Anyone who found a job in USA?

Guys, what have you been doing now that you are in the US? Have you started looking for a job, still looking for a job, or already has a job? Anyone share please?

I want to work, but have not found a good one yet. Any advice? Thanks

:P JR

211718[/snapback]

My wife has been here for almost 5 months now, she is a CR-1. She would like to and is anxious to go to work so she could send her money back to her family in China. I keep stressing to her how important it is for her to continue her ESL studies and be proficient in the English language. Now she is attending class 5 days a week, I would like to see her reduce that to 3 days a week and then if she would like to find a part time job that would be great.

we're K1... my wife's lack of english therefore could take some time to do ESL till we got the greencard (we never used the EAD)... but due to her lack of english, she went through every chinese paper she could get her hands on, calling anything of interest.

She has worked a few jobs at chinese doctor office... but her current job we saw in the chinese paper and also on monster.com... so I sent the person an email at first to see if they are really interested in bilingual people for the job.. she's working there now.

Based on your location, ability to communicate and background will drive your chances.. but look in papers and online (monster and yahoo, etc)

we're K1...  my wife's lack of english therefore could take some time to do ESL till we got the greencard (we never used the EAD)... but due to her lack of english, she went through every chinese paper she could get her hands on, calling anything of interest. 

She has worked a few jobs at chinese doctor office... but her current job we saw in the chinese paper and also on monster.com... so I sent the person an email at first to see if they are really interested in bilingual people for the job.. she's working there now.

Based on your location, ability to communicate and background will drive your chances.. but look in papers and online (monster and yahoo, etc)

211765[/snapback]

Does Zixuan like her new job, David?

Babysitting costs about $7/hour at my daughter's nursery school. If I work, the job has to pay quite a bit over that to be worth the effort. So far I have sent a few applications and landed one potential interview (which I give up after learned more about the commute situation). I plan to start looking again this fall after coming back from a trip to China. I know it will take some time to find that niche.

--

edited to add signature

Edited by Joanne (see edit history)

We talked about the job situation and my wife understands that her biggest barrier to getting a good job is her ability to speak and understand English. She has been in ESL classes 5 days a week for close to 7 months and should be staring a job when we return from China in July.

Most of the good Chinese restaurants would not even consider her because of her English ability. I can only tell them they missed out on a worker who is so eager work, something most of their staff has forgotten.

She will be working as a server in a retirement community dinning room, while it's not her dream job she will be able to work in a situation where everyone is her grandmother or grandfather and they love to talk. I have a feeling her English will expand so very fast in this environment and they pay $10/hour for part time help.

I have a feeling that in another year she will be working one of the nicer ladies stores and making some great commissions, she really loved this work in China and once her English will get her in the door her charm, style and drive will do the rest. Who knows, another year or two and she might just open her own specialty shop.

Babysitting costs about $7/hour at my daughter's nursery school.  If I work, the job has to pay quite a bit over that to be worth the effort.  So far I have sent a few applications and landed one potential interview (which I give up after learned more about the commute situation).  I plan to start looking again this fall after coming back from a trip to China.  I know it will take some time to find that niche.

--

edited to add signature

211783[/snapback]

My wife is looking after our son (3 year old). We paid less than 300 yuan RMB a month when our son went to kindergarten in China. Here in the States, the cost of a day care center is $1,200 - $1,400 a month. So my wife has to make more than $1,400 a month (after taxes) to be financially justifiable. We have to wait next year when our son can go to a public kindergarten. This is my wife's biggest complaint - the cost of day care.

I have no problem with my English. I speak English since I was little. But most jobs that is interesting to me here in Pennsylvania is looking for someone who has experience. I am so bored staying at home now. I am used of working, I hate being independent. I've searced thru websites but I can't find my luck. :wub:

I understand there is always a time for everything. I wish I can have a job soon.

:hug: JR

I have no problem with my English. I speak English since I was little. But most jobs that is interesting to me here in Pennsylvania is looking for someone who has experience. I am so bored staying at home now. I am used of working, I hate being independent. I've searced thru websites but I can't find my luck. :(

I understand there is always a time for everything. I wish I can have a job soon.

:) JR

211859[/snapback]

That is one of the most difficult things to overcome in the US. Young people who are in school have the same problem. Many times they will tell you they want someone with experience, but do not tell you that if you had a good job history they might give you a chance without the experience they desire.

If you can find a job to have a work history in the US it may make getting the job you want easier. Good workers are difficult to find everywhere. While it may not be the best place, WalMart or one of the department stores might be a place to begin.

Ying speaks pretty good English, but did not have the self-confidence to get a job. I had her start volunteer work at the VA hospital I worked at. After a being a volunteer for a month she felt confident enough to apply at the local Wal-Mart. Since my mom happens to work there I am sure she put in a good word for her, because she was hired the day after she submitted the application.

This seems to be a hot button issue for many.

My wife's job in China was very specialized (she was the director/manager/trainer of the announcers for the railway, as well as being an announcer herself). So her finding something along those lines is going to be impossible. But she is motivated to work just about anywhere. She knows her next position won't be as lucrative or as "prestigious" as the one she had in China. I just hope she can find something worth her while and that she sort of enjoys. Her English is still weak but she studies everyday. I had her enrolled in an ESL class but she was disappointed in their methods and felt she could learn as much or more on her own. The other factor is transportation. She doesn't drive and I would have to take her to and from wherever it it that she works.

And of course, I am still waiting on the EAD for both her and her daughter. It's a slow process, but hopefully something will happen soon. Monster.com sounds like a good place to start. Thanks.

Fred

we're K1...  my wife's lack of english therefore could take some time to do ESL till we got the greencard (we never used the EAD)... but due to her lack of english, she went through every chinese paper she could get her hands on, calling anything of interest. 

211765[/snapback]

Does Zixuan like her new job, David?

211779[/snapback]

not enthusiastic... it's just money... she called another place today to see if she can go to an interview... she goes on monday... i think this will be her first turn down (in 5 offers) while in the US.. but she says "mei guan xi"... she thinks it's good experience to just go...

My wife is working in retail (sale associate) part-time.  She doesn't have the confidence to apply for other jobs.  She worries that her English is not good enough.  I think her English is fine.

213049[/snapback]

Hong long before your wife got a job? and where and how did she apply for that position?

JR