Which form to fill out first..

Some states require proof of residency for ID... we had to put her on the bank account to show an mailing address for her prior to getting her ID.

Even if you don't need this, is good to get her setup on the bank account.. and I added her to the lease prior to the AOS interview to establish another proof of 'joint owner'...

For us, it was:

SSN > Bank > ID > Marriage > Add to lease > AOS

(we did no name change)

See the AOS FAQ as well, the first section is "Pre-AOS":

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11293

Larry,

Based on what a few others have experienced, I'd recommend getting her SSN, State ID and adding her to your bank account in her unmarried name as soon as possible.

In California, som have only been able to get a State ID issued for the duration of her inital visa. If this isn't the case procede as normal.

Otherwise, after you are married, go ahead and file AOS, if she will take your last name, do the name change on the I-485. Then wait 3-4 weeks and have her name changed on the SSN. But don't do anything with the state ID or Bank account. This will let her use her passport as ID for checking and other things.

Your state seems to have difficulty understanding that NOA1 for AOS is considered as a period of stay authorized by the Attorney General.

It would be nice if everyone could get on the same page. :)

Also, don't forget to go to the post office and get her name, both unmarried and married added to the delivery. Then mail her a postcard at your address, this proves that the US Postal Service acknowledges this as her address and can be used as proof of her residency. :P

Edited by LeeFisher3 (see edit history)
Hello everyone,

Li arrived at LAX safe and sound and is very happy.  We are wondering which form(s) we should fill out first for this AOS journey.

Larry

212578[/snapback]

Congratulations on her arrival!

If she would like non-Chinese seafood, take her to Jimmy's Fish in the Marketplace at 2nd/Westminster and PCH.

-James

Edited by jemmyell (see edit history)