"my friend told me,if we will marriage at china,u must bring the certificate(marital status) from chinese embassy of N.Y."

this is what was told to my fiancee. i have no idea what it means.

we plan to marry in her hometown in china. what papers do i need, divorce(copies) papers etc. what steps will i take when i get there or before? thanks everybody

"my friend told me,if we will marriage at china,u must bring the certificate(marital status) from chinese embassy of N.Y."

this is what was told to my fiancee. i have no idea what it means.

we plan to marry in her hometown in china. what papers do i need, divorce(copies) papers etc. what steps will i take when i get there or before? thanks everybody

215539[/snapback]

I guess what your friend means is "certification of marriageability"

There is 2 ways to get it.

1. The way you get it from america, that is the way your friend said which need go to chinese consulate.

It is named as ''Notary Certificate of Single Status''

How to apply:

An Affidavit of Single Statussigned before a notary public.

Certified by the clerk of Court of the County in which the document is commissioned if applicable. It may be omitted if the authority in item 3 will certify directly to the notary.

Certified by the Secretary of the State in which the document is executed.

Certified by the relevant Consulate - General. You must apply to the correct Consulate - Generalwhich holds consular jurisdiction over your area of residence.

details here:

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/fhjh/t84256.htm

2. The way you get it from american emberssy or consulate in China--the easy way and save time way

Go to the emberssy at their work time, show them your passport, divorced paper, pay 30 us$, fill in a form, it will comeout in both languages, don't need go to translation company to translate,save time and money.The emberssy or consulateS in Beijing, Shanghai, Shenyang, Chengdu, Guangzhou.

Here are some CFLers' experiences and mine too, for your reference.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...topic=15445&hl=

Actually, I went the second route in Beijing. I only received cert. in English. I had to have a translation prepared in town we got out marriage books. It took about 30 minutes at the embassy. I seem to think about $30 US. Then the translation took about 20 min. and about $13US....Good Luck :)

Actually, I went the second route in Beijing.  I only received cert. in English.  I had to have a translation prepared in town we got out marriage books. 

215776[/snapback]

What we got from Beijing embassy is a paper in both languages, the first half of the papaer is in English, the 2nd half in Chinese. It was in July 2005.

The difference might be on where you filed for the marriage. My wife is from Henan Province. I can never remember the spelling of the capital city. Zhengzhou? Zhengzhou? :) Anyhow, I can see where the same form from a given consulate, or embassy, might need additional documentation.

From what I've read over the last year here. It seems to be easier, if you have a day or two, to obtain the cert in China. We made a good sight seeing trip around Beijing while accomplishing this task. For about $30 us, and 40 minutes .

Life's an adventure, if you want it to be :wub: