AOS and greencard time's

My SO and I are looking for the correct time to start applying for the K1 visa as I finish up my schooling. I have some questions concerning the greencard she would eventually recieve. I hear the green card is a temporary 2-year greencard. Is that easily renewed after two years? Do most people apply for citizenship after recieving this greencard?

depending on where you live, you will file a I-129F petition to the local USCIS... this will take about 8-10 months, if no issues arise.

After that, she'll come to the US and adjust her status form K1 to permanent resident (ie; get a greencard). There's another interview... The time to do this process varies also based on your living area and ranges from 3 months to 2 years.

As you close in on 2 years of greencard, you will file to "remove conditions" and then get a 10 year green card. This is something she will renew every 10 years, or can consider US citizenship.

If you state where you live, we can be more specific about the visa and adjustment time frames...

Welcome to CFL ! B)

Welcome to CFL. Just to add to David's comments, those of the CFL membership who have filed to remove the conditions on the green card have been successful, and the removal is sometimes done without another interview. I don't want to say it'll be easy, but it sounds like the success rate is very high.

After three years of legal permanent residency, an alien spouse can apply for US citizenship. Whether to do so is a personal choice.

You can go to the USCIS.gov website to see the time required for your local area. It depends on the area and can be over a year for certain areas. As to the greencard, you apply 90 days prior to the two years of the date of issuance of the initial greencard. As for citizenship, this would be a personal choice; however, I think it would be a fine goal for most people.

Hmm...we must be fast tracking.

AOS received April 10

Biometrics June 1

Interview scheduled July 25, 7:45am.

All for Denver.

So much for the work authorization form.

Strange, at the biometrics office my wife was processed by the "girl in training" so we were stuck there for a while and got to see lots of people go through. Saw a few europeans, a lot of asians...not a single latin/hispanic. The biometrics office was in the lower income area, lots of mexican markets there too...

AOS received April 10

Biometrics June 1

All for Denver.

Strange, at the biometrics office my wife was processed by the "girl in training" so we were stuck there for a while and got to see lots of people go through.  Saw a few europeans, a lot of asians...not a single latin/hispanic.  The biometrics office was in the lower income area, lots of mexican markets there too...

222500[/snapback]

That is quick! Our AOS, from filing to interview, took 19 months. B)

AOS received April 10

Biometrics June 1

All for Denver.

Strange, at the biometrics office my wife was processed by the "girl in training" so we were stuck there for a while and got to see lots of people go through.  Saw a few europeans, a lot of asians...not a single latin/hispanic.  The biometrics office was in the lower income area, lots of mexican markets there too...

222500[/snapback]

That is quick! Our AOS, from filing to interview, took 19 months. :eyebrow:

222674[/snapback]

Oh... really?

Only 6 months here... I guess I just need to claim down... :wub:

• 2 weeks later...
wish i could give a short timeline like some of these here..

225991[/snapback]

I was thinking the same thing Kim. We got married 8 days after Carl and still are waiting.

I gave up on the InfoPass. I recently wrote my Congressman. Not sure that will do any good, but who knows.

Take care