Wife and Daughter Got Blue Slips

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pushbrk
I also found out this morning that my wife didn't put my ex-wife's information on the Giv-24 under item 6. She said she didn't think it was necessary. :(?:(?So that is why they are asking about information on my ex-wife...I think.

217921[/snapback]

I could see where not listing your ex might suggest that your wife was unaware of the precious marriage, but the omission seems minor compared to the information requested.

217930[/snapback]

It does, but the omission may well be the reason the case fits a profile. The additional information requested is consistent with whatever that profile might be.

Intentionally leaving the information off the application is something a fraudster might do. The additional information is intended to satisfy the fraud concern.

Amicable divorces are easy and cheap. A contrived divorce between two US Citizens in order to profit from the divorced person's ability be paid to marry a foreign national and petition for a visa/green card is even easier. Evidently this is a common enough occurance to have recent divorces raise a big red flag.

How easy would it be for a Chinese couple find a willing US couple to mutually divorce, wife swap and arrange for the Chinese couple to re-unite in the USA? Not that difficult.

As we already know, ommissions and blank spaces are red flags.

The good news is that the overcome should be a piece of cake, provided they are given what they asked for.

Edited by pushbrk (see edit history)
I also found out this morning that my wife didn't put my ex-wife's information on the Giv-24 under item 6. She said she didn't think it was necessary. :(?:(?So that is why they are asking about information on my ex-wife...I think.

217921[/snapback]

I could see where not listing your ex might suggest that your wife was unaware of the precious marriage, but the omission seems minor compared to the information requested.

217930[/snapback]

It does, but the omission may well be the reason the case fits a profile. The additional information requested is consistent with whatever that profile might be.

Intentionally leaving the information off the application is something a fraudster might do. The additional information is intended to satisfy the fraud concern.

Amicable divorces are easy and cheap. A contrived divorce between two US Citizens in order to profit from the divorced person's ability be paid to marry a foreign national and petition for a visa/green card is even easier. Evidently this is a common enough occurance to have recent divorces raise a big red flag.

How easy would it be for a Chinese couple find a willing US couple to mutually divorce, wife swap and arrange for the Chinese couple to re-unite in the USA? Not that difficult.

As we already know, ommissions and blank spaces are red flags.

The good news is that the overcome should be a piece of cake, provided they are given what they asked for.

217935[/snapback]

mike,

I think your dramatizing it a little ... profile, fraudster, fraud concern, contrived divorce, red flags.

I wouldn't confuse honest document oversight with an intent to provide fraudulent info..

I don't want to argue about this, but let's just deal with what he has to provide instead of rationalizing any profile hit.. It was a documentation snafu. Hopefully the consulate see this and know it happens and there are able to recognize this quickly in this case once the proper materials are presented...

Guest pushbrk
Another thing about the statements I will be sending my wife for overcome evidence. The consulate is asking for statements. Should these statements be notarized? Or will that be overkill?

217932[/snapback]

Notarizing simply proves you signed the statement. It's cheap and easy. I would sure do it, required or not.

In my oppinion this should be a fairly easy overcome. All they are asking for is paper. In my case they wanted me to make a video speaking and writing Chinese. An impossible request but we were able to overcome anyway. I agree that it would be a very good idea to go to China to submit the overcome. That would speak volumes to the VO in terms of your commitment to the relationship. Take pains to very carefully give them exactly what they are asking for and in the wise words of our sage leader Don, "use a lot of mouthwash to get the taste out of your mouth while kissing their a$$." Put your emotions aside and focus on being rational. They have the power and anger will get you nowhere. Be assertive but not confrontational.

Good luck

In my oppinion this should be a fairly easy overcome.  All they are asking for is paper.  In my case they wanted me to make a video speaking and writing Chinese. An impossible request but we were able to overcome anyway.  I agree that it would be a very good idea to go to China to submit the overcome.  That would speak volumes to the VO in terms of your commitment to the relationship.  Take pains to very carefully give them exactly what they are asking for and in the wise words of our sage leader Don, "use a lot of mouthwash to get the taste out of your mouth while kissing their a$$."  Put your emotions aside and focus on being rational.  They have the power and anger will get you nowhere.  Be assertive but not confrontational.

Good luck

217942[/snapback]

Do they let the USC in for the overcome interview?

Guest ShaQuaNew

From the way you've explained your situation, it seems that everything is in order, but perhaps not properly communicated in the paperwork. Remember that VOs look at the same paperwork all day long, every day of the week. They look for certain trends, incomplete and missing fields, and contradictory information. Sometimes a VO will take the time to clear up a simple misunderstanding on the spot, other times, as in this case, may be tired and ready to go home.

Once you get a complete list of everything they need, compile it. There is no need to notarize documents that are NOT specifically required to be notarized. Get things in order for them at the overcome. Being organized will help you present with your best foot forward. I predict sucess at this overcome.....

In my oppinion this should be a fairly easy overcome.  All they are asking for is paper.  In my case they wanted me to make a video speaking and writing Chinese. An impossible request but we were able to overcome anyway.  I agree that it would be a very good idea to go to China to submit the overcome.  That would speak volumes to the VO in terms of your commitment to the relationship.   Take pains to very carefully give them exactly what they are asking for and in the wise words of our sage leader Don, "use a lot of mouthwash to get the taste out of your mouth while kissing their a$$."  Put your emotions aside and focus on being rational.  They have the power and anger will get you nowhere.  Be assertive but not confrontational.

Good luck

217942[/snapback]

Do they let the USC in for the overcome interview?

217944[/snapback]

Overcome is just a submitting of materials by appointment.. not an interview... The materials can even be dropped by an appointed attorney or rep, but not sure about the proper procedure for that...

Consulate, DOS, NVC

New Procedure for Additional Material Submission

http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/guangzho...new.html#addmat

Starting September 15, applicants asked to submit additional materials for their immigrant visa will need to schedule an appointment. Please call the U.S. Visa Information Center at 4008-872-333 within China or 86-21-3881-4611 from other countries, from 7 A.M. to 7 P.M. (Monday - Friday) and 8 A.M. to 5 P.M. (Saturday) for an appointment. Applicants must provide: names in Chinese characters and pin yin, case number, ID card number, passport number, phone number, and date of birth. There is a charge to access the Visa Information Center. Prices are 54 RMB for 12 minutes or 36 RMB for 8 minutes. The Visa Information Center charge may be paid at any CITIC Bank office or on the Internet at https://www.usavisainformation.com.cn/eng/index.aspx. Once the charge is paid, you will be given a PIN number that must be given to the Visa Information Center when you call to verify the payment. The U.S. Visa Information Call Center currently can assist callers in Mandarin, Cantonese, Taishanese, and English.

Examples of Steps to take:

1. You make an appointment with the consulate for submitting docs to overcome denial.

Your wife can buy a prepay card from her local Citic Bank, there are RMB54 or RMB36 cards available. They charge for making an appointment.

Prepare the following information before making a call:

1). Her passport number

2). her name, both in Chinese and pin yin, her birthdate and ID number which are on her passport

3). Her Case Number which begins with GUZ 200.....,

Visa category (CR1, I believe)

Date of denial

Then their call center will give her an Appointment Number and the date to submit docs

2. She will get the result in two days.

The result is possibly to be:

1). Ok, red slip, she can pick up her visa in two days

2). They want more docs or any stuff they can brainstorm

3). The case be returned to DHS

4). Depends on the VO

174505[/snapback]

I talked to my wife again this morning and she told me the following things about her ans her daughter's interview. Her interview was the last one of the day for this VO. As soon as he saw her passport, he asked a translator to come to help him. She told me the only questions he asked her was about her trips abroad.

After looking at my emails, he gave her the blue slip. So here we are. I have one question about what they are asking for. They want my ex-wife's address and her social security number. I haven't had any contact with her since 1995 other than mailing her copies of the divorce. And I sent those to her last known address. I don't know what her social security number is, and don't know of a way to find out. Any advice here?

217918[/snapback]

A few of ideas on the SSN, many people have this information in so many places:

Did you ever file a joint tax return? (tax forms or tax transcript)

Marriage License?

Divorce Paperwork?

Retirement account information (Beneficiary)

Joint Checking Account setup paperwork.

Mortgage or Credit Reports.

Hope this helps.

On the Giv-24, information about former marriages is listed under #4 (List all past/present marriages).

#6 requires info about your SO's family, not your's.

#7 requires info about your family, but not ex-spouses ("natural parents, brothers/sisters, adopted brothers/sisters and half/step brothers/sisters")

Did you list your ex-wife under section #4?

I'm particularly interested because my app is in the third month of administrative review at NVC and I'm wondering if they're wondering about my Russian ex-spouse and her whereabouts, something that's not asked for in section #4 (or anywhere else, for that matter).

Guest ShaQuaNew
I'm particularly interested because my app is in the third month of  administrative review at NVC and I'm wondering if they're wondering about my Russian ex-spouse and her whereabouts, something that's not asked for in section #4 (or anywhere else, for that matter).

217956[/snapback]

Yes. You can be sure that they are indeed wondering of her whereabouts. This could present a slight problem.... :(

I'm particularly interested because my app is in the third month of  administrative review at NVC and I'm wondering if they're wondering about my Russian ex-spouse and her whereabouts, something that's not asked for in section #4 (or anywhere else, for that matter).

217956[/snapback]

Yes. You can be sure that they are indeed wondering of her whereabouts. This could present a slight problem.... :(

217957[/snapback]

I guess I could forward them the email I got from her from Moscow a few months ago . . . if they ever get around to asking.

She seems to be back on her meds - sounded actually lucid.

Guest ShaQuaNew
I guess I could forward them the email I got from her from Moscow a few months ago . . . if they ever get around to asking.

She seems to be back on her meds - sounded actually lucid.

217959[/snapback]

Don't want to move this off topic, but...

I don't think that necessary until and unless you're requested to provide that information. I think it relatively certain that anyone who has previously married or applied to marry a foreign spouse will undergo additional scrutiny during the background / namecheck process. This may be what's happening in your case now.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)
Guest pushbrk
I talked to my wife again this morning and she told me the following things about her ans her daughter's interview. Her interview was the last one of the day for this VO. As soon as he saw her passport, he asked a translator to come to help him. She told me the only questions he asked her was about her trips abroad.

After looking at my emails, he gave her the blue slip. So here we are. I have one question about what they are asking for. They want my ex-wife's address and her social security number. I haven't had any contact with her since 1995 other than mailing her copies of the divorce. And I sent those to her last known address. I don't know what her social security number is, and don't know of a way to find out. Any advice here?

217918[/snapback]

A few of ideas on the SSN, many people have this information in so many places:

Did you ever file a joint tax return? (tax forms or tax transcript)

Marriage License?

Divorce Paperwork?

Retirement account information (Beneficiary)

Joint Checking Account setup paperwork.

Mortgage or Credit Reports.

Hope this helps.

217948[/snapback]

I haven't had contact with my X since 1989 but I could manage to contact a relative or two, who could most likely track her down.

However, in the event of failure, I would simply write a brief and to the point notarized statement indicating what you've said above. You haven't seen her since (date) and the divorce papers were mailed to her last known address.

On the Giv-24, information about former marriages is listed under #4 (List all past/present marriages).

#6 requires info about your SO's family, not your's.

#7 requires info about your family, but not ex-spouses ("natural parents, brothers/sisters, adopted brothers/sisters and half/step brothers/sisters")

Did you list your ex-wife under section #4?

217956[/snapback]

I think Question #6 applies to this situation. Remembering that the GIV-24 is for the SO and should be read from her/his perspective, the questions says if the alien's spouse had more than one marriage (or concubine :rolleyes: ), to include that information.