Marriage Brokers

Guest Tony n Terrific

I met my SO on China Love Links also. We did not use a marriage broker or a translating service. All our correspondence is one on one. This would not be a Marriage broker as such. We contacted each other by are own free will. Do I have to deal with this violation of my Constitutional rights of freedom of choice?

I met my SO on China Love Links also. We did not use a marriage broker or a translating service. All our correspondence is one on one. This would not be a Marriage broker as such. We contacted each other by are own free will. Do I have to deal with this violation of my Constitutional rights of freedom of choice?

It's really not that big a deal. Just a little extra paperwork. It's more for the protection of the women than anything else. I think that's a good thing.

How is anyone violating your freedom of choice?

If you mean "chineselovelinks.com", then it isn't a marriage broker, just your standard "match.com" type of dating site that allows people to contact each other for many purposes, not just marriage. You shouldn't have to do anything.

Edited by Jeikun (see edit history)

If you mean "chineselovelinks.com", then it isn't a marriage broker, just your standard "match.com" type of dating site that allows people to contact each other for many purposes, not just marriage. You shouldn't have to do anything.

I used chinesekisses.com . I found out that on the very basic definition provided in the I-129F form, they could qualify, because my Fiance in China did not have to pay to join, but I did ( $29 USD ).

The way it reads, any introduction organization is a marriage broker unless a few things apply and this is the only exception that addresses a normal dating site listed is below after general language which includes match making organizations as marriage brokers:

Introduction entities ARE marriage brokers EXCEPT:

Entities that provide dating services if their principal business is not to provide international dating services between United States citizens or United States residents and foreign nationals and charge comparable rates and offers comparable services to all individuals it serves regardless of the individual's gender or country of citizenship.

I found out that my Fiancee did not have to pay on her side, although I believe the site facilitates as many or more Chinese to Chinese matches as it does to US citizens, but I am asking them about that - Still the "and" ties these two together - the fact that there was no charge to the asian woman but there was to me, appears not "comparable rates", although I would argue that $29USD is like free to a US citizen and thus is comparable.

Still, what is written there on the I-129F Instruction doc is clear. The way people describe it in effect is different and not clear. This is quite like the 55mph speed limit. Nobody in their right mind abides by it - we are all guilty and the police can single out anybody they want this way .

It is a tragedy and an abuse of power.

I used chinesekisses.com . I found out that on the very basic definition provided in the I-129F form, they could qualify, because my Fiance in China did not have to pay to join, but I did ( $29 USD ).

The way it reads, any introduction organization is a marriage broker unless a few things apply and this is the only exception that addresses a normal dating site listed is below after general language which includes match making organizations as marriage brokers:

Introduction entities ARE marriage brokers EXCEPT:

Entities that provide dating services if their principal business is not to provide international dating services between United States citizens or United States residents and foreign nationals and charge comparable rates and offers comparable services to all individuals it serves regardless of the individual's gender or country of citizenship.

I found out that my Fiancee did not have to pay on her side, although I believe the site facilitates as many or more Chinese to Chinese matches as it does to US citizens, but I am asking them about that - Still the "and" ties these two together - the fact that there was no charge to the asian woman but there was to me, appears not "comparable rates", although I would argue that $29USD is like free to a US citizen and thus is comparable.

Still, what is written there on the I-129F Instruction doc is clear. The way people describe it in effect is different and not clear. This is quite like the 55mph speed limit. Nobody in their right mind abides by it - we are all guilty and the police can single out anybody they want this way .

It is a tragedy and an abuse of power.

Yes - but your response to the "Did you use an IMB question has always been met with a "Gee, that's nice!"-type response. That is, there has never been any follow through that we are aware of.

Note that there are several obligations that an IMB "must" follow - but the DOS has no jurisdiction over these websites. Note also that there are no guidelines anywhere - beyond the language in the law itself - as to exactly which websites are IMB's and which are not.

There has been much discussion about the issue - nothing definitive. If you ask the website, they're likely to refer you to DOS, which has no guidelines.

I advise to answer "No", unless you know for certain that you have used an IMB. AND to disclose any criminal background which falls under the IMB guidelines in your original application. They will most likely simply pass it along to the beneficiary.