Ex-husband to come to her town to notarize permission for son to immigrate to US, my SO tells me that her son has a completely different name, both first and last name. I was aware of the last name being different, but the first name is a complete surprise. It not only generates questions in my mind(Why?, I never heard of this), I think of how to overcome this with USCIS, DHS.

She will tell me if both names are on the certifcates later.

Edited by NewDay2006 (see edit history)

I spoke with her my SO this morning( I learned this in an email yesterday).. She explained to me why they changed the name and it makes perfect sense to me. As I said the father never had any involvement with the child and never gave any money towards his support after thier divorce when he was 3. It was actually my ladies father who insisted the name be changed because of this.

I understand the birth certificate will contain both name and it will be notarized. this should suffice to satisfy USCIS, DHS, etc....

Maybe she got real pissed at her ex husband, so she changed her name after the divorce, (green flag).

Not realising that the G-325A, and I-129F had to be so accurate, she just told you her name that she uses now, and you filled it out that way (you didn't ask, she thought it didn't matter (no red flag).

She is telling you later about the certificates because she is going to the notary to reflect the name change first (no red flag, she is doing it correctly now for you, she just didn't know).

Make an info pass appointment, and ask how to ammend the petition with the correct information now, (just adding the other names used).

I wasn't questioning her trying to hide it. I was just stating I didn't know until now. It always seems everything happens at the last minute when you don't expect it. I learned this in an email yesterday. I only spoke to her after I made the 1st post. I trust her and Yes!!,... she is a fine woman.

Maybe she got real pissed at her ex husband, so she changed her name after the divorce, (green flag).

Not realising that the G-325A, and I-129F had to be so accurate, she just told you her name that she uses now, and you filled it out that way (you didn't ask, she thought it didn't matter (no red flag).

She is telling you later about the certificates because she is going to the notary to reflect the name change first (no red flag, she is doing it correctly now for you, she just didn't know).

Make an info pass appointment, and ask how to ammend the petition with the correct information now, (just adding the other names used).

221962[/snapback]

Not her name, it was her son's name... first and last. I thought it was strange, but now when I see it was her father, it makes me laugh. He has provided support since the divorce mostly. I guess he got pissed and insisted the name be changed completely.

I don't understand a person who can turn thier back on thier child. She told me her ex and her son were in the same room during the "grave sweeper" holiday a moth or so back and it was like neither existed to the other. I just couldn't do it myself.

221962[/snapback]

No amendment needed, I have not met her yet. That is in 2 1/2 weeks :cheering:

I'm just a worry wort :cheering:

I won't forgive you for abandoning the Lakers though :cheering:

How could you Charles...  how could you.....

221972[/snapback]

Actually I'm a big man fan. I was a big Kareem fan so i was on the boat then. and when shaq came along, I was in Orlando, then LA, now Miami.

Yes, I'm a fair-weather basketball fan.... I used to watch basketball all the time, but no more, only during the playoffs now.... I'm really a true blue bad weather / good weather football fan. I'm a New York Giants fan forever.

Marriage Law of the People's Republic of China

Article 22 A child may take the surname of either the father or mother.

221980[/snapback]

Lee, it wasn't so much the surname, that I wouldn't think would be so difficult to explain. The first name was changed also, that is where my concern is.

221981[/snapback]

The Notarial document that links the two names as the same person as on the birth certificate and the different passport name should be enough. Be sure to list the alias on the paperwork for the child.

Hopefully the child is younger than 16 by enough that a name check is not required, otherwise this could slow you down a bit.

Marriage Law of the People's Republic of China

Article 22 A child may take the surname of either the father or mother.

221980[/snapback]

Lee, it wasn't so much the surname, that I wouldn't think would be so difficult to explain. The first name was changed also, that is where my concern is.

221981[/snapback]

The Notarial document that links the two names as the same person as on the birth certificate and the different passport name should be enough. Be sure to list the alias on the paperwork for the child.

Hopefully the child is younger than 16 by enough that a name check is not required, otherwise this could slow you down a bit.

221986[/snapback]

Thanks Lee, I will check into this when I can get a break at work. Good information. I hope it won't become an issue, that is him becoming 16 ... that is almost 2 years from now... but who knows what will happen in the future.