KI Visa Interview - Urgent questions

I will gladly appreciate your timely response to my concerns below. I'm scheduled for K1 interview on the next week. I can't wait to read your postings to my concerns. Thanks for your help.

1. Document/form "letter to K1/K2 applicant" reads ''if you were married previously, obtain one Notarial Mariage Certificate and Divorce/Death Certificates to prove dissolution of the marraige".

As a divorcee, I only have my divorce certificate. My ex-husband has our marriage certificate and I have no idea where he is. We've not communicating. In this case, what do I do?

2. Do I need to notarize my police certificates if I'm ready to part with the originals?

Welcome to Candle For Love. You've zeroed in on two questions for which there seem to be no concrete answers, but I'll share my experience, albeit old, with you.

Marriage/Divorce Certificate - K-1. Some folks believe you need to supply both for the K-1. Others believe you don't need to supply the notarial marriage certificate, just the notarial divorce certificate. Jingwen's notarial document dealt with both. It said she registered a marriage on such and such a date and was mediated a divorce on such and such a date. She supplied no separate marriage certificate and was still issued a visa.

Police Certificates. Again, some folks believe that an original police certificate in Chinese is sufficient. Most others, however, believe that a notarial police certificate, with certified English translation, is required. My suggestion is to go to the local notarial office and get a notarial police certificate and have it translated into English.

Remember also that the US consulate has a strong preference for notarial documents. If there's enough time, I would certainly try to obtain notarial documents with a certified English translation for both the marriage/divorce and police clearance.

Others who have been through the process more recently may have some additional thoughts on the required documents and the need for certified translations.

Good luck.

Welcome to Candle For Love.  You've zeroed in on two questions for which there seem to be no concrete answers, but I'll share my experience, albeit old, with you.

Marriage/Divorce Certificate - K-1.  Some folks believe you need to supply both for the K-1.  Others believe you don't need to supply the notarial marriage certificate, just the notarial divorce certificate.  Jingwen's notarial document dealt with both.  It said she registered a marriage on such and such a date and was mediated a divorce on such and such a date.  She supplied no separate marriage certificate and was still issued a visa.

Police Certificates.  Again, some folks believe that an original police certificate in Chinese is sufficient.  Most others, however, believe that a notarial police certificate, with certified English translation, is required.  My suggestion is to go to the local notarial office and get a notarial police certificate and have it translated into English.

Remember also that the US consulate has a strong preference for notarial documents.  If there's enough time, I would certainly try to obtain notarial documents with a certified English translation for both the marriage/divorce and police clearance.

Others who have been through the process more recently may have some additional thoughts on the required documents and the need for certified translations.

Good luck.

214318[/snapback]

Thanks for your response Frank1538.

I'd appreciate more input from all.

Guest pushbrk
I will gladly appreciate your timely response to my concerns below. I'm scheduled for K1 interview on the next week. I can't wait to read  your postings to my concerns. Thanks for your help.

1. Document/form "letter to K1/K2 applicant" reads ''if you were married previously, obtain one Notarial Mariage Certificate and Divorce/Death Certificates to prove dissolution of the marraige".

As a divorcee, I only have my divorce certificate. My ex-husband has our marriage certificate and I have no idea where he is. We've not communicating. In this case, what do I do?

2. Do I need to notarize my police certificates if I'm ready to part with the originals?

214314[/snapback]

I'm not a K1 but my wife's notarial divorce decree does not indicate the date of her former marriage. If you have any official documentation of the marriage, I would take it along with the divorce decree and get both documented in the notarial book. If not, then I strongly suspect your divorce decree will be sufficient, because you will also be obtaining a certificate that certifies you are now single. That's the key document.

My advice is to obtain and submit notarial translations of ANY required Chinese language documents for submission to the US Consulate. So, yes, your police certificate and single certificate will need to be notarial translations as well.

So, yes, your police certificate and single certificate will need to be notarial translations as well.

214341[/snapback]

Many thanks.

I'm not Chinese. I'm a foreigner in China, my fiancee is in the USA. I'm scheduled for K1 Visa interview in Guangzhou next week. Does anyone have an idea of what K1 interveiw is like for a foreigner in China?

All my documents are in English except for my police certificate (obtianed in China) which is translated and notatized.

Thanks for your response!

Guest pushbrk

So, yes, your police certificate and single certificate will need to be notarial translations as well.

214341[/snapback]

Many thanks.

I'm not Chinese. I'm a foreigner in China, my fiancee is in the USA. I'm scheduled for K1 Visa interview in Guangzhou next week. Does anyone have an idea of what K1 interveiw is like for a foreigner in China?

All my documents are in English except for my police certificate (obtianed in China) which is translated and notatized.

214342[/snapback]

That's a horse of a different color. We deal pretty exclusively with Chinese Citizens coming to the USA as Fiance or Wife of US Citizens.

What specifically are you being asked to bring to the interview?

Police certificate from what country in what language?

Single Certificate? From what country in what language?

Divorced in what country and certificate in what language?

214342[/snapback]

That's a horse of a different color. We deal pretty exclusively with Chinese Citizens coming to the USA as Fiance or Wife of US Citizens.

214344[/snapback]

I'm a fiance of a US citizen. I got police certicates in all countries I resided since age 16.

I'm asked to bring the same documents required by Chinese. Divorced in my country, not in China. Obtianed my divorce certificate in my own country. All documents are in English except police certificate obtained in China which is translated to English and notarized.

Single certificate from my embassy in China.

At the time of KI petition filing my fiancee and I agreed that I should get my visa in China, hence it was indicated in my petition. Don't think that's odd!

Guest pushbrk

214342[/snapback]

214344[/snapback]

I'm a fiance of a US citizen. I got police certicates in all countries I resided since age 16.

I'm asked to bring the same documents required by Chinese. Divorced in my country, not in China. Obtianed my divorce certificate in my own country. All documents are in English except police certificate obtained in China which is translated to English and notarized.

Single certificate from my embassy in China.

At the time of KI petition filing my fiancee and I agreed that I should get my visa in China, hence it was indicated in my petition. Don't think that's odd!

214352[/snapback]

Assuming the single certificate from your Embassy is also in English, it sounds to me like you have all the bases covered. The single certificate is what qualifies you to be a "fiance" and to marry in the USA within 90 days of arrival. The divorce decree is backup for that. A marriage certificate would be overkill.

Assuming the single certificate from your Embassy is also in English, it sounds to me like you have all the bases covered. The single certificate is what qualifies you to be a "fiance" and to marry in the USA within 90 days of arrival. The divorce decree is backup for that. A marriage certificate would be overkill.

214356[/snapback]

Yeah, the single certificate is also in English.

Many thanks for your quick response.

I will gladly appreciate your timely response to my concerns below. I'm scheduled for K1 interview on the next week. I can't wait to read  your postings to my concerns. Thanks for your help.

214314[/snapback]

My SO only had a divorce certificate;notorized and translated.She was in the same circumstance as you.Main thing is this is proving the marraige is OVER.Sometimes the VO want's to know the whereabouts of the previous husband.These cases are always different.I'm thinking the majority of evidence and "their feel" of the cases are early upon the filing of the 129/130 petitions,as with the pictures,phone logs,etc.,submitted along with the petition.In your case of not having a marraige certificate,I would write a statement stateing this fact,and have this statement translated,if your worried about it.I hope this helps and,and I wish you luck.