Other countries visa process

Hello all,

Lucy and I just finished talking to her long time friend, Julie, from Nanning. I have met Julie (Her Chinese name, Liao) and consider her as my "sister". She even communicated with a few of my single friends including my brother but they weren't committed enough to follow through.

Julie has been in Sweden for the past two weeks with a gentleman she met through the internet. I just spoke with him on the telephone and he is fluent in English and Swedish. He was telling me briefly of the Swedish immigration policy as we were comparing timelines. Surprisingly, the wait times are very similar and the process is a bit more involved.

The points we covered was that Julie is allowed to visit Sweden for 60 days on a tourist visa. This is similar to an American visiting China in my opinion. During this time period, her fiancee is beginning the immigration petition process to Sweden but the application will not be processed while she is present in Sweden. He mentioned that he travels to the United States quite often on business and as soon as Julie is approved for her Swedish visa, she can get a international passport (?) for travel to the USA. The visa process is close to 6-9 months, he said, from start to finish.

Julie and Lucy were making plans for a "get together" but I wanted to get the facts from anyone who may know specifics of this "International passport" It just seems too good to be true to circumvent the USA visa process. I have heard stories of persons going to Canada and then coming to the USA on Canadian passports.

Mats explained to me that he doesn't intend to immigrate to the USA but can stay here for extended periods of time. I'm wondering if he has diplimatic connections in his work. I'll ask him the next time I talk to him.

I thought this would be an interesting topic.

Sounds fishy to me. In China a domestic passport is one used to visit sensitive areas. Other than countries like China and The Ukrain that have domestic pp, I would think all passports are international. It is pretty clear that the US does not issue them.

Maybe she can become a citizen faster there and gets a reqular pp.

Guest pushbrk
Sounds fishy to me. In China a domestic passport is one used to visit sensitive areas. Other than countries like China and The Ukrain that have domestic pp, I would think all passports are international. It is pretty clear that the US does not issue them.

217325[/snapback]

It could be lost in translation. A Chinese citizen with a US green card has more freedom to travel than a Chinese citizen without one. Perhaps the Swedes do somthing similar. Could she travel to the US from Sweden with a Swedish green card like our Chinese wives can travel to Canada and some other Countries?

China Passes Passport Law

China's top legislature on Saturday passed the country's first passport law, aiming to standardize application, issue and management of passports.

The law, to go into effect on January 1st 2007, will replace a regulation governing passport management that has been in place for nearly two decades.

An increasing number of Chinese have gone abroad for study, business or travel as the country is opening wider to the outside world, but the existing regulation on passport application has no longer adapted to the changing situation, said an official with the Legislative Office under the National People's Congress, the top legislature.

Official statistics show that China issued more than 4.8 million passports in 2004, 200 times the figure in 1978.

According to the law, China's passports are divided into three categories -- regular passport, diplomatic passport, and service passport.

The law bans fabrication, transfer, damage, or illegal holding of passports, while providing penalties for people who assist in passport frauds.

217325[/snapback]

It could be lost in translation. A Chinese citizen with a US green card has more freedom to travel than a Chinese citizen without one. Perhaps the Swedes do somthing similar. Could she travel to the US from Sweden with a Swedish green card like our Chinese wives can travel to Canada and some other Countries?

217334[/snapback]

That is my guess... Her and Mats still have the process of her immigrating to Sweden. I know he has a very good job and travels extensively worldwide.

I am curious on how difficult it is to get visas in other countries.