What's your favorite thing about China

I already missed China, but reading this thread just makes it worse. Thanks guys :)

Hehe just playing.. well, sort of. I'm actually working on a plan to go back for a few more weeks soon, I just can't wait until the interview. Well, at least a few weeks, we'll see :D :D

Another thing I really miss is the stores. Does anyone else think that an american supermarket just plain sucks when one has experienced the 10 story china supers????

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing I really miss is the stores.  Does anyone else think that an american supermarket just plain sucks when one has experienced the 10 story china supers????

217090[/snapback]

Quite the opposite......I miss being able to go out her door, walk no more than 100 yards, and find many little stores/vendors where one can buy live fish and several fresh vegetables for just a few RMB.

After seeing the prices of veggies in the US and the lack of live fish, she misses it even more !

Edited by ameriken (see edit history)

dont get me wrong the butts are nice...

but i think its the general attitude of the service given wherever you go, the people genuinely care about what they do and the job they do for you. the care given to you that they want you to be satisfied for the most oart does not exist in the states.

dont get me wrong the butts are nice...

but i think its the general attitude of the service given wherever you go, the people genuinely care about what they do and the job they do for you. the care given to you that they want you to be satisfied for the most oart does not exist in the states.

217227[/snapback]

You like the service the most?

You must not have been to Shanghai.

Their attitudes sucked.

You would feel like you are a bother to them!

Shanghai made me appreciate service in the US !

Guest ShaQuaNew

Their attitudes sucked.

217599[/snapback]

Ken, I couldn't disagree with you more on this one, though I've not been to Shanghai, I've been all over southern China. I always found the service warm, caring, and even fun.

When in the US, there is no longer such a thing as Customer Service. That's why I now use the phrase CUSTOMER NO SERVICE when in the US.... ;)

I've been all over southern China. I always found the service warm, caring, and even fun.

217600[/snapback]

...if not a little intruding. I really don't need a sale person following me around like a lost puppy when I'm in a store. Don't they understand that American men don't shop? They buy and get the hell outta there (unless it's a Home Depot or Lowes). ;)

Guest ShaQuaNew
I've been all over southern China. I always found the service warm, caring, and even fun.

217600[/snapback]

...if not a little intruding. I really don't need a sale person following me around like a lost puppy when I'm in a store. Don't they understand that American men don't shop? They buy and get the hell outta there (unless it's a Home Depot or Lowes). ;)

217609[/snapback]

Yes, indeed there is that component too. All shopping areas noticed that I was Lao Wai, and immediately pounced with, "hey mister, come looking looking at my store. Good bargain for you."

Their attitudes sucked.

217599[/snapback]

Ken, I couldn't disagree with you more on this one, though I've not been to Shanghai, I've been all over southern China. I always found the service warm, caring, and even fun.

When in the US, there is no longer such a thing as Customer Service. That's why I now use the phrase CUSTOMER NO SERVICE when in the US.... :pilot:

217600[/snapback]

Then it must be the mentality of Shanghai. When we went to Hangzhou, about a 2 hour bus ride from Shanghai, the customer service was warmer and friendlier, a noticable difference even to Jie.

I will also say that one exception to the Shanghai cold, would be some of the Starbucks. There is one particular Starbucks that is our favorite, it is on the bank of the Pudong river with an excellent view. Everytime we would step foot in it, there would be 3 or 4 Chinese girls who would always, in unison, say "Ni Hao, Welcome, How are you?"

Otherwise, pretty much the rest of the service in Shanghai took to the big city 'cold' mentality.

Guest ShaQuaNew
Then it must be the mentality of Shanghai. When we went to Hangzhou, about a 2 hour bus ride from Shanghai, the customer service was warmer and friendlier, a noticable difference even to Jie.

217614[/snapback]

Well, granted, as with any big city, you will catch people on good and bad days. The one thing I noticed in the bigger city restaurants are the greeters both in and outdoors trying to lure you inside to eat. After being seated, you would be welcomed by three or four service people setting up your table. Again, this varies from restaurant to restaurant, but you'd be hard pressed to find that kind of service anywhere in the US, unless you want to pay super big bucks for dinner.

Grocery stores, Wal-Mart, Drug Stores were all over-staffed by US standards. I noticed many stores had at least one or two staff members per isle to help customers find products. While long lines are the norm in China, you rarely see checkout lanes closed in the face of them.

217614[/snapback]

Well, granted, as with any big city, you will catch people on good and bad days. The one thing I noticed in the bigger city restaurants are the greeters both in and outdoors trying to lure you inside to eat. After being seated, you would be welcomed by three or four service people setting up your table. Again, this varies from restaurant to restaurant, but you'd be hard pressed to find that kind of service anywhere in the US, unless you want to pay super big bucks for dinner.

Grocery stores, Wal-Mart, Drug Stores were all over-staffed by US standards. I noticed many stores had at least one or two staff members per isle to help customers find products. While long lines are the norm in China, you rarely see checkout lanes closed in the face of them.

217618[/snapback]

Jesse, I can agree with what you say for China, in general.

However, I did specify Shanghai.

Spend a couple weeks there, and you will see what I mean, as a general view.

Otherwise, quite arguing with me before I have you deleted ! :pilot:

Edited by ameriken (see edit history)

I love the women of course. But all of the people treated me so nice. When attempted to speak chinese, they always enjoyed it and said I spoke well.

The food was great and cheap. And I just liked to soak in the part that this was probably the oldest civilization in the world still thriving.... and the women ... did I say that already?? :rolleyes:

Edited by NewDay2006 (see edit history)

My first year in China, we lived in Hefei, which is the capital city of Anhui Province. In many ways, I liked Hefei and look forward to going back there for a visit.

When you walk a block of any of the main streets, there are mazes of small alley ways, loaded with little shops that sell all kinds of stuff at very low prices. In fact, shortly after Li and I met, one of our first dates consisted of a great meal, then her helping me buy a coat for the winter, as the weather was already beginning to cool off. I remember standing outside an outdoor stall in the sleet and snow while Li bargained endlessly buying me a jacket. In the end, she got it at a great price.

It's these kind of little adventures that I miss. I love the small streets off the beaten path and the interesting sites, sounds and smell. I miss it.

I miss riding on the bike or on the bus and having someone look up and see me ("O my gosh, it's an American! YIKES").

I also miss my mother and father-in-law in Nanjing - a guess it's just plain old homesickmess! But. next summer, we are going to Nanjing - YAY!!!

:D