advices needed, thanks!

Hi, everyone

My wife and son are going back to China for the IR1/2 interview, since we just followed our I-130 instead of AOS. We are trying to prepare ourself as much as possible, but we still wonder if there would be something important missing, or the interview would be a little bit different because they are already here.

Anyone has experienced this before, having their wife gone back to take the interview? Any advices are very welcome!!!

If you have any details of the interview, please share with us, we would really appreciate it!

Thanks a lot!

Frank

I don't have any experience in this area, but you might consider taking some of the evidence that are asked for in the AOS interviews. Pictures of doing things together in the US, copies of bills and other correspondence where you are both jointly involved that demonstrate a life together.

How did your wife and son get into the states?  How come they have to go back to China for interview?  I assume the interview should take place in the states since they're already there.

221617[/snapback]

I think the SO and son came on K3 and they didn't do AOS here in States. Since they also applied for IR1 visa, their interviews are coming now in GZ.

Could the wife and son do AOS after getting into the states with K3/4? I think doing AOS and keeping I-130 will lead to the same end --- IR1 as long as the marriage is 2 years or longer. When I first applied for my SO, our marriage was under 2 years, so I did CR1 for him, but he still gets the IR1 now since our marriage is more than 2 years at his interview.

Guest pushbrk
Could the wife and son do AOS after getting into the states with K3/4?  I think doing AOS and keeping I-130 will lead to the same end --- IR1 as long as the marriage is 2 years or longer.  When I first applied for my SO, our marriage was under 2 years, so I did CR1 for him, but he still gets the IR1 now since our marriage is more than 2 years at his interview.

221621[/snapback]

They indicated they decide to follow the I-130 instead of filing AOS. Now they ask for assistance in preparing for IR1 interview in Guangzhou.

Could the wife and son do AOS after getting into the states with K3/4?  I think doing AOS and keeping I-130 will lead to the same end --- IR1 as long as the marriage is 2 years or longer.  When I first applied for my SO, our marriage was under 2 years, so I did CR1 for him, but he still gets the IR1 now since our marriage is more than 2 years at his interview.

221621[/snapback]

yes, they could.. and most do.

But there are many personal factors that are weighed to make a final decision... and I assume they have some which make going back to china a decision they prefer. (just as some file finacee vs spousal visa for various reasons).

By going back, they don't deal with the hassle of the I-485 petition filing.. waiting for biometrics... waiting for the local office to finally set an interview date (it could be 3 months to 2 years based on the local office). Going back on a second trip to the local office for an interview..

I've got no idea where they live, but he mentioned moving in another thread... and so maybe a trip back to china just makes more sense to them than dealing with moving and AOS issues...

I've pondered this myself...

We're K-3. Maybe we'll be done soon with it. The 130 is at the point where they are asking for the big check. That might put it 6-7 months from interview +/-.

Pros of letting the 130 go to GUZ

Streamlined process. no 485

864 and everything So took to the K-3 interview plus stateside photos

maybe quicker than AOS

Pros of going AOS

Trip to GUZ costs way more than a trip to the local office.

maybe quicker than CR-1 in GUZ with the slowdown and haiguan crap

For us, she doesn't want to spend the money to go back if the K-3 is approved. Spokane's center seems to be above average speed in processing.

Guest pushbrk

We're K-3.  Maybe we'll be done soon with it.  The 130 is at the point where they are asking for the big check.  That might put it 6-7 months from interview +/-.

Streamlined process.  no 485

maybe quicker than AOS

Pros of going AOS

For us, she doesn't want to spend the money to go back if the K-3 is approved.  Spokane's center seems to be above average speed in processing.

221873[/snapback]

I'm at the same stage of CR1 as you and would use Spokane as well. I'm just leaving my options open.

I'd sure be encouraged if you'd get your P4.

We're K-3.  Maybe we'll be done soon with it.  The 130 is at the point where they are asking for the big check.  That might put it 6-7 months from interview +/-.

Streamlined process.  no 485

maybe quicker than AOS

Pros of going AOS

For us, she doesn't want to spend the money to go back if the K-3 is approved.  Spokane's center seems to be above average speed in processing.

221873[/snapback]

merc.. in your case, your probably even too late to time it also so that the CR1 skips ahead on the 'time saved' by the K3 getting to the consulate first... Your due very soon for P4.. not sure why you had a delay between NVC and P3, seems you lost a month somehow...

I don't have any experience in this area, but you might consider taking some of the evidence that are asked for in the AOS interviews. Pictures of doing things together in the US, copies of bills and other correspondence where you are both jointly involved that demonstrate a life together.

221529[/snapback]

I think Lee makes a good point. Both the IR-1/2 interview and the AOS interview are aimed at conferring legal permanent resident status, so one would think that the proof of a valid relationship would be roughly the same. Personally, I would tend to treat them the same.

Having said that, it would also seem that the IR-1/2 interview shouldn't be much different than a CR-1/2 interview irrespective of whether the K-3/4 visas were previously issued. Several members have gone CR-1, and the interview doesn't seem any different than for a K visa. The difference in your case is that your wife and step son have already come to the US, so that you should have additional documentation (joint accounts, health insurance, etc.) that would validate the relationship. I would certainly bring this additional information. As the commercial says: "Don't leave home without it." :huh:

221529[/snapback]

I think Lee makes a good point. Both the IR-1/2 interview and the AOS interview are aimed at conferring legal permanent resident status, so one would think that the proof of a valid relationship would be roughly the same. Personally, I would tend to treat them the same.

Having said that, it would also seem that the IR-1/2 interview shouldn't be much different than a CR-1/2 interview irrespective of whether the K-3/4 visas were previously issued. Several members have gone CR-1, and the interview doesn't seem any different than for a K visa. The difference in your case is that your wife and step son have already come to the US, so that you should have additional documentation (joint accounts, health insurance, etc.) that would validate the relationship. I would certainly bring this additional information. As the commercial says: "Don't leave home without it." :cheering:

221957[/snapback]

Thanks a lot, guys. I surely will follow what you said. As th other Frank said, should treat it as a AOS interview to have additional evidence to prove the relationship. So now I know what more to prepare.

You have been so helpful. This big family gives everybody hope and support when we are weak. God bless everyone.

Frank