birth certificates

You do not need the original birth certificate. You need a notorized copy from the notary where the houkou is. Don't go through unnecessary steps.

My SOs mother has heart problems and was aggrevated trying to get the original which was far away. Her fathers skin was cracking and bleeding from the severe cold. They had to get up 5am every morning for a long walk to the bus, which was also very cold and had to ride for 2 hours. It was a very difficult trip for them and her mother is having problems with her health as a result of that trip. This process is unduly harsh and affects the health and well being of the Chinese and US families.

The US goverment is not concerned about this. Currently they are considerring legalizing illegals with no background checks, birth certificates, or medical exams. They did this before and its the same problem. That did not solve anything.

Guest pushbrk
You do not need the original birth certificate.  You need a notorized copy from the notary where the houkou is.  Don't go through unnecessary steps.

My SOs mother has heart problems and was aggrevated trying to get the original which was far away.  Her fathers skin was cracking and bleeding from the severe cold.  They had to get up 5am every morning for a long walk to the bus, which was also very cold and had to ride for 2 hours.  It was a very difficult trip for them and her mother is having problems with her health as a result of that trip.  This process is unduly harsh and affects the health and well being of the Chinese and US families.

The US goverment is not concerned about this.  Currently they are considerring legalizing illegals with no background checks, birth certificates, or medical exams.  They did this before and its the same problem.  That did not solve anything.

210867[/snapback]

I can't help but ask what made anybody think getting the original was needed.

A.2.4.2

Your fiancée will go back to the hospital in which she was born to get a birth certificate, then get this certificate to be notarial.

http://candleforlove.com/FAQ/CFL_FAQ_P3_Final1.htm#Q2_4

I had no idea that there is a difference between an "original" birth certificate and a "notirized" birth certificate. As far as I knew she needed a birth certificate notarized. I've posted on that in the past and thought the only way to get a birth certificate was to go to the place of birth. Before 1980 there were no birth certificates as there are in China now, I also did not know that. Maybe this will help some of the newer people out.

Guest pushbrk
A.2.4.2

Your fiancée will go back to the hospital in which she was born to get a birth certificate, then get this certificate to be notarial.

http://candleforlove.com/FAQ/CFL_FAQ_P3_Final1.htm#Q2_4

I had no idea that there is a difference between an "original" birth certificate and a "notirized" birth certificate.  As far as I knew she needed a birth certificate notarized.  I've posted on that in the past and thought the only way to get a birth certificate was to go to the place of birth.  Before 1980 there were no birth certificates as there are in China now, I also did not know that.  Maybe this will help some of the newer people out.

210871[/snapback]

So, you're saying you read just the one line you quoted and not all the other information before and after?

You guys are right.

I also did not read just one line and go off of that. But when I read Notarial birth certificate on everything, I thought it meant a notarized copy of the birth certificate from place of birth, I had no idea you could walk into the houkou and have them make one or there was such a thing and it was different from an original copy. And I believe there maybe information on the site that says go and get it from the houkou. I misunderstood.

My SO's English is very good and that helps but there is some confusion regarding certain things. I did not find out about this issue until my SO told me. Had she been on the Chinese site earlier she would have understood. I got a copy of my birth certificate and there is only one place in the US I can get it, where I was born, and I can get it through the mail (you know I got 3 of them). I did not understand the Chinese system.

I was definitely confused again. It was Me and I blame Me, not anyone here. The people on this site are fantastic and saved me time and time again. An old computer with dial up and internet troubles also does not help things. I have tried to preplan and have combed the site for information, sometimes getting ahead of myself. I may read a post and see what others have to go through, and maybe they had to travel far away because the houkou was located there. I understand now, but untimely and too late.

Confused, frustrated and stressed out. It seems like the more I read the more ridiculous the process sounded. People had to go through the craziest things and a lengthy process. I have asked for clarification on what seems to be easy questions and I was really glad I asked. A lot of this does not make sense to me, especially when it seems the ultimate decision is made off of the feeling of the VO without regards to the supporting evidence. The consulate also wants the forms they send out, not even the fillable forms printed off the governments very own web site (my SO was talking about some of the P4 forms I filled out for her on the computer). That makes a whole lot of sense.

This is my SNAFU. For those of you who are not aware of the meaning of SNAFU, look it up, it fits! (I love when they use that on kids shows) Trying to get through this and making some mistakes along the way. This whole process should not be as complicated as it is. Thanks for all your help.

Edited by whatsthehaps (see edit history)
Guest pushbrk
You guys are right.

I also did not read just one line and go off of that.  But when I read Notarial birth certificate on everything, I thought it meant a notarized copy of the birth certificate from place of birth, I had no idea you could walk into the houkou and have them make one or there was such a thing and it was different from an original copy.  And I believe there maybe information on the site that says go and get it from the houkou.  I misunderstood. 

My SO's English is very good and that helps but there is some confusion regarding certain things.  I did not find out about this issue until my SO told me.  Had she been on the Chinese site earlier she would have understood.  I got a copy of my birth certificate and there is only one place in the US I can get it, where I was born, and I can get it through the mail (you know I got 3 of them).  I did not understand the Chinese system.

I was definitely confused again.  It was Me and I blame Me, not anyone here.  The people on this site are fantastic and saved me time and time again.  An old computer with dial up and internet troubles also does not help things.  I have tried to preplan and have combed the site for information, sometimes getting ahead of myself.  I may read a post and see what others have to go through, and maybe they had to travel far away because the houkou was located there.  I understand now, but untimely and too late. 

Confused, frustrated and stressed out.  It seems like the more I read the more ridiculous the process sounded.  People had to go through the craziest things and a lengthy process.  I have asked for clarification on what seems to be easy questions and I was really glad I asked.  A lot of this does not make sense to me, especially when it seems the ultimate decision is made off of the feeling of the VO without regards to the supporting evidence.  The consulate also wants the forms they send out, not even the fillable forms printed off the governments very own web site (my SO was talking about some of the P4 forms I filled out for her on the computer).  That makes a whole lot of sense. 

This is my SNAFU.  For those of you who are not aware of the meaning of SNAFU, look it up, it fits!  (I love when they use that on kids shows)  Trying to get through this and making some mistakes along the way.  This whole process should not be as complicated as it is.  Thanks for all your help.

210973[/snapback]

Don't beat yourself up too bad. Whenever anything you think you are required to do sounds completely ridiculous, that's the time to ask for confirmation.

For instance, USCONGUZ confirmed just this morning that using the fillable pdf forms is just fine. See: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17366

You are correct.. an original is not needed/required and I've never heard anyone say you must have one.

The FAQs are a collection of member experiences and the individual comments need to be understood as just that; their particular means of accomplishing something (not necessarily the best means).

I will say, as Mike suggests, one has to read much more than a line and even more than one section. In the B/C & No B/C area, there is only one comment in four which state to get the original... And if you read the HouKou section carefully, it will also state to go get this in the Houkou when the other documents are gathered.

In defense of your snafu, I will agree with the comment that someone recently made, there's a time where there is too much information and this contributes to confusion. I recognize that the P3 FAQ in particular has too much info, much of it historical when it was not clear to people what the best means were to get something. I've left some of that in to show the troubled experiences [to avoid], but I do agree it is probably time to tighten it up and make it shorter and clearer.

Your original comments (no original is needed) are well taken and good advice to others in avoiding a repeat of your frustration.. I'll put this in the FAQ since it is to the point. Thanks and sorry for the confusion...